Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 7:45:54 AM EDT
Regardless of the POTUS at the time, do you feel a draft will be implemented in the next decade?

If so, what do you think will lead-up to the decision to initiate the draft, and what kind of response will the Ameican people give?

Will Patriotic Americans line the streets to proudly serve this Great Country?

Will it turn into another anti-Vietnam Draft situation with a bunch of neo-hippie protesters waving signs and acting like a bunch of nut-cases?

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I hope so!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:46:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't wanna fight next to someone who was only there because they were forced to join.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#3]
2 years mandatory military service

for

4 years of college
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wouldn't wanna fight next to someone who was only there because they were forced to join.

+1
Also, depending on the war, I wouldn't join.
Think "Hillary enforcing UN mandates."
No thanks folks - I won't be fighting for the baby blue and white.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:54:44 AM EDT
[#6]
It won't happen unless we're at war with China or something.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#7]
yeah, like China is going to invade.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

for

4 years of college

Thats a good plan.  I graduated in May and have to start paying my student loan payments
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I choose to look at it from 2 angles.

1.   Would I want to have someone next to me fighting that does not believe in what they are fighting for?   Maybe not, but in times of crisis, peoples attitudes about what they are doing change.

2.  Ever since the draft was ended some 30 years ago, the numbers of elected representatives with any military experience has shrunk to almost zero.   Without a well rounded character in civic responsibilities (one of those responsibilities is experience in the military that you are responsible for  funding, directing, etc) we end up with an elitist class of politicians (note I did not say "representatives") that have no idea what they are hurting/helping by their actions that become laws.

I do favor some sort of mandatory service, if for no other reason,  that will give a vast majority of US citizens a better appreciation for the country they live in.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:14:24 AM EDT
[#10]

I do favor some sort of mandatory service, if for no other reason, that will give a vast majority of US citizens a better appreciation for the country they live in.

I was going to say In Before The "You are the property of your government and must serve Der Staat" Crowd, but too late.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I do favor some sort of mandatory service, if for no other reason, that will give a vast majority of US citizens a better appreciation for the country they live in.

I was going to say In Before The "You are the property of your government and must serve Der Staat" Crowd, but too late.

No, my statement means that more people would be willing to defend a county they know more about and not depend on uncle Sammy to defend them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

for

4 years of college

Since I already paid off my student loans...fuck that...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:53:08 AM EDT
[#13]
China could never invade the USA, because MEXICO beat them to it.  Put that in your pipe and smoke it.  I'm less concerned with another foreign war, and more concerned with another Civil War or a Hispanic Intifada.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Regardless of what civilians think about it, the fact is that no professional soldier wants to see the Draft return.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#15]
We already have one. It's called Stop-loss!

The involuntary extension of a soldier 12-24 months past his seperation from service date.

The guy who already signed up of his own free will gets fucked into a 2nd or 3rd trip to Iraqistan. I've seen it for 3 years now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top