Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 9:18:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Pirahnas are cool.....but those arent Pirahnas.  They are Pacus.  They are classified as Vegetarian Pirahnas, but make no mistake, they like meat to.  They are kinda a "Steak and Taters" kinda fish, in that they like meat and veggies.  You can find them at most pet stores, and even at Walmart.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Holy shit
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#3]
That little white fish kind of gives up about half way through.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually I do believe they are piranha, look at their mouths, the jaw opens lower on the face of the PACU

www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/piranha.htm
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I only had one (ETA: looked exactly like those)when I was a kid, and he didn't cut the gold fish any slack. Never saw them eat any of the vegitation though, only live stuff.

Note: they don't like helgramites LMAO
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Pirahnas are cool.....but those arent Pirahnas.  They are Pacus.  They are classified as Vegetarian Pirahnas, but make no mistake, they like meat to.  They are kinda a "Steak and Taters" kinda fish, in that they like meat and veggies.  You can find them at most pet stores, and even at Walmart.

I disagree, those are red belly piranhas - exactly like the ones I used to have. Pacus look simliar but these are not Pacu.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I used to have 4 red belly piranha when I was a kid, and you should have seen them tear through bullfrogs.

It was downright EVIL!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I used to have 4 red belly piranha when I was a kid, and you should have seen them tear through bullfrogs.

It was downright EVIL!

yeah, Nature is a cruel Mofo.
we only had the little leapard frogs, but when $$ was tight. it had to do.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#9]
When I was a teenager I had a 75 gallon tank with 6 of the Red Belly piranahs.  These things were so cool.  Got them from a pet shop that I worked in.  I kid you not, they were the size of a dime when I got them.  

You should have seen these suckers tear up goldfish when they got a bit bigger.  

When they were about 6" in diameter I tore off a 2" square piece of raw steak that my folks were about to cook.   Dropped it in and watched them go nuts tearing that thing to shreads, in about 10 seconds. b I seriously thought they were going to eat each other they were going so crazy.  VERY cool.

Traded all 6 of them to a Houston Oiler football player for 6 playoff tickets.  Good game.  

CMOS

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Wrong they are Pirahnas.  I owned many and know the difference.  I currently own a Rare "Black" Pirahna.  Its big enough to bite that fish you saw in half.  But extremly timid.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Whats the video of some piranahs eating a mouse posted here a long time ago?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong they are Pirahnas.  I owned many and know the difference.  I currently own a Rare "Black" Pirahna.  Its big enough to bite that fish you saw in half.  But extremly timid.

Knew a guy who worked at the local chevy dealership years back that had a black one. didn't seem as agressive as the red bellied I had, more slow and deliberate .
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Dude misspelt the title of his own video.

Comments under the vid were as funny as anything.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought Piranhas were supposed to be able to debone a cow in under 5 mintues, but it took all 5 of those Piranhas almost a minute to chomp that one little fishy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I thought Piranhas were supposed to be able to debone a cow in under 5 mintues, but it took all 5 of those Piranhas almost a minute to chomp that one little fishy.

Those are union, Democrat pirahnas.

Not exactly models of productivity and efficiency.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Here are a bunch of them:

www.fishvideos.net/download/index.php?cmd=all

- rem

Quoted:
Whats the video of some piranahs eating a mouse posted here a long time ago?

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#18]
A friend of mine had some of those in college.  They would eat the tailis off the goldfish, and let them gimp around until the piranahs felt like eating.  Mean.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Would they bite your hand if you stuck it in there?

mine wouldn't, but not sure how a small school would have done though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:38:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That is thought to stem from Theodore Roosevelt's Amazon trip.  They think the natives netted off a portion of the river, overstocked it, and starved the fish for several weeks.  Then they dunked in the cow.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Now it's been awhile but way back when I owned a large fish tank. In my years of fish ownership I had heard that owning piranhas was against the law. Mind you I have never seen a written law on them. It was just something that fish owners in my area of the world said was a no no. YMMV

If this is indeed true some of you may get a visit by the folks in black suburbans.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree, those are red belly piranhas - exactly like the ones I used to have. Pacus look simliar but these are not Pacu.

This is 100% correct. The piranhas in the video clip are RED BELLY PIRANHAS NOT PACUS.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I've done it with mine.  Keep in mind its a 55gal tank.  Which is a decent size.  The first thing he does it goes to the complete oposite end of the tank.  I have a divider I can put in there.  The black one I have is extremely timid and shy.  He hids under a rock structure most of the time unless there are feeders in for him to eat.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Now it's been awhile but way back when I owned a large fish tank. In my years of fish ownership I had heard that owning piranhas was against the law. Mind you I have never seen a written law on them. It was just something that fish owners in my area of the world said was a no no. YMMV

If this is indeed true some of you may get a visit by the folks in black suburbans.

Glad it was when I was kid LOL
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Some states do have laws against them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I think in AR it is legal to have sex with a piranha while in GA it is not.

Ya know, those silly laws still on the books and all.

-  rem
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is 100% correct. The piranhas in the video clip are RED BELLY PIRANHAS NOT PACUS.

The guy that made these videos, he has a whole bunch of them, says they are Pacus from Walmart.  He even has videos of some of his Oscars, both Reds and Tigers, in the same tank.  I'm just going by this dudes on words.  Not to mention they look exactly like the Red Pacus I sold.

I used to be a Dept. manager in a pets section that had fish.  My Pacus and Oscars got soooo damned big, nobody would buy them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Viscious little devils, aren't they?

ETA: I have come to the conclusion that being attacked by a school of piranhas is not the way I want to meet my Maker.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top