Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 3:26:31 PM EDT
I saw the movie a few decages ago when it came out and thought it was pretty good. Found a copy of the book the other night that my son had left lying out. The book was written by James Grady, before the movie was made, i 1974. The movie title was changed from the book to be 3 Days of the Condor.

I thought the book was pretty decent. Moved along quite quickly. A very easy read that took me about 4 hours. Only 192 pages. The reason for the "hit" in the book (drugs) is totally different than the movie (oil). Made me wonder how much input Redford had to the movie script considering his political views. But the reason for the hit in the book is believable if one has also seen Air America and knows something of the CIA's involvement in SEA. But....I thought the movie reason was better. Even if it put a negative liberal slant on the CIA's activities it was something I think would be in the purview of the CIA.

Other than that the book and movie paralleled pretty closely. The writer on the other hand has the typical non gun owners view of the effects of bullets on people. He always has the bullet literally knocking people over, or causing them to go tumbling (.357 mag has the same effect as a 120mm cannon). Of course there is also the clip thing Whether his guesses about the workings of the CIA is accurate or not I do not know. Some reviewers say it is. A lot of it sounds more like Star Chamber stuff.

One of things I liked about the oil premise in the movie in retrospect is that the movie was made in 75. Just a few years into the "oil crisis". Which turned out to be not much of a crisis after all. But in light of what is happening today with people screaming about oil prices and availability the topic seems much more relevant today.

In the movie Cliff Robertson's charactor asks "What do you think the people will want us to do when their cars stop running, when their homes are cold? Will they want us to ask them? NO! They'll just want us to get it!"

Very prophetic script writing I think.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#1]
If Redfords in the pic.... I don't watch it...simple as that.....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If Redfords in the pic.... I don't watch it...simple as that.....

Too bad, he's been in a lot of great movies (this being one of them).
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I liked this movie when it came out.  If it came out today, knowing how liberal Redford it, I wouldn't see it if you paid me.

The book was about the CIA importing and dealing with drugs.  The movie was about oil.  In both cases, the CIA were the "bad guys".  Grady came out with another book, something with the title "Condor" in it, this was where Condor was working as an active agent for the CIA and they weren't the bad guys as much in this book.  ETA:  from Amazon.com:  "Shadow of the Condor".

Been a long time since I've seen the movie or read the books.  Gettin' old.

Merlin

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I liked it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top