Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 3:59:01 PM EDT

i was hoping to fly with only my one carryon and planned to ship a pistol to my destination. however, after looking at the regs, it looks as if checking it as baggage might be the best method.

the way im reading things, it sounds as if handgun shipments through ups or fed ex have to go to a licensed address?? (ffl) is that true? usps wont take them at all. its a usp that i could break down and ship just the 'firearm' part if that makes a difference. i could send the rest of the parts with outdoor gear i'll be shipping anyway. have you ever just shipped as 'auto parts' or something similar and bypassed all the firearm crap?

im flying out of a smaller airport and will be arriving same. us airways. any thoughts on how to best prepare for the checking process? extra time? locked case, etc? ive looked over their website, but am wondering if its that cut and dry in real life.

thanks...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Last time I checked, it was legal to ship your own guns TO YOURSELF.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#2]
i think that shipping to yourself is not necessarily legal, or a good idea.

firearms on checked baggage are fine.  just not OOC (out of country) and you want to check with the airline.  nothing wrong with 'em, just put 'em in a locked case and pack it in the checked luggage, and notify the airline as you check your bags.  

unless you're an air marshal, you don't get to carry anything in your carry-on bag, or attempt to do so.  i think even a licensed cop could get in trouble for that...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I was advised by the local ATF agent that this is fact the best way to travel interstate.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

firearms on checked baggage are fine.  just not OOC (out of country) and you want to check with the airline.  nothing wrong with 'em, just put 'em in a locked case and pack it in the checked luggage, and notify the airline as you check your bags.  

unless you're an air marshal, you don't get to carry anything in your carry-on bag, or attempt to do so.  i think even a licensed cop could get in trouble for that...

There's a little form LEOs fill out at the counter.  It's actually pretty easy and trouble free.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Call the air port you are departing from / going to. Get the air port rules.  (Call the AIR LINE  at each end. Write down The names of Who you talk to. GET exact proceedure as to what to do. Small airports are usually cool ,Big ones are usually assholes.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Good excuse to buy a Pelican case.

One important thing I learned recently....TSA approved lock(s).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top