Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 6:42:29 PM EDT
I am thinking of buying a new bolt gun, is this all it is made up to be?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Savage 110 is best for the money. Plus Ruger is anti gun rights.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#2]
It will be a Savage, i will not buy a Ruger rifle,from what i have heard they are crap.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah go with a savage
should shoot a ton better than a ruger and cost abit less
Im myself  am not sold or excited about .204
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You are asking about the cartridge, not the manufacturer of the rifle, correct?

My buddy has a .204, he loves it. Most of my other friends like it as well.

I am more of "it is ok" I just would rather have a .223 !

[disclaimer] I am an old fashioned jackass......so my advice is jaded
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, the .204 Ruger is based on the .222 Remington Magnum cartridge.  It's Ruger's response to the .20 wildcats, most likely the Tactical Twenty which is based on the .223 Remington.  From what I've read (and I've been looking at these since before the .204 was announced) the .204 OUGHT to be a hotter round than the Tactical Twenty, but it doesn't seem to be.  That may be because the wildcatters are loading too hot for SAAMI specs, I don't know.  But I know the wildcatters were getting some awesome performance.  (You can do a lot with big $$$ and little sense.)  

That being said, I would REALLY like a Ruger No. 1 chambered in .204 or Tactical Twenty.  I want to try blowing up prarie dogs from ridiculous distances.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are asking about the cartridge, not the manufacturer of the rifle, correct?

My buddy has a .204, he loves it. Most of my other friends like it as well.

I am more of "it is ok" I just would rather have a .223 !

[disclaimer] I am an old fashioned jackass......so my advice is jaded

Yeah, i know better than to buy a Ruger rifle, i have not had the chance to talk to anybody with a 204, does it shoot a flat as i had heard, or read in gun mags?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yeah, i know better than to buy a Ruger rifle, i have not had the chance to talk to anybody with a 204, does it shoot a flat as i had heard, or read in gun mags?

Ya know, I own 4 or 5 rugers......I'm not sure my 10/22 is still a Ruger (lol) I love them all.

YMMV on that of course.

The .204 is a hell of a lot flatter than a .223 for 300 yds shots. (6 inches vs 12 inches...IIRC)

I will take the added firepower of my AR over the flatter shooting round for faster follow up shots.

I don't think there is going to be a correct answer on what to get......it will be personal preferance.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It will be a Savage, i will not buy a Ruger rifle,from what i have heard they are crap.

You heard wrong.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Not only have the 220 Swift and the 22-250 been around a lot longer, they will also be around a lot longer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a CZ 527 Varmint in .204 Ruger, love it!!!! Hope to get on some prarie dogs soon. Bottles of soda vaporize at 200 yds and the impact seems to be instantaneous with the trigger pull. I haven't had the chance to shoot anything past 200 yards though.

The two main reasons I went with the 204 is I have my AR for 223 and it is supposed to have a lot longer barrel life than a 22-250 and others.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Savage 204 ruger, I am pretty happy with it. I have shot out to 300 yards and have pretty good accuracy.  If I lived a little closer to Jamestown I would let you shoot until you got sick of it.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:07:00 PM EDT
[#12]
It's now official AR15.com has been assimilated by 10 year old IDIOTS.

Ruger makes fine guns. Dont let these internet arm chair commandos scare you with their stupidity and complete lack of common sense (apparently its not so common).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top