Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 8:17:20 AM EDT
I need a spreadsheet for one particular job I just finished, and to be used as a template for other jobs similiar to this one.  My current invoices just don't allow the room or the detail the owners want for this project.  I use Rent Manager, but their maintenance invoices just aren't cutting it.

I'm trying to create one on my own, but I really suck at this.  Was wondering if I could enlist some help and maybe you could send me something I could integrate with the one I'm working on?  If I use it, I can slip you a $20 for your effort and time.

Here's what I need from any sucker...  er, I mean volunteers:

On the top, a heading with my invoice number, company name, license number, address, fax, etc.

Then, I know I'll need colums broken down into the following categories:

On sheet 1:

Date
Credit (payment)
Labor
Material
Is this a change order to bid? (with enough space for Y or N)

Then, on sheet 2:

Date
Receipt number
Line number
Description (EG: Kitchen floor preparation and leveling)

Sheet 3:

Date
Notes (EG:  Includes tearout of existing floor and patching; change order number XXXXX-XX)

Then, on each sheet, I need running totals that track credits (as payments/deposits), incurred costs that separate material and labor, and a final total that deducts credits from incurred costs.  This will give me an amount due and running total per sheet, plus a final total per book.

Anyone up for the challenge for a measly $20?  Sorry, it's all I have to offer right now.  

Of course, I'd like all columns to be automatic, and the final to have subtracted the credits from the incurred sum of material and labor.  

My email is richardh247 AT cox.net, and anything anyone can offer in the way of a template would be greatly appreciated!  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:21:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#2]
would think there would be templates out there for this

ever look into quickbooks?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:39:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
would think there would be templates out there for this

ever look into quickbooks?

If I can only afford $20 right now, how can I do Quickbooks?

And no, no templates *I have found* that have the requirements I said I needed.  Rent Manager (as I said) is my primary adjusting and recording program, I just need this one extra template for this one particular job - my regular maintenance invoices are norrmally used (and are what I paid for).  It's what the owners wanted - they just want an adjustment for this one job, and I am having a bitch of a time formatting it the way I need it.  

I've been on every site Google had to offer, and the templates they have just don't fit the needs.  And they can't be modified, which is the problem right now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Richard,
I wrote some invoicing things for my parents business some time ago. I am away at the inlaws(to be) right now, father inlaw(to be) took a fall and is in the hospital. When I get home I will see if I can dig them up. They might work for you. They were in PDF format but based off excel. Anyhow I will see if I can't help you out even if those don't work. Oh and as for the $20 I am not in need of that however there is someone who is. If my work helps you  then please send it to them.
Donate here
I will get back to you on Thursday of Friday depending on when we get home.
Steve
ETA* Hotlink
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#5]
have you looked here at all? there are TONS of templates here, perhaps one is close to what you are looking for...

office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx

here are the ones that have "INVOice" in the title..

office.microsoft.com/en-us/results.aspx?Scope=TC&Query=invoice

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#7]
agreed that the database is probably way to go here, but if you want to stick with excel, what you're needing is very simple.  all you need is to set up sums and link between sheets.

goto help topics and search for the SUM function.  this will allow you to keep a running total of a group of continuous cells.  the help instructions are lucid and concise.

linking between sheets sounds complicated, but is actually very easy.  let's say that you have the same job listed on 2 sheets, and you need to carry over materials cost.  on the first sheet, designate a cell for "materiels cost"--say, cell B1--this is where you'll manually enter the amount.  on sheet 2, in the cell you want to automatically display whatever amount you've put in sheet 1, cell B1, simply type the equals sign, then click back to sheet 1 and cell B1, then hit enter.  you'll see the formula being built in the text box in the toolbar.  now, when you enter the amount on sheet 1, it will automatically appear in that cell on sheet 2.

the clickaround method works with any formula or function.  to add sheet 1, cell C8 to sheet 3, cell F5, type =, then click first on sheet 1 C8, then type the plus sign, then click on sheet 3 F5, then hit enter.  

i was extremely intimidated by excel, but all it really took was about 2 hours to figure the basics out.  after that, it's like any app--you learn as you go along.

one huge hint, though--design the layout first, and do it top down.  that is, set up your summary page, then your working pages, and only then start working on the math part.  otherwise you'll just be creating more work for yourself.

have fun.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#8]
richard,
check your email as i was able to find them on my laptop.
Steve
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:24:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Richard,
Did you get my email and was it close to what you wanted?
Let me know and I can touch it up if needed
Steve
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Richard,
Did you get my email and was it close to what you wanted?
Let me know and I can touch it up if needed
Steve

If you are the Steve I think you are, then yes.  I have been playing with it in the hopes  could tweak it myself, and trying to create one like Brass suggested.  I think I am too stupid for his suggestions, though

Hang on, and I'll shoot you a reply to make sure you are who I think you are.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top