Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 6:02:53 AM EDT
I need to read up some more so I have more knowledge when all the liberals in my family get together on holidays.  Maybe something that explains the "wording" used back in the day and so forth.  What have you guys read in the past that you might reccomend?

Shootemup
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:09:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Book of Virtues

Our Sacred Honor

both by William Bennett

both highly recommended

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:57:11 AM EDT
[#3]

I remember enjoying 1787: The Grand Convention by Clinton Rossiter.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Also...

Greatness to Spare (Fehrenbach) - stories re: the Founding Fathers

Great Letters in American History ((Janney)

We, The People : Great Documents of teh American Nation (Agel)

That Every Man Be Armed (Halbrook)  - best detailed history and treatise defending teh Second Amendment

The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History (Woods) -debunks liberal telling of US history
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Why? tc556guy says they are irrellevant.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Depending on how old you are it might be worth checking the used book stores, real ones in town and the ones on the net, for an old history book.

I am a bit over 30 and my high school books sucked.

I have some older history books, mostly my dad's college stuff and some other stuff I found here and there.  These older books give you more ideas on what to get specific about learning.

I think it helps to go for a broad overview and then get more and more specific.

I am making notes of those listed though since good history books are one of the things I don't mind buying and having on my book shelf since there is a lot of crap history stuff out there as well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#7]
It disappoints me a bit this thread has gotten as little attention as it has.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#8]

This is a good site to look thru (no affiliation).  I heard David Barton speak one time,  he gives only the facts.  You start to heat up when you hear about the things that have happened with our country.

www.wallbuilders.com
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It disappoints me a bit this thread has gotten as little attention as it has.

+1

and btt
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Federalist Papers

www.amazon.com/gp/product/0140444955/qid=1135955088/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-9526119-0772058?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

I have not read some of the other books listed so far, but this (above) is my recommendation.  Not only does it give insight to the language of the time, but is directly authored by some of the framers.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Patriots by Languth
Rebels and Redcoats by Scheer  and others

I found one when I did a paper in college and it was a comparison of the leaders in the American Revolution, French Revolution and both English and French monarchies.  Wish I could find a copy now.

Comparing the Americans against almost all of the others showed what a collection of scholars, thinkers and doers came together in one place at one time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top