Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 5:53:04 PM EDT
I am looking to buy a gun from a popular classified gun website.  The thing that concerns me is that it is an expensive gun and this is a private person listing it.  My question is this, how can I securely make this transaction without concern of fraud.  Fraud from the weapon itself, and fraud from this person taking my money and giving no gun.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#2]
use an escrow service.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Using a Postal Money Order gives you the investigative arm of the USPS if something goes wrong and you get ripped off. Since it's a Federal institution the charges could be serious for the offender.

Also, is there any way to get some feedback on the seller from other members of the site? If so, ask a few questions.

Next, if no no feedback is available you are left with your instinct, or common sense. Give the seller a call, have a nice conversation with him on the phone and you may get a read on what type of person he is. If he sounds like a used car salesman or a con artist then opt out of the deal.

Don't make the deal if you your initial reaction to your conversation leaves you wondering if he's legit.

There's nothing else I can think of at this time, but that's how I handle my internet gun purchases from out of state, and thus far all have gone well.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The few times I have bought guns from private parties through one of those popular classified websites, I have sent the money to the FFL dealer that he was going to use to ship it to me. The dealer gives him my check when he gives the dealer the gun to ship to me. Most, if not all, of these types of transactions also allow for a three day inspection period and so far I have not been disapointed.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The few times I have bought guns from private parties through one of those popular classified websites, I have sent the money to the FFL dealer that he was going to use to ship it to me. The dealer gives him my check when he gives the dealer the gun to ship to me. Most, if not all, of these types of transactions also allow for a three day inspection period and so far I have not been disapointed.

Very good point, if he'll agree to those terms it will certainly limit the room for misrepresentation because you can always call the FFL and ask him if the weapon is in the advertised condition, etc. before you send the money order. I would still use a Postal MO though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top