Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 5:25:47 AM EDT
…..when a woman pulls out in front of a man and does not accelerate, or cuts off a man, or makes a pathetic half assed lame brain attempt to merge, or is swerving all over the road while applying makeup and talking on a cell phone, the MAN has the skill and presents to not hit the stupid bitch, and winds up in a ditch, or a guard rail.

True or false?

ETA  Sorry if I offend our female members.  But I have a feeling that most of the female members here are like my girlfriend and my mother and several other women I know who scream at other women drivers and agree with me on the subject.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:27:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:27:36 AM EDT
[#2]
It is my firm belief that on the whole, female drivers are inferior to male drivers. Is this due to experience, reflexes, mentality, or simply a matter of choices? Hard to say.

Just my observation.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:28:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
…..when a woman pulls out in front of a man and does not accelerate, or cuts off a man, or makes a pathetic half assed lame brain attempt to merge, or is swerving all over the road while applying makeup and talking on a cell phone, the MAN has the skill and presents to not hit the stupid bitch, and winds up in a ditch, or a guard rail.

True or false?

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:33:20 AM EDT
[#4]
from my experiences, women are definately worse then men...  but not by much.  i think old people take the cake

whoever can search GD should do a search for "stupid drivers" or something to that effect.  there was a lot of good stuff in that thread.

i'd like to add the i think drunk driving is one of the worst problems out there.  in my experiences, i've only seen men doing this, however a drunk women totaled my father's car at 6:00am one day.  a female driver also ran down my grandfather in a parking lot...  a broken hip and leg were among the other serious injuries.  a female also totaled one of my trucks...  putting on make up and not paying attention.  yes, it was her fault.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:39:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I also think there is some statistical error involved. I'm sure more women than men get out of speeding tickets because most cops are men. Cry or show some cleavage or give a phone number and get a warning instead of a ticket.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:40:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Men drive a lot more miles than women so we are more likely to be involved in an accident.  When you and your wife/girlfriend go out and about who usually drives?  The guy.  When you go on long trips who usually drives?  The guy.  So it's no suprise that men have more accidents then women.  But show me some numbers on the number of accidents based on gender and miles per driven and see what that says.  Years ago when I was in high school my drivers ed instructor would always go off on a rant about how women suck at driving but they get the better insurance rates.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:41:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I also think there is some statistical error involved. I'm sure more women than men get out of speeding tickets because most cops are men. Cry or show some cleavage or give a phone number and get a warning instead of a ticket.

Very good point!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:48:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I found this story written back in 1998

The statistics tell a paradoxical story. According to a controversial study by researchers at the John Hopkins Schools of Medicine and Public Health, women are more likely to be involved in car crashes than men - despite the fact that men are three times more likely to be killed when they do crash.

As reported in the June issue of Epidemiology, American women were involved in 5.7 crashes per million miles driven. Men, on the other hand, clocked up just 5.1 crashes per million miles. Given the fact that men drive an estimated 74 per cent more miles per year than women, the figure is surprising indeed.

"Although risk-taking behaviours may contribute to the excessive injury mortality among men and younger drivers, up to now age and sex discrepancies in death rates from motor vehicle crashes have not been well understood," says lead author Guohua Li, associate professor of emergency medicine.

Using crash statistics gathered by the Fatal Accident Reporting System, the General Estimates System and the Nationwide Personal Transportation Survey, the researchers developed an innovative method called "decomposition" to break down the data into new categories and weigh the relative contribution of three variables: crash fatality, incidence density (number of crashes per million miles) and exposure prevalence (annual average miles driven per driver). Until now, the death rate ratio has always been based on just two factors: fatality and accident rates.

The investigators discovered that teenage boys start recklessly, with about 20 per cent more crashes per mile driven than teenage girls. Males and females between the ages of 20 and 35 run almost identical risks. Females over the age of 35, however, are significantly more likely to crash than their male counterparts.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:57:56 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife actually pulled a "Tommy Boy" once, then she wonders why I won't let her drive.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:01:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I dunno..I think I'm an excellent driver.  I've had one speeding ticket, and NEVER been in an accident.  My boyfriend OTOH, has had more speeding tickets than he can count, had his license suspended for the speeding tickets, and constantly does moves that make me throw up in my mouth a little.

I think men are more dangerous drivers.  Myself and many other women not withstanding, I think women do not drive as well as men, WHEN MEN ARE DRIVING WELL.  But men can be absolute dickwads on the roads.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:16:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I dunno..I think I'm an excellent driver.  I've had one speeding ticket, and NEVER been in an accident.  My boyfriend OTOH, has had more speeding tickets than he can count, had his license suspended for the speeding tickets, and constantly does moves that make me throw up in my mouth a little.

I think men are more dangerous drivers.  Myself and many other women not withstanding, I think women do not drive as well as men, WHEN MEN ARE DRIVING WELL.  But men can be absolute dickwads on the roads.
[/quote

We also have to consider what state we are from...well...I'm a transplant...so I can say RI drivers are terrible....when I leave the house...I call it "going to war."
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:25:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Three speeding tickets and no accidents (that were my fault). Hubby CANNOT say the same.
He's had so many tickets / accidents that our insurance cost us more annually than our car payments at one time.
BUT hubby is on the road ALOT more.

I DO see alot of bonehead moves by women that piss me off royally, because they make the rest of us look bad.

Teens and Elderly are the worst---regardless of gender.

Freaken HATE driving in Florida with all the 4' tall old people incapable of seeing over their Caddy dashes.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:26:56 AM EDT
[#13]

IMO, on average, women have worse peripheral vision and slower reflexes.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:30:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It is my firm belief that on the whole, females  are inferior to males

Just my observation.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Lots of accidents fall upon the immature 16-25 year old MALE drivers who use their trucks or sports cars as extenstions of their members and get into trouble when they impact hard objects at fast speeds. Girls at this age are much less testorone driven and violent.

Yup
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:41:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I will say my wife is a way worse driver than me, over the last 8-years she has had 4 wrecks two cars totaled and 4 or 5 tickets, I on the other hand have had no tickets and no wrecks. Based on the info. provided women are worse drivers over the age of 35 and men are worse drivers under the age of 20.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:45:46 AM EDT
[#19]
<--- 24 year old male with a corvette, truck, sport bike (R1), and a clean record.  Everyone's different, but I think males (typically) are better drivers, albeit more aggressive,  simply due to the fact that men are generally more interested in cars and driving and that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:57:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What was the question?

+1
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Women by far are worse drivers.  Mine "thinks" she is a good driver but she drives in condition white; no anticipation or appropriate situational awareness.  She is only reflexive, meaning she only responds to the driving conditions versus being anticipative and expecting what is going to happen and preemptively doing something about it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

IMO, on average, women have worse peripheral vision and slower reflexes.

Worse peripheral vision?  Are you telling me that you thing they would miss any window sale while driving down Main St.?  And slower reflexes?  Watch how fast after seeing the above mentioned sale, they find a parking spot and make it thiers!!

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:23:46 AM EDT
[#23]
From what I've seen, women are not better drivers...they don't really seem to be 'there' while they are driving. It's almost as if they have no common sense when it comes to the roads (among other things).

Some women are great drivers though, just thought I'd add that before I get attacked.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:23:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I voted false because I have seen more women driving while using both hands for things other than holding the wheel.  I have witnesssed this on so many occasions that it scares me when I see it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:24:28 AM EDT
[#25]
We(Men) think were better drivers, that being said we are
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#26]
As one of my friends explained:

"My wife's first accident, she lost control and dented a fender.   My first accident, I lost control and ran into a house."

I think it's not that girls are in any way safer (in fact, my own experience shows the opposite), it's just that teenage guys take much greater unnecessary risks.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:31:06 AM EDT
[#27]
All I know is, when I see a minivan I go on full alert; ready to take evasive action.

75% of the time the driver trying to kill me is in a minivan.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#28]
All this started because this morning on my way to work a woman pulled out in front of me from a 7-11 and did NOT accelerate, forcing me to either slam the brakes, or swerve into the empty left lane.  I swerved and said WOMAN!, as I went by I looked and sure enough it was a woman.

I know it happens all the time to everyone. But 5 times in the last 3 days I have had similar things happen, and I find that 90% of the time a woman is driving.

I am 26, been driving 10 years now and I have driven about 130,000 miles.  I have had one speeding ticket 39 in a 30 when I was 19, and one accident when I was 17 due to fog/ice and a woman not using her turn signal resulting in me sliding of the road.

I am constantly avoiding accidents.  I am proactive, I have avoidance scenarios running through my head constantly when I am driving, and I am aware of every car near me.  I assume everyone is out to get me.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Women are inferior because they are unaware of car control physics/ characteristics.
For instance:

Tire contact patch
Hydroplaning
Understeer
Oversteer
Stopping distances\following distances
A 6000lb Suburban is not a vette. Don't drive it like one.
vehicle weight balance/ weight transfer
Response to a flat tire @ 60mph or any speed
How to get 100k miles on a clutch
How to get 50K miles on brakes
and on and on and on  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:38:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Last week I saw the funniest thing.  A woman had backed "accidentally" over the curb of the elevated parking lot and her car was sitting on the frame with the rear tire 3 feet behind the curb.  

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#31]
It's not because there trying their damndest to put on make-up, talk on the cell phone , change out cds, setting the cruise control while opening up a Mcgriddle on their lap with a cup of coffee wedged in between those shapely legs is it???
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Last week I saw the funniest thing.  A woman had backed "accidentally" over the curb of the elevated parking lot and her car was sitting on the frame with the rear tire 3 feet behind the curb.  

I've seen that quite often.

I've only seen the scariest things on the road, because women were driving.

I see more women on cell phones, etc.

I also saw a women with both hands on the wheel... WITH AN ICECREAM CONE W/ ICECREAM IN EACH HAND!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:43:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I have gotten 2 tickets this month for going 35 in a 30 in neighborhoods.  All the tickets are on 4 lane roads that go from 50 to 30 when they hit a strech of houses and the signs so are on the median left hand side of the road and not on the right hand side of the road because they dont want to hurt peoples yards.  They say its for keeping kids safe well its not my fault  jr. does not look both ways when crossing the road I was taught that when I was 3 and had a whipping when I didnt do that.  I hate how people blame others for their kids stupidity.  Yes I was ranting.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:52:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Statisticaly, they are not better drivers, because they are not actually driving.  They are doing everything else BUT drive and pay attention to the road.  A woman with the two hands on the wheel is in less control as it is the "grip-of-death"-meaning they are too scared and tunnel vision focused that they are oblivious to anything else.  Avoid at all costs.

On the other hand I drive like a maniac, but i am in control.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Statisticaly, they are not better drivers, because they are not actually driving.  They are doing everything else BUT drive and pay attention to the road.  A woman with the two hands on the wheel is in less control as it is the "grip-of-death"-meaning they are too scared and tunnel vision focused that they are oblivious to anything else.  Avoid at all costs.

On the other hand I drive like a maniac, but i am in control.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Mrs. Shane is as good a driver as I am.  That said, when I notice eratic driving it tends to almost always be a woman behind the wheel.  When I notice aggressive driving, it slightly tends towards a man behind the wheel.

I think men tend (slightly) to drive more aggresively and at higher speeds.  Thus, their accidents involve more damage and/or death.

But for lousy driving in general, women easily take the cake from my experience.

Cell phones tend to be the great equilizer in bad driving.   Man or woman, that cell phone seems to take their driving right down the toilet.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Less of an EGO to protect.....

Women are "statistically" better drivers.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Men are more aggressive drivers

Women are less aware drivers.

Guys switch lanes a lot and speed. Women pull out in front of people and drift lanes yapping on the phone
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#39]
I would have to say from what Ive seen, females are far worse. Ive been with my Grandma when she was driving down town. She drove completely into the oncoming lane, because she was looking at a store. Ive also Been with my little sister when she ran a Flashing red light going 55 MPH. The scary thing about that was that you could see the light from 300 yards away. I know a little girl, who doesnt even stop at stop signs, barely slows down.

whenever we get into it, they always tell me about how I drove into a ditch. The thing is it was the first day I had my liscence. I drove out to the country and wanted to see what the car could do. Took a 25 corner at 55 and slid off the road. There is also a place north of us that if you get going real fast and run a stop sign, you hit a hill and get air. This was also stupid as there is bushes and trees, so you cant see cross traffic. It felt like russian roulette, watching the stop sign get closer as we were going faster. Also the time me and a friend were racing through town. I was up to 70 in a 35 and couldnt catch him. we were just younger and dumber

so basically, I would say women just dont pay attention, and Men take more risks
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#40]
bump for evening.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Women were historically perceived as better drivers because they were cited less often than men. Thats when 99 % of officers were male and tended to let more women off the ticket. It was a skewed perception.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#42]
I rember seeing that in Memphis there is an old law that states that if a woman is going to drive a car she has to have a man running ahaid of the car on foot waveing a red flag.

I don't know the actual statistics, but I have been to more accidents involving women than accidents involving men.  

-K
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Women were historically perceived as better drivers because they were cited less often than men. Thats when 99 % of officers were male and tended to let more women off the ticket. It was a skewed perception.

Don't even get me started on that one.

I bumped the trailer hitch of a Suburban once.  Didn't even scratch the Suburban but the hitch punched a hole in my plastic bumper.  To add insult to injury I was given a ticket for causing an accident.

Then, when I was hit hard by a girl in a truck, the officer didn't ticket her for causing the accident even though the girl admitted her guilt up front.

I hate double standards.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Women don't seem to get in many accidents. however they may be the cause of some.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Perhaps women being innatentive drivers and men being extremely aggressive drivers is the issue here....
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Men are more aggressive drivers

Women are less aware drivers.

Guys switch lanes a lot and speed. Women pull out in front of people and drift lanes yapping on the phone

That about sums it up. +1
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#47]
All I read was the title to the thread... and all I could do was

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
immature 16-25 year old MALE drivers who use their trucks or sports cars as extenstions of their members

But isn't that true?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:23:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
All this started because this morning on my way to work a woman pulled out in front of me from a 7-11 and did NOT accelerate, forcing me to either slam the brakes, or swerve into the empty left lane.  I swerved and said WOMAN!, as I went by I looked and sure enough it was a woman.

I know it happens all the time to everyone. But 5 times in the last 3 days I have had similar things happen, and I find that 90% of the time a woman is driving.

I am 26, been driving 10 years now and I have driven about 130,000 miles.  I have had one speeding ticket 39 in a 30 when I was 19, and one accident when I was 17 due to fog/ice and a woman not using her turn signal resulting in me sliding of the road.

I am constantly avoiding accidents.  I am proactive, I have avoidance scenarios running through my head constantly when I am driving, and I am aware of every car near me.  I assume everyone is out to get me.

Damn. I'm 19, driving less than four years, and have about 127k!

You're right, BTW. Seems like it's usually women who do stupid shit in traffic. I can't explain it. A girl I know PARKED HER CAR IN A TREE.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:06:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Men have better visual-spatial skills and are better at judging time, space, and distance. All these factors are necessary for driving.

Just because women "aren't involved in as many crashes" means nothing. How many women bump and ding their cars into objects or other cars? A whole hell of a lot. That doesn't make for a good driver. What the other member said about men driving more is true. When a man and woman go out the man almost always drives. Hence more crashes will involve men.

Also, young men tend to drive hard and drive fast. This has given men a black mark for life. I certainly do and don't mince words about it. I've never gotten a ticket, though I was involved in one crash where an 80 year old man failed to yield on his turn and I hit him. I was driving fast, but not recklessly.

In my opinion, driving like a sissy to and from work and the store doesn't necessarily make anyone a good driver. Being able to drive on a winding road, knowing when to accelerate, brake, how to negotiate turns, etc. and of course driving within the limits of the vehicle and yourself makes one a good driver. Most people don't the skills to drive a car properly. I especially love the idiots who stop in the middle of the street when they hear a siren, or stop at a yield sign when no other cars are anywhere in sight, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top