Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 5:20:00 PM EDT
Seems like a pretty good source for info about military arms but I did find a few mistakes. I would give it a "B". I own the 2002 edition but I would like a more up to date one. Much of the buying info is out of date.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I gave it a C
Its a good book, but there was several times where he contradicts(sp) himself. I dont remember them offhand right now, but give me tonight to read it and I will find some examples.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:52:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Is this the "Boston T. Party" book?  I thought it was pretty useless.  The opinionated ramblings of some self-proclaimed "expert".  Someone gave it to me as a gift, alas, so I'm stuck with a copy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:31:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I've met Boston T Party while working a cheaper than dirt , He is/was quasi friends with the owner at the time Michael Tinny......I cant stand the the pompus asshat. He is no firearms expert.....he simply regurgitates what he can research.....it would be no different if you gave him any subject at random to write about. I wouldnt buy anything he wrote, he dont know any more than any one of us, and a whole lot less about firearms than most members on this board......
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:03:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've met Boston T Party while working a cheaper than dirt , He is/was quasi friends with the owner at the time Michael Tinny......I cant stand the the pompus asshat. He is no firearms expert.....he simply regurgitates what he can research.....it would be no different if you gave him any subject at random to write about. I wouldnt buy anything he wrote, he dont know any more than any one of us, and a whole lot less about firearms than most members on this board......

Interesting, if you can believe him, it does seem like he has more than a few different guns. And I do like that he prefers .308 over .223.

I also liked that he had "Fred" change his mind on the FAL/M1A issue.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:49:37 AM EDT
[#5]
One would have never known about Mel Tappen from reading his survival firearms books too....but that was another case of repeat what you can read/hear from other sources.

Boston T Party's book about how to get out of traffic tickets is another classic of his..lol
(he certainly does hate cops..I guess that was his qualification)
Out of the 4 years I worked at CTD....the only two I hated to see come in the door was him, and the guy that owns "pagerPal"
My favorite quoate from him is "Do you know who I am" geeez
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:38:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I enjoyed the book for the most part.  His take on which battle rifle is "best" is largely opinionated (even though he tries to make it seem quantitative by assigning a point system).  Lots of anecdotal reports and what sounds like parroting.  For someone who felt so strongly in favor of the AR-10 in the first edition of the book to do such a 180 turn in the next is telling.

I do think it would be a good read for someone new to shooting.  Just so they understand why the right to keep and bear arms is more important than protecting their hunting trips.  He does a decent job of explaining the importance of the right to self-defense, protection from tyranny, etc.

The multi-page letter to the Columbine survivor is entertaining--I'm sure it didn't get read.

Overall, several useless chapters and a couple of decent ones.  I give it a B-
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:28:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought it. Thought it was hoot! I love that book! It gives me a chance to put on my Anti-mind control hat and revel in glorious light of BTP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top