Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2001 10:26:25 PM EDT
I am currently renting an apartment, never been a home owner/land owner in my life.

Someone on another board (a dealer) posted a WTT add for 1 acre of land in S.E. AZ near Willcox (5 miles from town).  It is 80 miles from Tucson

I am currently in IL, and AZ is a possible sight for my podiatric residency (I liked Phoenix when I was there for a week).  

The dealer is asking about $2k for the acre.  Zoned for a house or cabin, no electric, will support a well.  Taxes at $20/year.

I figure that at $20 a year, if it sits for a few years, it is OK.  Eventually, I could put a small cabin and generator on the land and use it as a hunting cabin (apparently there is a National Forest nearby).  It is not likely that I would live there, but as a vacation get-a-way place, it might not be too bad.

Having never been a land owner, I don't know what the pro's and/or con's are on a deal like this?

If we do the paperwork (quit claim deed and warranty deed according to the dealer) ourselves, the filing fees, etc. are only about $50.  If we go professional with a title search, etc. it runs $600 (i.e. not worth it at that point).  I offered him about $1600 worth of my guns from storage (i.e.--not a great loss if something goes wrong, and the guns are replaceable--no collector's value, and not my favorites, or duplicates of what I have already).  If he wants significantly more than that, it is not worth it to me.

It is not even likely that I could visit the property any time soon, and I don't have any relatives nearby to check on it for me.  However, it is one of those Wild Hair Up My Ass trades that occasionally pique my interest.  It tickles my fancy to be a "landowner", and maybe will workout nicely.

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

AFARR
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#2]
AFARR,

Paul is right. Don't just buy something without looking into it. Location is the primary value in land, and there are some real bad places. I live in Great Falls Montana and property values out here can vary greatly in just a couple of miles, because of the quality of well water.

Paul forgot the fourth rule of real estate. If it sounds to good to be true, it is. The agent would have already bought it if it was a real good deal.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think you'd be impressed with that land. IIRC mostly flat desert, and the "National Forest" is prolly the Sonora desert. @ 2k an acre, NOT a good buy
Wilcox, the home of Rex Allen
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top