Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 6:00:53 AM EDT
Alright, so I leave for work last night, and my computer is fine. I get home this morning and my computer looks like s it trying to boot, but says "Primary master hard disk failure"...  My only options are the hit del for setup, or F8 for boot options.. neither of which I think will do anything. Will not boot what so ever.

I built this computer myself, but dont claim to know how to fix shit when it goes wrong... this machine has run great for a year.  Without you guys sitting at my desk, anything I should try... or am I fucked?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:04:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Re-seat the ribbon cable and power connections at the motherboard and the drive and try another boot.  Doesn't sound good, hope you have good backups.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:05:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the primary hard drive still recognized by the BIOS?

Check mechanical things first; drive power plug, IDE cable, does the drive spin? make noise? etc.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:07:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:07:52 AM EDT
[#4]
'Yer fooked.

On the other hand, you could check the following:

1. IDE Cable. Try replacing with a known good one, just for shits and grins.
2. Check power supply voltages. Personally, I allow for no more than 5% variation of rated voltage.
3. Bad controller. Hard to test, since it's built in to the motherboard. Substituting a PCI controller (I always keep one handy) is a handy way to check this.

4. Bad hard drive. Buy a new one and restore from backup. You DO have backups, right?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:09:23 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want to try and salvage it you might try...

Get a 2nd drive
Make new drive the master, move master to slave
Get a copy of Ghost
Boot Ghost
See if it can 'ghost' the old master (now slave) to new drive (now master)
Boot new drive
Make sure all is there
Reformat old (slave) drive
  If it won't format, chuck it

If that doesn't word... Tango Uniform unfortunately

You do have a backup, right?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:11:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
3. Bad controller. Hard to test, since it's built in to the motherboard. Substituting a PCI controller (I always keep one handy) is a handy way to check this.

Good point.  You could also substitute a CDROM/DVD drive on that IDE port and try to boot from an XP system disk.  This would test the cable, power and controller.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:13:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Here we go again....

Sell it and buy a Mac. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:13:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Connections are good. Im sure the computer is seeing the drive, it lists it when booting... still nothing.

Backups, yeah..... Uh, I.... no.

All my wifes budget shit is on that PC.. damnit.

That post on trying to salvage it may help, but it confusses the fuck out of me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:13:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Huh, mine has done this at least twice a month for a couple years now. It'll say "Primary Master Hard Disk Failure", reboot it and it says "Primary Slave Hard Disk Failure" (or something like that), reboot again and it's fine.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:15:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:17:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Here we go again....

Ah yes, the "Mac fairy" makes sure that hard drives never fail.

I forgot about that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here we go again....

Ah yes, the "Mac fairy" makes sure that hard drives never fail.

I forgot about that.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
one last thing you might try.

remove the bios battery and reset the bios. i have had a few flaky systems that would do that intermittantly. reset of the bios cured it. assuming a good drive

Tried that, got a new one "floppy fail" and "checksum fail" something along those lines...

I'll try the freezer thing.

Thanks for the help thus far.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:30:06 AM EDT
[#15]
another LAST resort that has worked for me is whacking the drive while running with th handle of a screwdriver- it has worked, but should be only done right before you bash the thing with a hammer
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:31:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
another LAST resort that has worked for me is whacking the drive while running with th handle of a screwdriver- it has worked, but should be only done right before you bash the thing with a hammer

LOL, or can I shoot it at the next AZ ARFcom meet?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:46:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top