Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 5:24:07 PM EDT
I've been shooting Beretta 391's since they first came out and generally have good luck with them. I have had 2 failures so far, broke a bolt and a link on separate occasions. My last 391 that I got back in August has been a real dog with FTF problems. On average about 5 every round. I do not like the cheap choke wrench they provide with the extended Optima chokes. To top it off they don't even put notches in the choke to allow for using a good wrench.

All the little nagging problems coupled with their horrible customer service prompted me to buy a Browning Gold Sporting. I'll be shooting it for the first time tomorrow. What has been your experience putting 1000's of rounds through a 391 or Gold? What do you think of Beretta or Browning service?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a Benelli.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Buy a Benelli.

You rarely see a Benelli on the sporting range. They're just not that reliable.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had zero problems shooting clays with my Beretta AL391. My chokes have notches in them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#4]

I've had zero problems shooting clays with my Beretta AL391. My chokes have notches in them.

Do you have the new style Optima extended chokes?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Remington 1187 Trap series.

That thing runs like a Swiss watch. I shit you not, over thousands of rounds I've had ZERO problems outside of ammunition related problems (Sometimes reloads end up...well...not loaded....)
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot a Franchi Alcione Sporting Clays 12ga.  Have fired roughly 5-6000+ rounds in the past year. Have not had anything break, no problems whatsoever. Gun is rock solid, been shooting in the mid 80's with it and broke my first 92 a few months ago. Takes Beretta mobil chokes too so I bought Briley X2's and their speed wrench.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Do you have the new style Optima extended chokes?

Nope, flush mobilechokes. Extended chokes shouldn't need a wrench, just your hand.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#8]

That thing runs like a Swiss watch. I shit you not, over thousands of rounds I've had ZERO problems outside of ammunition related problems (Sometimes reloads end up...well...not loaded....)

A guy on my summer team has an 1187. I don't think he ever cleans it and it never fails him. Sometimes 1187's are great, sometimes they're boat anchors.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Buy a Benelli.

I work part-time for a Benelli dealer. We probably sell 150-200 Benelli shotguns a year and I might have 2 with problems that Benelli takes care of quickly.  One customer recently bought a new M2 and went to S. America where he shot over 3000 rounds shooting doves in 3 days. He said the Brownings and Berettas were choking with fouling and his M2 kept on ticking. Yep they're not reliable.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 11-87 Sporting Clays NP.  Came with a nickled reciever, Briley chokes, and 30" ported barrel.

I could not be happier.

It shoots soft, is clays-reliable, and if something does break parts are everywhere and sometimes 1100 parts will work in a pinch (O-ring is the most likely thing to break, and a rubber band will work in a pinch).

I have never had anything break on mine though.

The wishbone behind the bolt popped out of place once or twice, but I just slipped it back in.

However everyone I know with Berettas love them so maybe you should stick with them.  They do cycle faster.  That however doesn't matter to me because by the time I recover from the recoil on get on the next target its already cycled.  

Don't get a Benelli.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't torque the snot out of them. Just a little snug so they don't come loose every station.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Buy a Benelli.

I work part-time for a Benelli dealer. We probably sell 150-200 Benelli shotguns a year and I might have 2 with problems that Benelli takes care of quickly. One customer recently bought a new M2 and went to S. America where he shot over 3000 rounds shooting doves in 3 days. He said the Brownings and Berettas were choking with fouling and his M2 kept on ticking. Yep they're not reliable.

I'm refering to FTF's with target loads. A Benelli is probably as durable as any. You just don't see that many at a sporting clays range. The MN state shoot averages about 350 shooters every year and you would be lucky to see 2 out of all.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#13]
They also kick too damn hard.

Benelli might be #1 in the duck blind but you rarely see them on the clays course.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a Gold Hunter to shoo clays without any problems.  Keeps working no matter what.  Nice balance and decent price.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

A guy on my summer team has an 1187. I don't think he ever cleans it and it never fails him. Sometimes 1187's are great, sometimes they're boat anchors.

I had real bad luck shooting taget loads in an 1187, it wasn't the trap series though, the loads just didnt have the power to open the bolt after as little as 10 rounds were fired. My 1100 Special never fails however.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had real bad luck shooting taget loads in an 1187, it wasn't the trap series though, the loads just didnt have the power to open the bolt after as little as 10 rounds were fired. My 1100 Special never fails however.

Did you try replacing the O-ring?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Winchester 1300 ranger. This year I broke 25 for 25 (1st ever) and shot 12 doves (the limit) with 14 rounds on the 2nd day of season (best ever) did really good all season. Never broke, never jammed, and this is a 15 yr old gun that I have used every year. I spank others with much more expensive weapons. Does this make it the best? It is for me and I wouldn't trade it for anything. (well maybe a Million bucks tax free) In other words get somthing and use it and practice with it. Pumps are hard to beat, and What do you need to fast follow up shot for. Should have got it with the 1st one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Buy a Benelli.

They have to be kept clean (autos). They are the best feeling shotgun out there IMO.

A friend who never shot skeet before can do pretty good with a Benelli... With any other weapon he gets 0/10. He's tried Remingtons, Berretas, Brownings and even a Mossberg.

Everyone I know agrees the Benelli autos just point and feel awesome.

I dont own one but might get one later... The .20 GA is only 5 pounds and is an awesome weapon. Extremly light and feels great....

Keep a bottle of oil with you (duck hunting and such) and you should be fine. I've personly never had one jam on me, although my friend who has one says they do have problems if you use lowpower/cheap ammo and dont keep it clean.

Not a SHTF weapon for sure but for a dove/squirrel/rabbit/ range gun they are worth having.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Winchester 1300 ranger. This year I broke 25 for 25 (1st ever) and shot 12 doves (the limit) with 14 rounds on the 2nd day of season (best ever) did really good all season. Never broke, never jammed, and this is a 15 yr old gun that I have used every year. I spank others with much more expensive weapons. Does this make it the best? It is for me and I wouldn't trade it for anything. (well maybe a Million bucks tax free) In other words get somthing and use it and practice with it. Pumps are hard to beat, and What do you need to fast follow up shot for. Should have got it with the 1st one.

You're right. But go to a big shoot where you fire 300-500 rounds in a weekend and you'll be looking to trade that pump gun.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're right. But go to a big shoot where you fire 300-500 rounds in a weekend and you'll be looking to trade that pump gun.

Did a Mexico Dove shoot about 2 yrs ago and used a rem 870 and I'll tell you what, I'm not sure how many rounds I shot but I don't wanna do it again so you got me there. I had a numb shoulder after the 1st afternoon hunt. Could'nt touch the barrel it was about red. I do own a X2 but don't shoot it that much. Just like the pump too much and used to it too much.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did a Mexico Dove shoot about 2 yrs ago and used a rem 870 and I'll tell you what, I'm not sure how many rounds I shot but I don't wanna do it again so you got me there. I had a numb shoulder after the 1st afternoon hunt. Could'nt touch the barrel it was about red. I do own a X2 but don't shoot it that much. Just like the pump too much and used to it too much.

How was that? Always wanted to do an Agentina dove shoot but it cost to much. Mexico might be a good alternative.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Stick with the Beretta.  I don't know of anyone shooting a Gold for sporting that hasn't had endless problems.

I'm tight, so I shoot O/U's; a 12 gauge 525 Sporting, a 28 gauge XS, and rarely my wife's White Onyx.

I started Sporting Clays with a fixed choke A5, and had the bruises to go along.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Stick with the Beretta.  I don't know of anyone shooting a Gold for sporting that hasn't had endless problems.

I'm tight, so I shoot O/U's; a 12 gauge 525 Sporting, a 28 gauge XS, and rarely my wife's White Onyx.

I started Sporting Clays with a fixed choke A5, and had the bruises to go along.

I still have a good collection of Berettas. The Browning is just an experiment.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How was that? Always wanted to do an Agentina dove shoot but it cost to much. Mexico might be a good alternative.

It is some of the best shooting that I have ever seen. I never have been to S. America so I can't compare. The sky is black with dove. I went just south of Brownsville Tx. I paid just under $1000 bucks for 4 days and thats all inclusive. You have to fly but guess what Southwest flys to Brownsville. You gotta tip the bird boy but its worth it (gave him $50). He came back with 2 doves when I only knocked down one. I used their shotgun cause its a pain to take yours down there but thats in the price. Really enjoyed it and want to go back for another.

Here is a web site for it.   http://www.mexicobirdhunt.com. Just Google Mexico dove hunt and you will get alot of hits. I noticed too that the prices have gone up a little. I really recommend it.  

Got a question for you. I have some minor pitting on my barrel (outside) and would like to get rid of it. Whats the best way? Its a blued bbl.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Buy a Benelli.

I have a new SBE II.  Thanks for the tip.  I'll remember not to take it  to the range.

Since the original  idea behind sporting clays  was to simulate and practice HUNTING situations, I'll stick with the shotgun I HUNT.

Out of the box.. three trips to the range,  100-150 rds per trip. Federal 1 1/8 loads from Wally World.  Three duck hunts...about two boxes of  3" DryLocks

Zero FTF or FTE.

Then, I cleaned it.

Going to the range next week for another couple of hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I am partial to the 390s over the 391s. You can still buy new 390s in wood or synthetic at Dick's or in synthetic at Wal-Mart. I just like the wider feel of the forearm and have enjoyed real decent results with my 390. I have not had the first problem with any of my Berettas.

The original steel recievered 1100s seem to keep a solid following, also.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is some of the best shooting that I have ever seen. I never have been to S. America so I can't compare. The sky is black with dove. I went just south of Brownsville Tx. I paid just under $1000 bucks for 4 days and thats all inclusive. You have to fly but guess what Southwest flys to Brownsville. You gotta tip the bird boy but its worth it (gave him $50). He came back with 2 doves when I only knocked down one. I used their shotgun cause its a pain to take yours down there but thats in the price. Really enjoyed it and want to go back for another.

Here is a web site for it.   http://www.mexicobirdhunt.com. Just Google Mexico dove hunt and you will get alot of hits. I noticed too that the prices have gone up a little. I really recommend it.  

Got a question for you. I have some minor pitting on my barrel (outside) and would like to get rid of it. Whats the best way? Its a blued bbl.

Don't know what you can do with the pits but try this for the rust. oxpho-blue creme They claim you can apply it over rust but I've never tried it myself.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy a Benelli.

I have a new SBE II.  Thanks for the tip.  I'll remember not to take it  to the range.

Since the original  idea behind sporting clays  was to simulate and practice HUNTING situations, I'll stick with the shotgun I HUNT.

Out of the box.. three trips to the range,  100-150 rds per trip. Federal 1 1/8 loads from Wally World.  Three duck hunts...about two boxes of  3" DryLocks

Zero FTF or FTE.

Then, I cleaned it.

Going to the range next week for another couple of hundred rounds.

Other parts of the country may be different. All I'm saying is here in MN if you look for other Benelli shooters on a sporting course you're going to be lonely. I'm personally not trying to put them down. It it works for you shoot it and enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#29]
+1 for the Browning Gold.

I had a Gold Hunter awhile back and it was awesome for clay shooting. Very reliable, low recoil, balances well, and points easily. I got into a financial bind so I had to sell it.

But I missed it so much I just bought another one identical to my old one.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I shot my new Gold for the first time this morning. It was a balmy 27 with lite winds and the gun functioned perfect. Shot an 84/100 at 5 stand, then a 22 and a 25 at skeet. I'll take that for the first time out. So far so good...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I had a Gold Clays edition.  I ended up selling it because it didn't fit me right, but it worked great while I had it.

My 1187 just fit me 100% better.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Depending on how minor it is, go get some pretty fine grade steel wool and bump the pitting with that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Browning 525 Sporting Clays model.  The palm swell is awsome.  I went with the 28" barrel.  Some like the 30" for skeet and trap, but for clays and 5-station I just like a bit shorter barrel.  

The 525 is the best bird buster I have ever hoisted up, bar none.  Lots of other fine guns, but that one fits me perfect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top