Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 7:59:55 AM EDT

My mother just IM'd me to tell me that some punk kids just yelled "F you!" to her as she was trying to tell them not to ride their four wheeler on her property. In earshot of my nine year-old brother.

Taking them over my knee and spanking them is an option, but I fear them returning the 'favor' some time when I or she isn't there to retaliate. Aside from waiting on their punk asses to give them a good scaring, what can/should I do?

(she did call the local Sheriff dept, but for stuff like this they are worthless)

p.s.  I'm not going to inflict any bodily harm on anyone.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#1]
dupe - of yourself  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#2]
this would be an outstanding use for airsoft and good camo
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
dupe

original was locked due to poor wording on my part
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#4]
did they cut a fence to go 4 wheeling on your property?

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#5]
That's not fucking funny. Years ago a friend of mine named TY was killed by some jackass that did that erxact same thing. He was a Husband, Father and well respected business man.

Why don't you talk to the parents?

Killing someone is not an option!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:01:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Fence.

Caltrops where they come across the property line.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

no, but to get to where they are trying to go (abandoned strip pits), they have to cross her property
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Ummm, go visit the parents and tell them what happened.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Call their "parents" and relay the message they gave. If they have any cojones that will end it.  If, on the other hand they do nothing,  then go to Defcon 2 and prepare to repel borders.  Manners have left us and good sense as well.  A good hiding would help although a lack thereof is probably the reason for the first response.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ummm, go visit the parents and tell them what happened.

no idea where they live or who they are, only that they are close
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:03:49 AM EDT
[#12]
How about a fence around the property with 'NO TRESPASSING' signs?

Claymores and razorwire?

Two or three pitbulls?

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#13]
<Removed, along with your posting privileges.  We do not advocate killing people here.  --tbk1>

Sheep
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:07:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no, but to get to where they are trying to go (abandoned strip pits), they have to cross her property

so let them cross.  it's called being a good neighbor.

I don’t see what the problem is.  If they are doing donuts and being pricks I would talk to them but if they are just cutting thru I would let them be.

there are lots of things you can do for revenge but why bother.  you will only start a feude and that's not what you want.  you can take one of their 4 wheelers by force and hold it untill the parents come to get it.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#15]
You at least need to put up no trespassing signs all the way around the property.  Then if you can afford it put up a fence where they are getting through.  If they ignore the signs and cut the fence then you can take legal action against them for trespassing and destruction of property.  Without the fence and signs about all you can do is stand on the front porch and shake your fist at them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:09:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You at least need to put up no trespassing signs all the way around the property.  Then if you can afford it put up a fence where they are getting through.  If they ignore the signs and cut the fence then you can take legal action against them for trespassing and destruction of property.  Without the fence and signs about all you can do is stand on the front porch and shake your fist at them.

+1

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:10:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don’t see what the problem is.  If they are doing donuts and being pricks I would talk to them but if they are just cutting thru I would let them be.

there are lots of things you can do for revenge but why bother.  you will only start a feude and that's not what you want.  you can take one of their 4 wheelers by force and hold it untill the parents come to get it.  

They are tearing up her yard, and they are disturbing the peace by driving recklessly and going out there in all hours of the night, but it is spontaneous so the cops do no good.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey, we could get together and play paintball! At her house!  

Oops, I guess they ran into a paintball game  ON SOMEONES PROPERTY WHERE THEY DONT BELONG!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Photograph or video and a log of times. Offer it to the police.  If they wont take it offer it to the D.A.  If he wont take it offer it to a hungry young lawyer.  If he wont take it the world has ended and it wont matter anyway.

If one of the dumbasses hurts themselves on your mothers property it wont be her property for much longer.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are tearing up her yard, and they are disturbing the peace by driving recklessly and going out there in all hours of the night, but it is spontaneous so the cops do no good.

Install some game cameras then go after them in civil court.  You hit mom and dad in the wallet and suddenly the kids aren't going to run around with their ATVs.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Do you know where they live?  Its time to go knock on some doors and tell folks unauthorized traffic through the property is not allowed.  Get the word out and put up a few simple signs.  Don't expect any thanks, but its the right thing to do.  If that doesn't stop them put up some snow fence, it could slow them down enough for you to approach them. Be prepared to buy a new mailbox.

I used to have stupid punks on snowmachines fly through my yard to get to the slough.  It reeeeally pisses me off.  If they stopped on the street and knocked on the door and politely asked "mr nomad can we take a shortcut through your backyard?" I would have made them hot chocolate and welcomed them.  But tearing up the place in the middle of the night is not the way to make friends.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#23]
a simply way that might deter them would be to spike down some landscape timbers with rebar. it wont hurt them but it will rattle a few teeth at 30 miles per hour. you could use 4x4's but some nice cheap 8x8 would do better, you can get railroad ties for a few bucks each
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Civil court for property damage sounds like a real good idea.  Do ATV's need registration numbers down there?  You need still or video of them, then get the local school yearbook and find them.  Then find the parents.  If the parents don't stop them, then civil court, asking for money to have your mom's yard repaired (by very expensive professionals, of course).
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Bear Trap!!

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, staying the F off my property is called being a good neighbor.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

yes, lets have everyone fence in their own property

i own a dirtbike, so if they are just trying to get somewhere else to ride i understand their side.  that being said, if someone yelled that to me i'd be livid.

if i was them, i would have come up and asked if we could go through her property (make a path along the back edge or something) and stay in second gear, so we didnt tear things up.  just as a path to get where we wanted to ride.

of course, thats me.

if i asked someone and they said no after that, i'd think they were an idiot because if its not hurting anything, and its not inconvenient to the land owner, it shouldnt matter.  it doesnt hurt to be nice to kids who are at least outside and not playing their friggin xbox.

of course, anyone owning the property reserves the right to not allow anyone else on it, period.  but i think thats very selfish and stupid.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:35:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Do you have any resourceful friends with access to claymore mines?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

and your attitude is exactly what is wrong with many people.

when my dad was little (i'm 21) he talked about how they used to go rabbit hunting, or just hiking, anything outside in fields and they never knew who owned the land.  you didnt need to, noone cared if kids were on their land as long as they werent vandalizing anything.  greedy greedy people, sheesh
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

when my dad was little (i'm 21) he talked about how they used to go rabbit hunting, or just hiking, anything outside in fields and they never knew who owned the land.  you didnt need to, noone cared if kids were on their land as long as they werent vandalizing anything.  greedy greedy people, sheesh

I guess you forgot to read the part where he said they are causeing property damage ( RUTS ) as well as doing this at ALL HOURS of the day. Its something called respect for your neighbor and these kids seem to lack it. I personaly would litter the trail they are rideing with a shit load of nails. They wouldnt ride that way again after haveing to replace a ass load of tires on there ATV.... i also would notify the parents. if they get hurt on your moms property its HER ass....... Get some gonads and go door knocking..... Let them know if they are seen again you will file for a restaining order and trespassing charges. F--- the little turds. Oh dont forget the nails!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea but people and things are quite a bit different now are they not Mike???
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#33]

<WTF is wrong with some of you people??  I lock one account for advocating something deadly so then we get a repeat??  Unbelievable!  --tbk1>
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#34]

I have decided to make a three level perimeter at the site where they are coming through on her land.  I'm going to fall some trees with my chainsaw as a first line defense, then lay spikes for if they decided to maneuver around that.  Up at the tree line next to her house, I am going to install a barbed wire fence similar to 1shott's recently in the team forum, and post a no trespassing sign.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually your attitude is what is wrong with many people.

If I have my OWN PRIVATE PROPERTY then I should not have to listen to your gun fire, dirt bikes or ATVs running all over MY PROPERTY.

If you have my PERMISSION then that is another matter entirely. It's NOT about greed, it's about respect.

Now is the average person gonna give a shit if you cross their property (especially if they have a lot of it) in a manner that doesn't disturb them (ie. a "respectful" manner)? Obviously not.

But if you are gonna go dirt biking, hunting, plinking, paintballing, etc. on sombody else's PRIVATE PROPERTY then the reasonable thing to do is to get their PERMISSION.

Your father should have taught you that.

ETA: There is also a difference between property where somebody "lives" and land that is "privately owned." If nobody lives their it will be far less of a nuisance and getting permission isn't as easy as you don't know how to contact the owner. But even in the case of the latter you must be respectful of that property and not cause any damage.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The odds are that on every thread that gets at least 20 replies, someone has to make a stupid post.

Looks like you get the honor this time.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I have decided to make a three level perimeter at the site where they are coming through on her land.  I'm going to fall some trees with my chainsaw as a first line defense, then lay spikes for if they decided to maneuver around that.  Up at the tree line next to her house, I am going to install a barbed wire fence similar to 1shott's recently in the team forum, and post a no trespassing sign.

Fence and signs should be first and might do the trick.

After that they are legally tresspassing on posted land.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Barbed wire, left loose on the ground in thier path, it will come off the roll and still have some of its twist so it will lay across and be twisted up and down across the path..... lay three of four layers down about a foot aapart and lay some fenceposts down as well...... when they come across, especially at night, the wire will get hung up and wrapped around the axles and wheels...... and they will spend hours with wire cutters trying to get it out.

And if anyone says anything, you had it all laid out so you could erect a fence in a few days to stop the trespassers, so it does not look intentional.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Hi Beetle...

I had a similar problem in the house I owned up in Maine and I dealt with it similarly - I felled a couple of large trees, blocking access.

HOWEVER, I would think twice about whether you want to place spikes.  As absurd as it sounds you could theoretically be legally liable for damage / injury.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Don't repost this--we have too many here who are too stupid to respond intelligently.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top