Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 8:33:45 PM EDT
my contract with Verizon will expire next month. With the abilty to keep my # I now have many more options. I have been with Verizon for many years and have been very satisfied iwth their service.

But they seem to use a out dated tech in C/TDMA when the rest of the world uses GSM. I can get GSM through Cingular and I think a better plan.

I use my phone mostly in the US and in major metro areas.

What are the advantage and disadvantages with either system??

Happy New Year
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Get what works Verizon coverage area seems pretty good, others can be lacking.

CDMA works fine for what your going to use it for most likely.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#2]
If your not traveling out of country stick with the Verizon plan.  If you plan to utilize any type of data plan, Verizons EVDO network is alot better than Cings EDGE network.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Get both.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
my contract with Verizon will expire next month. With the abilty to keep my # I now have many more options. I have been with Verizon for many years and have been very satisfied iwth their service.

But they seem to use a out dated tech in C/TDMA when the rest of the world uses GSM. I can get GSM through Cingular and I think a better plan.

I use my phone mostly in the US and in major metro areas.

What are the advantage and disadvantages with either system??

Happy New Year

I work for a carrier. The advice given about the data networks was right on target; be advised that both VZW and Sprint Nextel utilizes CDMA, and GSM is based on TDMA, but is falling out of favor because of the difficulty in getting the data pipe to be wide enough to handle broadband speed transmissions.

TDMA and CDMA were both invented in 1988. CDMA is a superior technology. I would go with either of the two CDMA providers; you will see much amazing capabilites in the coming two years.

BTW, Sprint has a leg up on the competition.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:37:23 PM EDT
[#6]
The rest of the world uses GSM because it was adopted as a standard before CDMA was able to get a foothold, not because CDMA is "outdated".  CDMA is actually more advanced and all networks are migrating towards 3G which is based on CDMA.  (TDMA btw, is defunct and largely replaced by GSM).

I use GSM just because I travel a lot but I'd go with Verizon if I didn't.  They have the best voice and data network.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#7]
What I like about GSM is that you can swap your SIM card to any available phone without having to call the carrier to set up the phone for you so it will work. Works fine whereever I go, so area coverage is not an issue.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#8]
GSM is a good technology, especially if you travel around the world.  But AVOID CINGULAR LIKE THE PLAGUE.

They have the worst customer complaint record in the industry, and they don't seem too troubled by it.  I had alot of terrible experiances with them and paying the early termination fee was worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top