Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 5:34:36 AM EDT
Bomb blast at Madison ramp

Apparently the man had left his car in the ramp and, after returning, was leaning in the driver's side rear door when the IED went off.  It had been secured inside of the wheel well and blew debris (from both the bomb and car) 300' but did not injure anyone.  The first two "bombs" were inert and I'm guessing a dry run for last weekend's live one.

Any advice on how to deal with this presuming you or a loved one uses this ramp?  (And "don't use the ramp" isn't a valid response.)

I'm starting with a good handheld flashlight (G2 or similar) and small inspection mirror.  But any thoughts other than check your car and park it in a visible location?

TIA,

Corey
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:51:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Is "parking ramp" a midwestern thing? Why don't they call it "parking garage"?

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:54:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

parking garages are underground, parking ramps are above ground
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:59:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

parking garages are underground, parking ramps are above ground

Parking garages are underground and aboveground.

Proof:

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:06:07 AM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, there is an excellent article on the construction and deployment of REAL IEDs over in the sandbox in the latest Feb. edition of SOF.

Very interesting read.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:07:09 AM EDT
[#5]
The guy wasn't hurt, but debris from the blast flew 300 feet?  Lucky dude.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:08:35 AM EDT
[#6]
So what's the difference between an 'improvised explosive device' and a plain old 'explosive device'?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So what's the difference between an 'improvised explosive device' and a plain old 'explosive device'?

Media
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:14:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yes, it's a midwestern thing. Everyone I know of in WI calls them "ramps" or "parking ramps".
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks everyone!

Corey

EDITED to add that yes, apparently the debris from the blast flew 300 feet.  I'm guessing it was on the opposite side of the car but I don't know for sure.  What really concerns me about this is that the device went off when the guy got back to the car, which leads me to believe that either he suffered from extremely unlucky timing or device was intended to detonate when the owner was present (i.e., meant to injure someone).
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:15:52 AM EDT
[#10]
say, wasn't there a car bombing last night in Livonia?

Coincidence?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top