Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 9:26:29 AM EDT
How do you play a triad (as seen in tab)? Link would be nice if you have one. I cant find it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you talking about chords on TAB?

This would be a "D" chord. You place one finger on the third string second fret (index finger). Another on the second string third fret (middle finger). The last finger on the first string second fret (ring finger). The fourth string is left open. Don't play the fifth or sixth strings.

--2--------------------------------
--3--------------------------------
--2--------------------------------
--0--------------------------------
--X--------------------------------
--X--------------------------------

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/tab.html
www.8notes.com

My daughter says 3 notes played as a chord you to look at they symbol to tell you which way to stum up or down or pluck strum or hammer.

and to stay away from mxtabs.com they suck and said the site contains viruses lol

She is a guitar major at her middle school .
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#3]
A triad is defined as a three-note chord (usually the root, 3rd and 5th). Strats has it correct with the D major chord -- even though that particular chord has 4 actual notes played. But two are the same note an octave apart. There are many different triads with differing fingerings. So I'm still unsure of how to answer your question in a satisfactory manner for you. Can you explain a little more of what you're looking for?

P.S. Do you mean an actual three-note chord called a "5" chord that contains the root and the 5th? Those are the most used chords in rock and sometimes referred to as "power" chords or [incorrectly] as bar chords (they are really just part of a full bar chord).
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
She is a guitar major at her middle school .

Good for her man! I wish they'd had that option when I was a teen. I was self-taught until I studied classical guitar at a university. Been gigging, playing and recording for 20+ years now.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#5]
A traid is simple, just a chord made out of three notes seperated by a third. If you know what a third is on a guitar, a triad is simple, just root, third, fifth.

With a guitar it's simple to do intervals, each fret is one semitone, and in between strings if either 5 or 4 semitones, so for a minor third just count out 3 semitones, or for a major count out 4 semitones. If you use the perfect fifth, you get either a nimor or a major chord depending on which third you used, and you can use dimished fifth(basically two minor thirds together, or 6 semitones) along with a minor third for a diminished chord, or the augmented fifth(8 semitones above the root) with the major third for an augmented chord.

This is probably more musical theory than you needed though

Check this out for more information:

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/organize2.html
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks a bunch guys. My son and I just goof on the guitar mostly. Very basic skills, but love to hack away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top