Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 9:46:23 AM EDT
I've heard the term everywhere and know it has something to do with wireless but other than that I am lost........

What  Exactly  is  it  ???    

Sorry, Edited to include what the hell I was talking about.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#3]
From wikipedia:

"Bluetooth is an industrial specification for wireless personal area networks (PANs). Bluetooth provides a way to connect and exchange information between devices like personal digital assistants (PDAs), mobile phones, laptops, PCs, printers and digital cameras via a secure, low-cost, globally available short range radio frequency."
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've heard the term everywhere and know it has something to do with wireless but other than that I am lost........

Simple answer: wireless ear piece and microphone that you use with a cell phone.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Simple answer: wireless ear piece and microphone that you use with a cell phone.

Thats only one of the many uses of bluetooth.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#6]
short range, relatively low bandwidth wireless protocol.

usually used on phones, earpieces, pdas, mice, keyboards, etc
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Short range wireless data transfer protocol.

For example, I can transfer pictures, ringtones, and other data from my cellphone to my PC wirelessly via BT.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

True, the original thread starter, MisterFloppy, could have gone to http://www.bluetooth.com/ but that would like have taken some effort like typing in Bluetooth on www.google.com. That's too much work.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

For example, I can transfer pictures, ringtones, and other data from my cellphone to my PC wirelessly via BT.

+1

The automakers plan to replace the maze of wire looms/harnesses in your car with bluetooth networks for the data multiplexing buses for the various networks within the car (powertrain, body/chassis/suspension, transmission, communications, etc...)
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'll tell you.

LINK

Oh wow!  Google.  There is an idea.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The automakers plan to replace the maze of wire looms/harnesses in your car with bluetooth networks for the data multiplexing buses for the various networks within the car (powertrain, body/chassis/suspension, transmission, communications, etc...)

God, I hope not, with all the trouble I've had with Bluetooth.

Wouldn't a short-range, reliable, high-bandwidth solution be better? Or just leaving it wired, for that matter.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#13]
From what I understand it isn't all that great, never really caught on, and is already on the way out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

True, the original thread starter, MisterFloppy, could have gone to http://www.bluetooth.com/ but that would like have taken some effort like typing in Bluetooth on www.google.com. That's too much work.

True, it does irk me that a lot of people wont do a simple google search to find an answer to their question. Instead, they post it on here, taking away bandwidth from wonderful threads such as "I was just slapped in the face by a set of boobies. Should I call the cops?" (this is a really great thread, be sure to check it out)

Regardless of their inability to do it themselves, I still like to be as helpful as possible.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Wouldn't a short-range, reliable, high-bandwidth solution be better? Or just leaving it wired, for that matter.

The OEMs are obsessed with weight reduction and clutter reduction. There's a lot of mass from the wiring harnesses on today's car. I suppose they may utilize another short-range wireless system or perhaps fiber optics in the future. Last I heard, BT was a prime candidate.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Bluetooth is basically a system to replace device-connection cables (like from phones to earpieces, or keyboards, mice & printers to computers) in the same way that 802.11x/WiFi replaces network cables...

The idea is that eventually all the stuff you hook up with cables to your phone or computer can just run wirelessly....

It works better for cell phones than PCs, however, since with the cell phone you expect your crap to need batteries... Having to change or charge your keyboard would eliminate the advantage over just using a USB cable...

In the end however, it's just as bad as every other RF technology BESIDES WiFi...

Works better than the old IRDA, though...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#17]
"It's a household name."

Forest Gump
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#18]
An outdated pretty shitty technology that the savy do not like one bit.

Its fine for everyday Joe.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The 'best' solution would probably be a single Cat-5 or USB type cable, instead of the damn rat's nest that is a modern wire harness... Anything you can do over BT you can do over C5, and that WOULD make the wiring alot easier...

Wireless in my car? Sorry, but what if it hits interfearance? And you KNOW some idiot would make a jammer & fuck with people's cars just for the fun of it (carjacking? how 'bout carhacking?).....

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Secure?  You are joking.  I saw a fellow with a "Bluetooth Rifle" - looks like a rifle with a scope and a highly specialized antenna for the barrel.  He was on a building 1/4th mile away from a skyscraper, and in 15-20 minutes, he had gleaned so much personal data from the building's occupants you would not believe it.

Here, I found something that will either amuse or scare you.

www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article106-page1.php
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yup.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Read the above link.  You are crazy to trust it for secure communications.

The recent rains had washed away most of the smog from the usually murky Los Angeles skies, so we could easily see the giant high-rise buildings in the financial district. For the purposes of the shoot, we hooked up the BlueSniper gun to a laptop computer, instead of using the Gumstix computer. This allowed us to see in real-time the Bluetooth devices that were detected.

John pointed the BlueSniper at the AON building, which was 0.6 miles (just about 1 km) from our position (this distance was verified by GPS after the shoot).

It didn't take long for the MAC address of Bluetooth devices to appear on the laptop's screen. After a few seconds, John pointed the gun at the Library Tower / US Bank Building, which is the tallest building in Los Angeles. The building was .75 miles (a little over 1 km) from our position.

As more Bluetooth devices started appearing, John said, "This building is full of Bluetooth! Look we got some Blackberries!" He also explained that, with multiple guns, it would be possible to track a single Bluetooth device as the person walked around. In less than a few minutes, twenty devices were detected—all at distances over a half mile away! We decided to quickly conclude the scan, given police activity in the area earlier in the day from a bomb scare.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The 'best' solution would probably be a single Cat-5 or USB type cable, instead of the damn rat's nest that is a modern wire harness... Anything you can do over BT you can do over C5, and that WOULD make the wiring alot easier...

Wireless in my car? Sorry, but what if it hits interfearance? And you KNOW some idiot would make a jammer & fuck with people's cars just for the fun of it (carjacking? how 'bout carhacking?).....

OBD-III will integrate the PCM with stuff like On-Star and other law enforcement tools so they can remotely stop your vehicle. By the time OBD-III is implemented, you will probably have electric steering/brakes/throttle/actuated valves/etc... so I wouldn't be surprised if they can remotely control your vehicle (just to pull it off to the shoulder).
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#24]
[qoute]True, the original thread starter, MisterFloppy, could have gone to http://www.bluetooth.com/ but that would like have taken some effort like typing in Bluetooth on www.google.com. That's too much work.

How right you are tripledouble, I could have... AND you could have posted a reply that didnt show what a bitter ass stick in the mud you are. I was here checking on a post I made and thought I would ask. I  unlike you do not sit in front of the computer all day googling shit, I have a job, I only jump on when I can find the time, and "I" didnt think it was such a big, huge fucking deal to ask a question. remember guys NEVER ask a question on here unless you google it first.
Me thinks tripledouble owns Google stock.....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Its a cool feature Id like on my phone but am to cheap to buy a phone that supports it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Have heard of certain people referenced as being bluegum, but never heard about this bluetooth you speak of.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ORRRR, he could have posted the question on a board he knew was made up of a very diverse membership that actually might have a few members that know what they are talking about and could explain it in simple terms to him quicker than wading through the ton of crap you usually get when using google.  BTW if it bothers you that people ask questions, why did you click the thread?  Trying to impress someone with you Google-Fu?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top