Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 8:13:30 AM EDT
I've always believed that at it's roots, America is a nation of rebels. We started out by traveling to a faraway land to get away from people telling us what to do. Then, we went up against the most powerful nation on Earth at the time, for an idea. We've gone on to attract a lot of other people who were tired of being told what to do.

So, are you a rebel? Do you ever want to do something just because someone told you not to? Have you ever bought a gun just because someone wanted to ban it? Do you feel the urge to smoke or stop wearing seatbelts just because so many people tell you to do the opposite? Do you just have an innate urge to defy authority?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone seeking to live a devout life will be persecuted and a rebel by comparason to the majority of the human population.

The Christ life is alien to this world so anyone living the Christ life will be an outcast to the majority culture and opinion, it is a different value system and what used to seprarte America from the rest of the world as rebels and trend setters, pioneers & settlers have little in common with high density population centers, different values and motivations.

I would be pleased to live a quiet life on my farm but the tyrannical government refuses to leave me alone as a result I am forced to organize the militia in preparation for =

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I like to think I'm going against the grain a lot of the time, not sure if that constitutes rebellion or not. I don't do the exact opposite so much as go in a different direction.

Everybody uses Windows. I use Linux.
Everybody uses Internet Explorer. I use Firefox.
Everybody uses the Qwerty keyboard. I use Dvorak.
Everybody wears clothes. I'm a nudist.
Etc.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I like to think I'm going against the grain a lot of the time, not sure if that constitutes rebellion or not. I don't do the exact opposite so much as go in a different direction.

Everybody uses Windows. I use Linux.
Everybody uses Internet Explorer. I use Firefox.
Everybody uses the Qwerty keyboard. I use Dvorak.
Everybody wears clothes. I'm a nudist.
Etc.

That's part of it... I think it's more of taking pleasure in being different from the majority, or from what some kind of Authority wants you to do.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Judging from the IM's I get from staff, I must be an anarchist  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Theres a fine line between rebel and Attention whore
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Judging from the IM's I get from staff, I must be an anarchist  

I think that is a generous description.

As for me, rebel don't even come close.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Anyone seeking to live a devout life will be persecuted and a rebel by comparason to the majority of the human population.

The Christ life is alien to this world so anyone living the Christ life will be an outcast to the majority culture and opinion, it is a different value system and what used to seprarte America from the rest of the world as rebels and trend setters, pioneers & settlers have little in common with high density population centers, different values and motivations.

I would be pleased to live a quiet life on my farm but the tyrannical government refuses to leave me alone as a result I am forced to organize the militia in preparation for =

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

I can't tell if that was a rapid attempt at a religious hijack or not.....

what is "the Christ life"
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't tell if that was a rapid attempt at a religious hijack or not.....

what is "the Chris life"

Oddly smacks of religious elitism don't it?

Just the same, part of the point is that I can live my life the way I see fit, in any way I see fit.  Do what you want, just let me do what I want.

Yes, I consider myself a rebel.  Unfortunately, I consider myself the same type of rebel that started this country, and the fact that I am this sort of rebel means this country has fallen far from the "city on a hill" that is once was.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Im a rebel but not in the normal sense. Im 19, living in a college dorm room. Ive never had a drink in my life, ive never had a smoke(pot or otherwise). The rest of my family drinks, as well as the rest of my dorm. My hair is never longer than a half an inch, unlike the rest of the wanna be hippies.

I go to church on a regular basis. I dont think either of my parents have in years, and I didnt growing up. My parents hate my church, they think we are to strict. When I was 14 they woulnt let me go anymore. So I would sit in bed and listen to preaching tapes and that would be my church.

I am a very conservitive republican, and im not ashamed to admit it. I would say that a good 75% of my college would say that they are liberal. My mom and my sister are liberal and my dad is a moderate.

I own guns, lots of guns, including the evil black kind. I even like to kill cute little furry animals with my guns. My mom wouldnt let me have a BB gun at 13, last year I build my first AR.

I may not listen to rap music, drink, and smoke pot like the other 90% of kids who think they are being rebelious. But I assure you I am a rebel in every since of the word.

Why? "Cause its better to be hated for who you are then loved for who your not" Ive found that alot of people have respect for me, im not perfect in any stretch, but I stand up for what I believe in.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Theres a fine line between rebel and Attention whore

I never really thought about it that way , but your right .
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Im a rebel but not in the normal sense. Im 19, living in a college dorm room. Ive never had a drink in my life, ive never had a smoke(pot or otherwise). The rest of my family drinks, as well as the rest of my dorm. My hair is never longer than a half an inch, unlike the rest of the wanna be hippies.

I go to church on a regular basis. I dont think either of my parents have in years, and I didnt growing up. My parents hate my church, they think we are to strict. When I was 14 they woulnt let me go anymore. So I would sit in bed and listen to preaching tapes and that would be my church.

I am a very conservitive republican, and im not ashamed to admit it. I would say that a good 75% of my college would say that they are liberal. My mom and my sister are liberal and my dad is a moderate.

I own guns, lots of guns, including the evil black kind. I even like to kill cute little furry animals with my guns. My mom wouldnt let me have a BB gun at 13, last year I build my first AR.

I may not listen to rap music, drink, and smoke pot like the other 90% of kids who think they are being rebelious. But I assure you I am a rebel in every since of the word.

Why? "Cause its better to be hated for who you are then loved for who your not" Ive found that alot of people have respect for me, im not perfect in any stretch, but I stand up for what I believe in.

Yeah, you just might be.

Of course, if 90% of the people are doing it, then it isn't really rebellious.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I enjoy being a rebel.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#13]
From Dictionary.com:

4 entries found for rebel.
re·bel    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (r-bl)
intr.v. re·belled, re·bel·ling, re·bels
To refuse allegiance to and oppose by force an established government or ruling authority.
To resist or defy an authority or a generally accepted convention.
To feel or express strong unwillingness or repugnance: She rebelled at the unwelcome suggestion.

n. reb·el (rbl)
One who rebels or is in rebellion: “He is the perfect recruit for fascist movements: a rebel not a revolutionary, contemptuous yet envious of the rich and involved with them” (Stanley Hoffman).
Rebel A Confederate soldier.

Oddly, the listings for the noun of rebel denote a somewhat negative connotation.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#14]
<----------------
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
From Dictionary.com:

To refuse allegiance to and oppose by force an established government or ruling authority.
To feel or express strong unwillingness or repugnance: She rebelled at the unwelcome suggestion.

That sure fits.

Oddly, the listings for the noun of rebel denote a somewhat negative connotation.

Why is that odd?
Those in power make the rules and obviously have a vested interest in conformity.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
From Dictionary.com:

That sure fits.

Why is that odd?
Those in power make the rules and obviously have a vested interest in conformity.

Holy shit.  You mean dictionary.com is running the show?!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
From Dictionary.com:

That sure fits.

Why is that odd?

Oh boy.

Rules, definitions, all the same.
Words are powerful things.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Honestly bub, you might just be one of those guys who subconsciously (or even consciously) resents other people having fun.  Do you laugh with your dormmates, or segregate yourself from them.  

17 years ago (damn!) when I was in a dorm, I knew a few guys that felt that way, only I didn't realize that was what was going on until I was able to observe things like this from a distance.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honestly bub, you might just be one of those guys who subconsciously (or even consciously) resents other people having fun.  Do you laugh with your dormmates, or segregate yourself from them.  

17 years ago (damn!) when I was in a dorm, I knew a few guys that felt that way, only I didn't realize that was what was going on until I was able to observe things like this from a distance.

Nope I love hanging out with my boys!! I dont drink with them, but I enjoy thier friendship and still respect them.  I love to have fun, honest, you can be sober and a christian and still have a great time. I think its gonna be a pretty sad day when I need alchohol to have a good time
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Almost everywhere I've gone I've been regarded as a non-conformist.

High School (Christian do-gooder in a secular school)
Nichols College (see above)
Bob Jones University (Rebel, non-conformist, troublemaker, general liability to have around)
Connecticut Legislature (Young, brash, outspoken, clean-as-a-whistle, athletic motorcycle racer)

Looking back, it's kinda funny how my rep did a 180 degree change from secular school to Bob Jones University. I was the same person.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I think its gonna be a pretty sad day when I need alchohol to have a good time

Don't believe the MADD, et al propaganda.  Alchohol is a nice frosting on the party cake.  

Additionally, one does not get to use his beer goggles without, well, beer.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Then yes. I'm a rebel.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I think the''rebel'' thing usually comes with the territiory.

Many times being branded as such has both heroic and villainous ramifications.

At different times in my life I have been accused of being both as well as many other things in between.

I always felt however that the labels people will designate on you are usually only in the ballpark of general discription at best.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I much prefer Patriot

Than Rebel
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I just have a problem with authority, always have always will.  I was a handfull in gradeschool.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I get branded with all sorts of titles.

Truth is, I pretty much just go about my business and live as I see fit.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#28]
the actions i take and views i hold make me a bit of a non-conformist by default.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I much prefer Patriot

Than Rebel

Sad that they are treated as the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
From Dictionary.com:

That sure fits.

Why is that odd?

Oh boy.

Rules, definitions, all the same.
Words are powerful things.

I know, I know.  I see your point.

One of the reasons why I rebel against political correctness anytime I see it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#31]
RUSH

Subdivisions, Tom Sawyer  

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Hell yes, I love guns, I love rock music, I like titties, and I love the south.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top