Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/29/2005 10:13:48 PM EDT

news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20051229/en_tv_eo/18055;_ylt=AhqQrgajrhqSKj.bsvddtHp2F78C;_ylu=X3oDMTA4dDg2MG9mBHNlYwMxNjk3

"South Park" Parked by Complaints

By Sarah Hall Thu Dec 29, 5:50 PM ET

Did Comedy Central grant the Catholic League its Christmas wish?

Following the Dec. 7 season finale of South Park, titled "Bloody Mary," the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights slammed the network for its irreverent portrayal of church icons and sought to block the episode from being rebroadcast.

It appears the group may have met with success. A repeat of the finale was scheduled to air Wednesday night, but was seemingly pulled from the Comedy Central lineup without explanation.

In the episode, a statue of the Virgin Mary is believed to be bleeding from its rear end, inspiring faithful parishioners to flock from miles around to be healed by the miraculous blood.

Eventually, Pope Benedict XVI is called in to investigate, whereupon he determines that the statue is actually menstruating and thus is nothing special.

"A chick bleeding out her vagina is no miracle," the pope declares in the episode. "Chicks bleed out their vaginas all the time."

Somewhat predictably, the Catholic League was incensed by the satirical portrayal of the Virgin Mary and the pope and by the fact that the episode aired on the day before the Catholic Church celebrated its Feast of the Immaculate Conception.

The conservative group demanded an apology from Viacom, Comedy Central's parent company, to Roman Catholics everywhere and "a pledge that this episode be permanently retired and not be made available on DVD."

The Catholic League also sought a personal condemnation from Viacom board member Joseph A. Califano Jr., who the group noted is a "practicing Catholic."

Califano was only too happy to oblige. After viewing the episode, he released a statement calling the episode an "appalling and disgusting portrayal of the Virgin Mary."

"It is particularly troubling to me as a Roman Catholic that the segment has run on the eve and day of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, a holy day for Roman Catholics," Califano said.

Califano also pledged to have Viacom president and CEO Tom Freston review the episode.

Comedy Central did not respond to a request for comment on why "Bloody Mary" was yanked from the schedule.

Screencaps of the episode were no longer available on Comedy Central's press site, or on comedycentral.com's South Park section.

The Catholic League previously tangled with Comedy Central in 2002 over a South Park episode titled "Red Hot Catholic Love," but failed to produce any results.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The Pope is in the closet.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#2]
And the Pope (Benedict XVI) said quote 'A chick bleeding out her vagina is no miracle. Chicks bleed out their vaginas all the time.'
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#3]

"A chick bleeding out her vagina is no miracle," the pope declares in the episode. "Chicks bleed out their vaginas all the time."

That was a good episode.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Stan, I would say that your dad rwacks a disipwine.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:35:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:07:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:14:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Message to uptight religious asswipes:

South Park is not meant for you, so if you avoid such parodies of pop culture, you're likely not to get offended. Now, kindly go someplace in your head where only happy thoughts dwell. Idiots.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:15:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Message to uptight religious asswipes:

South Park is not meant for you, so if you avoid such parodies of pop culture, you're likely not to get offended. Now, kindly go someplace in your head where only happy thoughts dwell. Idiots.

A big +1 !
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:40:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:50:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow..... That's amazing Gracie..... I miss having cable.  Haven't caught a new episode in awhile.

So, um.....why were they watching it anyway?  I mean, isn't this the same kind of tactic used to get the V-chip, and channel blockers?

Hell, nothing works better than JUST FUCKING CHANGING THE CHANNEL!!!

Give people 500 channels to choose from, and some idiots have to decide that the stuff THEY don't like shouldn't be seen by others.

Damn bible thumpers are worse than the "flaming liberal gays" at pushing their agenda down your throat.

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:15:51 AM EDT
[#11]
yet you bitch and moan when tv shows gunowners as fat stupid rednecks plotting to lynch blacks and overthrow the gubmint...

everybody's got their sacred cow.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:33:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Limewire

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:44:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I would expect heathens to act like heathens. No skin off my nose. Revenge is mine, I will repay. Sayeth the Lord. I have work to do. I have no time to scold people for using naughty language and the like.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:48:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I must see that episode now.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:51:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
yet you bitch and moan when tv shows gunowners as fat stupid rednecks plotting to lynch blacks and overthrow the gubmint...

everybody's got their sacred cow.

Hey, let's leave the Hindus out of this.

I also bitch about watching movies and the crap sound effects tehy give guns...especially Glocks getting racheting hammer pulls.....like in Fantastic Four that I watched this week.  I'll watch it again (gotta love Jessica Alba) and probably bitch about it otloud each time, but the rest of the movie I liked.

As for TV shows portraying gunowners badly.... I typically don't watch them if they offend me, I have NEVER told the maker that they can not show it again... if they do, I simply don't watch it.  Kinda like any of a hundred plus reasons for not watching shows I don't like (or movies I didn't like when I did watch them) when they are re-broadcast on TV.

I absolutely hated the Spielberg flick AI after a certain point... and told people who hadn't seen it, to just turn off the movie at the point when he falls into the water.  I'll gladly watch the movie again...and promptly stop it at that point. Movie over....nice ending.

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:56:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Is there another way this episode can be seen?

I missed it
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:03:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I must be OLD! Never seen it,but somethings ought to be off limits.I think maybe this is one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:04:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I would expect heathens to act like heathens. No skin off my nose. Revenge is mine, I will repay. Sayeth the Lord. I have work to do. I have no time to scold people for using naughty language and the like.

well said!

Do unto others and all that sort of stuff.

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:07:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I missed it

Limewire
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:17:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I must be OLD! Never seen it,but somethings ought to be off limits.I think maybe this is one.

Got a little sand in your vagina?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:21:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Has South Park not offended every group/race/religion/nationality at some point?
It's one of the funniest things about the show,  that no one is spared a lashing...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:28:03 AM EDT
[#22]
what???  you mean the catholic church has stopped covering up child molestations long enough to complain about a show that mocks them?

i was raised as a catholic.  i've had nothing but good experiences, but the bullshit the heads of the church spout and the hipocriticism they practice makes me sick.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:28:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:31:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I missed it

Limewire

Wait for it to come out on DVD?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:33:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I missed it

Limewire

Or 30 minutes to download.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:41:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I bet Jesus drives a Corvette.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:44:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The Pope looks like he should be building Death Stars, not chasing after cartoons.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:53:52 AM EDT
[#28]
The vatican encouraging flocks of worshippers to look at a tree knot is not ridiculous?

The catholic church is so far out of touch with life that it's a laughable institution.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:13:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:26:42 AM EDT
[#30]
and they weren't pissed about the "Red Hot Catholic Love" episode?  geez - South Park offends everybody equally, and points out the BULLSHIT while they are at it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:29:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I missed it

Limewire

if it is true, the article alludes to it not being available on DVD....I guess the slam on the 700 club and catholic love would disappear as well...?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:50:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
link to south park episodes

Oh thank you!

Funny how the scientology guys didn't say shit but the Catholic church raises hell and gets a episode banned?

HMMMM they should of had Jane and John Doe do all the work again.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:52:23 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I missed it

Limewire

if it is true, the article alludes to it not being available on DVD....I guess the slam on the 700 club and catholic love would disappear as well...?

Here is a link to a torrent file for an AVI version of that episode -

mrtwig.net/torrents/SouthPark_914_-_Bloody_Mary_(avi_MrTwig_net).torrent

Here is a direct download link for an RM version of the episode, much smaller filesize (use Real Alternative if you dont want to use Real Player) -

multiftp.free.fr/z64/file.php?id=17
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:52:48 AM EDT
[#34]
I consider myself a 'Christian' although I'm not uber religious, when I come across something that offends me I make a decision for myself not to watch it, I don't go on a 'Crusade' to ban it from the airwaves.

I personally don't like RAP or Hiphop, (I would consider it to be form of 'torture' to be 'made' to watch it) but I don't try to run MTV out of business, I simply 'choose' not to watch that channel, or support those so called 'artists'.

I think the Church has much larger problems within it's own organization to be tossing stones at any glass houses, as far as I'm concerned they are in no position to be so 'self righteous'....YMMV
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Catholic Girls

Catholic Girls
With a tiny little mustache
Catholic Girls
Do you know how they go?
Catholic Girls
In the Rectory Basement
Father Riley's a fairy
But it don't bother Mary
Catholic Girls
At the CYO
Catholic Girls
Do you know how they go?
Catholic Girls
There can be no replacement
How do they go, after the show?

All the way
That's the way they go
Every day
And none of their mamas ever seem to know
Hip-Hip-Hooray
For all the class they show
There's nothing like a Catholic Girl
At the CYO
When they learn to blow...

They're learning to blow
All the Catholic Boys!

Warren Cuccurullo...

Catholic Boys!  

Kinda young, kinda WOW!

Catholic Boys!

Vinnie Colaiuta...

Chorus:
Where are they now?
Did they all take The Vow?

Catholic Girls

Carmenita Scarfone!

Catholic Girls

Hey! She gave me VD!

Catholic Girls!

Toni Carbone!

Chorus:
With a tongue like a cow
She could make you go WOW!
VD vowdy vootie
Right away
That's the way they go
Every day
Whenever their mamas take them to a show
Matinee
Pass the popcorn please
There's nothing like a Catholic Girl
With her hand in the box
When she's on her knees
She was on her knees,
My little Catholic Girl

Chorus:
In a little white dress
Catholic Girls
They never confess
Catholic Girls
I got one for a cousin
I love how they go
So send me a dozen
Catholic Girls
OOOOOOH!
Catholic Girls
OOOOOOH!
(etc.)

Central Scrutinizer:
This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...
Joe had a girl friend named Mary.
She used to go the church club every week.
They'd meet each other there
Hold hands
And think Pure Thoughts
But one night at the Social Club meeting
Mary didn't show up...
She was sucking cock backstage at The Armory
In order to get a pass
To see some big rock group for free.  

AB

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:10:09 AM EDT
[#36]
But Southpark bangs on every one, every group. If they were out just to bang on gun owners, or religious people only, then Id understand the complaints. They are an equal opportunity basher.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:22:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Change the channel if you don't like it.  

That being said..

South Park, as a whole, is a piss-poor excuse for entertainment.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Maybe 5 out all SP shows offend (gross) me . Hell I cant walk down the Pearl street mall and not be offended by 10 or 15 differant morons in an afternoon .

That was one of the offenders though . Parts were funny as hell .
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#39]
The skit was probably quite funny.

But the timing was rather poorly chosen.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#40]
I guess they didn't read the disclaimer

...and should not be viewed by anyone.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#41]
What a bunch of whiny little girls.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

God, is that you?

No, that can't be you, you said your handle was "MadAirsofter" or something of the like.

Religion forum, thataway--------->
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
The vatican encouraging flocks of worshippers to look at a tree knot is not ridiculous?

The catholic church is so far out of touch with life that it's a laughable institution.

Um

when did they do that?

All "miricles" are investigated by the vatican, and about 99% are rejected actually.  They have a very thorough process.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#44]
That's it!  I'm getting a better vantage point to deal with all of this...........

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#45]
I was offended by that episode, so I changed the channel.  Watching television is a voluntary choice, and we should not sacrifice our freedoms.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#46]
It's not like this is the first time religion was attacked on South Park.

They did a show about the story of the Mormon religion that was hillarious.
They did a show about the story of Scientology that was hillarious
They did a show about Jesus boxing Satan and getting his ass kicked until Satan threw the fight to win money.
Jesus has a talk show
The thing that started South Park was a short clip of Jesus fighting Santa.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Lets review:
1000's of American Catholic Priests raping little boys (and some girls) gets.......silence.
A freaking cartoon making fun of retards who worship idols of the Virgin Mary....people get pissed off.

Hello?
McFly?
Anybody?

What a bunch of Catholic fucktards!
(I used to admit I was Catholic)

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Lets review:
1000's of American Catholic Priests raping little boys (and some girls) gets.......silence.
A freaking cartoon making fun of retards who worship idols of the Virgin Mary....people get pissed off.

Hello?
McFly?
Anybody?

What a bunch of Catholic fucktards!
(I used to admit I was Catholic)

Name the over a thousand Catholic Priests who molested little boys and girls.  Show me the names.    
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#50]

People need to lighten the fuck up.

If the Catholic Church doesn't like what a privately owned televesion station is showing on Cable, they can buy the station and change the programming.  It's called freedom, and it's called capitalism.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top