Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 9:50:40 PM EDT
from:news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20051228/hl_hsn/antidepressantsmayspurbraincellgrowth

Antidepressants May Spur Brain Cell Growth

TUESDAY, Dec. 27 (HealthDay News) -- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), a widely used class of antidepressant drugs that include Celexa, Paxil, Prozac and Zoloft, boost nerve fiber growth in key parts of the brain, according to a study with rats (and Lawyers) .

The finding may help explain how SSRIs work and why it takes a few weeks before some antidepressants begin to have an effect.

The research team from Johns Hopkins University found that SSRIs increased the density of nerve impulse-carrying axons in the frontal and parietal lobes of the neocortex and part of the limbic brain that controls smell, emotions, motivations, and organs that work reflexively, such as the heart, stomach and intestines.

"It appears that SSRI antidepressants rewire areas of the brain that are important for thinking and feeling, as well as operating the autonomic nervous system," study leader and neuropathologist Dr. Vassilis E. Koliatsos said in a prepared statement.

It has long been thought that antidepressants work by increasing synaptic concentrations of the brain chemicals serotonin and norepinephrine, enhancing or stimulating their transference.

"But our findings -- that serotonin reuptake modulators increase the density of nerve synapses, especially in the front part of the brain -- may offer a better explanation of why antidepressants are effective and why they take time to work," Koliatsos said.

The study appears in the January issue of the Journal of Neurochemistry.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#1]
YAY!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#2]
cool so if its survival of the fittest and I drink beer it killes off the weakest brain cells and take Prozac to repalce them with smart ones ill be a genious
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
cool so if its survival of the fittest and I drink beer it killes off the weakest brain cells and take Prozac to repalce them with smart ones ill be a genious

Well...actually I was thinking that there might be spin offs for medications for Alzheimer's or for people who have suffered brain trauma from injuries or strokes.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It appears that SSRI antidepressants rewire areas of the brain...

This statement makes me uneasy.  Considering that no one knows how the brain works, is it smart to start "rewiring" it?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
fuck that stuff
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You better start killing off those weak cells!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You better start killing off those weak cells!

workin on it
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:07:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What will actually happen is you will become less analytical and have a strong urge to stay home from work and watch Oprah.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:22:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Your brain, their long range study.

"May spur brain cell growth"? Cancer anyone?

Something for nothing? Sell that shit to the weak and weak-minded.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:47:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd heard about this a long time ago, before this study, good to hear of their conclusion.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:03:38 AM EDT
[#11]
be careful what you wish for

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:18:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It appears that SSRI antidepressants rewire areas of the brain...

This statement makes me uneasy.  Considering that no one knows how the brain works, is it smart to start "rewiring" it?

We don't really know how insulin resistance and diabetes "work" either.  Is it smart to take insulin if you're diabetic?

We don't know how cholesterol levels "work".  Should people really be taking Lipitor?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:21:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top