Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 6:03:12 PM EDT
Alright, This is a 1928 full auto. The question is this. I pulled out the "fire/safe" pin. as well as the "Full Semi" pin as well as the retaining pin on the other side,  the trigger group shifted and now I can not get them back in place, this is a real dipshit fubar situation. I can not, nor do I really want to pull the upper from the lower with the trigger group loose. It is my understanding that it might damage the bolt.

I am sure the comments will be wide and varied, but I really would like someone knowledgable on the subject. Whoever gives me info that I find to be the most useful, I will give a free day on the range to and 100 rounds through any machine gun they want. (that we have) If you dont live close to San Antonio, well, I will give you a heart felt thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Alright, This is a 1928 full auto. The question is this. I pulled out the "fire/safe" pin. as well as the "Full Semi" pin as well as the retaining pin on the other side,  the trigger group shifted and now I can not get them back in place, this is a real dipshit fubar situation. I can not, nor do I really want to pull the upper from the lower with the trigger group loose. It is my understanding that it might damage the bolt.

I am sure the comments will be wide and varied, but I really would like someone knowledgable on the subject. Whoever gives me info that I find to be the most useful, I will give a free day on the range to and 100 rounds through any machine gun they want. (that we have) If you dont live close to San Antonio, well, I will give you a heart felt thanks.

Well I think your going to have to remove the lower from the upper.....just looking at the manual anyway. It's been awhile since I've had a 1928 apart, but I think at this point your stuck.....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Pulling the pivot plate with the gun assembled was one way the Thompson gun was to be sabotaged before being captured.
So, you basically sabotaged your own gun.

The old manuals simply said, that if the pivot plate was removed with the gun assembled, it needed to be returned to the factory for "repair".

The best first attempt is to get some larger nails and attempt to push them through the frame hole and through the parts.

Jiggle them around until you capture the parts with the nail, then get a bigger tapered end pin and push it into the hole as you remove the nail.

If you get the parts re-captured with a big enough pin, you can ease the frame off the receiver.

You don't need to worry about the safety, just leave it out, there's nothing inside the safety holds in place.  Just worry about the selector switch hole and the internal parts that are held by it.

If this doesn't work, about the only option is to GENTLY ease the frame off the receiver and try to "pick" the parts out or get back into position.

DO NOT get frustrated and start yanking on the frame.  This WILL damage the internal parts, if not the frame or receiver.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Pulling the pivot plate with the gun assembled was one way the Thompson gun was to be sabotaged before being captured.
So, you basically sabotaged your own gun.

The old manuals simply said, that if the pivot plate was removed with the gun assembled, it needed to be returned to the factory for "repair".

The best first attempt is to get some larger nails and attempt to push them through the frame hole and through the parts.

Jiggle them around until you capture the parts with the nail, then get a bigger tapered end pin and push it into the hole as you remove the nail.

If you get the parts re-captured with a big enough pin, you can ease the frame off the receiver.

You don't need to worry about the safety, just leave it out, there's nothing inside the safety holds in place.  Just worry about the selector switch hole and the internal parts that are held by it.

If this doesn't work, about the only option is to GENTLY ease the frame off the receiver and try to "pick" the parts out or get back into position.

DO NOT get frustrated and start yanking on the frame.  This WILL damage the internal parts, if not the frame or receiver.

Haha, I sabotaged the gun. Well at least I did something.
Your post is good news though. If their is an SOP, even if it is "Return to factory for repair" at least I know it can be repaired. Now I just need to find out what they did. It may very well be something like what you are talking about with the nails.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top