Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 6:53:20 PM EDT
watching cnn makes me wanna puke.  cry, cry, cry.   War means destruction.  I ain't a video game.  Sometimes crap gets blown up. Sometimes it's the wrong stuff or there's collateral damage.  It's war.   Just ranting. God bless America and our troops.  I'm glad I don't have to say Heil Hitler.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#1]
More people died in combat from Iwo Jima... then in the last few years of the conflict from Iraq AND Afghanistan combined.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, a lot of people were candy asses. Massive protesting, pro-Hitler stuff, imperalism, etc. protests. same shit as today. Led by folks like Lindburgh, which is like Hollywood stuff today.

Those people just don't brag about it anymore. Seeing as how they supported the execution of 11 million people in the Holocaust.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually the problem with many people in America is that they have no idea what combat is really like, and have never had their house accidently bombed and their entire family killed or injured by a foreign occupying army. Until you've been in combat or been the victim of an accidental stray bomb with almost no compensation, and now no home or family, please shut up about how great war is and how we should invade every country and fuck all the anti-war pussies. If you are so gung-ho, join up or become an imbedded war photographer.

And don't debate that accidents can happen and it's all for the "greater good", because who gives a fuck about the greater good when you have no legs or your family is dead, your house is gone, etc.

- rem
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#4]
"I'm glad we weren't candy asses during WWII"

What's this "we" stuff? Are you 80 years old? Our "greatest generation" pussified their own children and The United Cunts Of America is what we are left with.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#5]
ah, the good old days that never were
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#6]
it stems from how since WWII that has not been a real threat , It is not a question of if we can win (like WWII)  it is can we win with out causing  political discord
We roll over everyone quickly and then are pulled back prematurely before we finish the job

In one of  Tom Clancys books he discibes it as the US is a really mean invincible dog  but it is on a really short leash , occasionally someone mistakes that leash for weakness and gets tooo close

I think it is a pretty good analogy
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I watched a History Channel show on the Guadalcanal battle this evening.  Six months of fighting cost 7,000 dead Marines, 30,000 dead Japanese, and the Marines who left the island after winning the battle were pretty much all medical invalids from the poor diet, malaria & other diseases, dysentery, etc.

We've been at war in Iraq since 2003 and lost just over 2,000 dead, and the Democrats keep chanting "We can't win!"

It makes me sick.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Remember the Bataan Death March!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I watched a History Channel show on the Guadalcanal battle this evening.  Six months of fighting cost 7,000 dead Marines, 30,000 dead Japanese, and the Marines who left the island after winning the battle were pretty much all medical invalids from the poor diet, malaria & other diseases, dysentery, etc.

We've been at war in Iraq since 2003 and lost just over 2,000 dead, and the Democrats keep chanting "We can't win!"

It makes me sick.

+1.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It makes me sick.

+1.

Ok fellas, you do know that a GREAT majority of this country was dead-set AGAINST another war before 1941, right? You do know were essentially an isolationist country going in the Great War, yes?

Just checking....cause by your definition, alot of the people who ended up spilling their blood in WWII were "candy asses".

We talked ourselves into WWII, and ended up fighting it to the end, but we didn't start out that way.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#11]
It surprises most people, but WWII was fought mostly by draftees, much more than even Vietnam.  When you count the guys who volunteers once drafted the figure climbs to over 2/3 draftees in service.  So one should take note that even after the country is attacked, the nation cannot expect large numbers to flock to its service.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It makes me sick.

+1.

Ok fellas, you do know that a GREAT majority of this country was dead-set AGAINST another war before 1941, right? You do know were essentially an isolationist country going in the Great War, yes?

Just checking....cause by your definition, alot of the people who ended up spilling their blood in WWII were "candy asses".

We talked ourselves into WWII, and ended up fighting it to the end, but we didn't start out that way.

I dont believe kbaker or red-bucket were calling the WWII service men "Candy asses", but rather comparing casualty rates between one battle in WWII and an entire war in Iraq and the will/persistance to keep going despite those casualties. Anyways, none of those draftees were "Candy Asses" as they actually went, and did their job, and sometimes died in the proccess of that job <----- now that does not sound like the definition of a candy ass to me.

Edited becuase I suck at spelling
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It makes me sick.

+1.

I dont believe kbaker or red-bucket were calling the WWII service men "Candy asses", but rather comparing casualty rates between one battle in WWII and an entire war in Iraq and the will/persistance to keep going despite those casualties. Anyways, none of those draftees were "Candy Asses" as they actually went, and did their job, and sometimes died in the proccess of that job <----- know that does not sound like the definition of a candy ass to me.

I understand what they were saying, that many in the country don't have the stomach for war.....and that's true today, just like it was in 1935.

And, when people who don't think they have the strength to fight are forced to, many rise to the occasion......exactly what happened to the men of the late-30's, and they ended up "the Great Generation".

That was my point. We weren't gung-ho right wing nationalists before WWII, we were mostly trying to avoid conflict, which is what the "candy asses" of today are doing, right or wrong.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Actually the problem with many people in America is that they have no idea what combat is really like, and have never had their house accidently bombed and their entire family killed or injured by a foreign occupying army. Until you've been in combat or been the victim of an accidental stray bomb with almost no compensation, and now no home or family, please shut up about how great war is and how we should invade every country and fuck all the anti-war pussies. If you are so gung-ho, join up or become an imbedded war photographer.

And don't debate that accidents can happen and it's all for the "greater good", because who gives a fuck about the greater good when you have no legs or your family is dead, your house is gone, etc.

- rem

Here is a little life lesson for you:

Life is not fair, and life sometimes sucks. Thats true even more so in a war. But, we have a choice, it can suck for the other guys or it can suck for us at home..... for people with any common sense that is a no brainer.

Life will never be fair, and life will always suck for some people, that has been the case since mankinds existance began and always will be. To think otherwise shows a lack of understanding of reaility. We can let it suck for us or make it suck for the other guy.... sometimes before he has a chance to make it suck for us and before they gain an advantage. And sometimes we have to take one bad bunch out just to gain enough of a foothold to go after the rest, or move the fight to thier backyard.

Yeah, life sucks for innocents caught in the crossfire.... but of course all your examples are of OUR fire, you don't mention all the suicide bombers and IED's that target civilains and have killed far more than US forces has..... that certainly shows your bias.

Guess what...life also sucks when your house catches fire, when a drunk driver hits your car and kills your family, when a tsunami hits, when a big earthquake hits, when your in a cafe or on a bus and some fanatic who has been promised 72 virgins blows himself up........... or when someone flies an airliner you are on for vacation into a building.

Quit whining about it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Candy asses?  Our men on the ground definitely were not, but as a country, I think we were kinda reserved.

We did our best to supply the countries that were attacked and to let them do the bulk of the fighting, offering support VS actual soldiers.  Casualty statistics confirm this to some extent.

I have nothing but the highest respect for the Americans who fought and supported the war, but it is obvious that the "Sleeping Giant" that Yamamoto was referring to was an industrial one.

Our current war is unlike any we have dealt with before, and I am supportive in our efforts, if for no other reason than we need to keep our sword sharp.  We knew Saddam had WMD's, so he hid them good this time.  Libtards were screaming up and down years back about human rights atrocities occurring in A-Stan, hopefully we can fix that.  OUr Casualties over there have been minimal, and some say that the rate in Washington DC is higher.  

As far as loss of human life, I do not think Americans have any concept of what it is like to lose generations worth of citizens.  There were more people killed in a single action in WWI than lost during the entire 12 years of Vietnam.  In WWII we were the one kicking asses apparently with about 400,000 killed VS the AXIS losses in the in the 7 million area (not all killed by us, and the Russian losses are nearly triple that number).

I guess what I am getting at is that we kick ass, take names, and win, but at the same time we are not all about tossing ourselves on bayonets either.  We know that death is a possibility, but that a dead soldier is not doing anyone any good so  we do our best to keep our guys alive and to mitigate the risks as much as possible (usually).  

We can take a punch, but are going to do a good job not to take another, usually by overwhelming force.  Unfortunately this attitude can unintentionally breed fucktards like C.S., which is crap that makes me ill to think about, so I will not get into it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_casualties_by_country

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I just think that some things are worth going to war and some arent.  A close relative of mine just returned from Iraq.  He's obviously seen some life changing things but definitely believes it was important to be there.  I know there's always the other argument but there is got to be somewhere you draw a line.  My point I think people who think that there is no good reason dishonors people who sacrificed before us.  I have relatives who died in in WWII and here about them occasionally it get a little upset at people only agree with things after the fact.  I just think it's important to be aware of why we are there.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
it stems from how since WWII that has not been a real threat , It is not a question of if we can win (like WWII)  it is can we win with out causing  political discord
We roll over everyone quickly and then are pulled back prematurely before we finish the job

In one of  Tom Clancys books he discibes it as the US is a really mean invincible dog  but it is on a really short leash , occasionally someone mistakes that leash for weakness and gets tooo close

I think it is a pretty good analogy

I agree, that is a good analogy.  I don't think anyone really wants to cause wanton destruction. I guess it's hard to fight a war with conditions.   I think technology really helps in that situation with selective targets.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

- rem

You do know that alot of people on this site have been there and done that right?

WAR IS GREAT.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#19]
We cannot stray to far from the fact that when we got into WWII most of the country was a rural farming and or small towns. A large part of the fighting has been fought by those middle of the country men (not from the big city) yes there were the exceptions. but when duty called (or the draft notice) those people stood up and reported. Now many of the men in WWII actually gained weight because of the better nutrition and medical care. The training was easier then life on the farm and they got paid more. Another thing to remember is that these same men grew up with a firearm. This was  just like a shovel it was a tool, it was used to put extra meat on the table as the farm animals were for making money and meat was not the staple it is today so any extra was a welcome addition.
Candy asses no friggen way. these men worked hard both in the city and in the country at 18/19 you were working in a factory or on a farm ready to find a girl and start a family to repeat the cycle.
The events of that time period ripped those men from the life that they thought was their birthright.
So that sent a lot of pissed off men into battle who could shoot who just wanted to go back home and live out the expected life.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#20]
We cannot stray to far from the fact that when we got into WWII most of the country was a rural farming and or small towns. A large part of the fighting has been fought by those middle of the country men (not from the big city) yes there were the exceptions. but when duty called (or the draft notice) those people stood up and reported. Now many of the men in WWII actually gained weight because of the better nutrition and medical care. The training was easier then life on the farm and they got paid more. Another thing to remember is that these same men grew up with a firearm. This was  just like a shovel it was a tool, it was used to put extra meat on the table as the farm animals were for making money and meat was not the staple it is today so any extra was a welcome addition.
Candy asses no friggen way. these men worked hard both in the city and in the country at 18/19 you were working in a factory or on a farm ready to find a girl and start a family to repeat the cycle.
The events of that time period ripped those men from the life that they thought was their birthright.
So that sent a lot of pissed off men into battle who could shoot who just wanted to go back home and live out the expected life.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

- rem

hmmm, whos side are you on remjob?

Young IceHandLuke in the first gulf war.  nothing wrong with killing a few of their boys and girls if it keeps us free and alive to type dumb shit on a key board all night.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#23]
US fat, soft.  Adam Smith called it 300 years ago:

Further, commerce sinks courage and extinguishes martial spirit; the defence of the country is handed over to a special class, and the bulk of the people grow effeminate and dastardly...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey all sorry for the dupe posts
the local net provider was having trouble and it kept telling me it was not sent.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

- rem

ooh, here, an opportunity to use another good quote I came across lately, this one from Sam Huntington:

"Liberalism," Huntington observed, "does not understand and is hostile to military
institutions and the military function."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top