Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 7:22:21 PM EDT
Went to Cabelas today to spend my $75 gift card. [Dundee MI] Son wanted to go up to the shooting games and play a bit. Well, there were 3 50 year hunters there playing one of the shooting gamed where you compete against one another shooting targets. If you shoot and hit first, you score that point and target. Guys were talking smack and bet my kid $10 bucks to $20 that he could beat him. Kid accepted, was asked if he had ever shot before and said yes. Guy said[about 50 yrs old] that he was a pretty good shot and competed in target matches.

Well, the kiddo absolutely DECIMATED him. First game 35 to 5, second game kid ran the score, guy DID pay off, kid won $20 bucks and last we saw of the guys was the other two laughing their asses off at the loser. It'll take a LONG time before he lives that down, if ever. DId not help matters that a whole lotta people were watching a 16 year old kid clean up on some supposed great white hunter. LMAO.

BTW, some of the most rediculous prices on guns I have ever seen and NO 7.62X39 at all. Did find ONE box of TAP .223 ammo. Bought that.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of idiot challenges a kid on a video game? Pwn3d!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#3]
That's so cool!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yep, you do use a gun in the game, but the kid has one of the gun game setups from a few years back that were basically pulled off the market for being too violent and actually using a "GASP"plastic gun. Kid is a pretty good shot using a real gun also. Very fast on target and triggering a shot off.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Any chance that the guy was just being nice to your son?  (Former Michigander from Centreville)

No way, his friends were razzing the absolute heck out of him and he was not happy in the least. He was a good sport about it, and paid up no problem, but he was definitely trying, he just could not get off a shot before the kiddo tagged it. First shot on target wins the point, second gets nothing.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That's a serious +1.  What was he thinkin?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#8]
i was there today what a mad house
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Any chance that the guy was just being nice to your son?  (Former Michigander from Centreville)

You have to admit, it would have been a nice way to generate some enthusiam for a young shooter.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Way to go Kid!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Ditto.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Um, none of those hunters were Korean, where they? . . .
CMOS
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#13]
The 50 year old loser is probably an internet commando.
He's probably in some chat room right now talking smack on how he whooped this young punk!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:48:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd say your kid learned a good lesson ...that honorable people pay up.  When he comes across the other type...well, that will be another story.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'd say your kid learned a good lesson ...that honorable people pay up.  When he comes across the other type...well, that will be another story.

Ain't that where the draw down lessons come into play?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Needs to be more young shooters and open minded parents. Alot of folks show them and women no respect when it comes to firearms and hunting.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:09:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Be sure to tell your son this:  when some old timer looking dude in bibbed overalls challenges him at a real match, don't bet more than he is willing to lose.  Especially if the old timer calls his bibs "overhauls" and shoots some scroungy looking shotgun.  The old timer will lose a few matches, then pull out a big wad of cash for "one more round"...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:17:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:30:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Areoe...sounds like you've been there...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:31:48 AM EDT
[#20]
sorry, i ment AeroE...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:47:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Be sure to tell your son this:  when some old timer looking dude in bibbed overalls challenges him at a real match, don't bet more than he is willing to lose.  Especially if the old timer calls his bibs "overhauls" and shoots some scroungy looking shotgun.  The old timer will lose a few matches, then pull out a big wad of cash for "one more round"...

Yeah, as a former pool hustler, I can attest to that sort of thing happening...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:54:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I was at a local sporting goods section of the supermarket (they had sales on ammo) and a few hunters were busy picking out ONE (that's 1) box of 30-06. I bought out all the 9mm Luger Winchester White box and a case of 500rd of Wolf .223 Remington. they looked at me all weird, as they were busy trying to find a box of 20rd of rifle ammo. I go through about 500rd-1000rd per rifle per range session. The deer hunters probably go through 10 rd.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:55:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Tell me about it...most hunters I know around here only pull out their guns once every year for deer season. They put about 5 rounds down range, at most, to "sight them in" and then maybe another 2-3 shots at a deer. They think that because they've been hunting for 30 years that they must now be "expert" marksmen.

What's hilarious is that many hunters I know will give me crap because I've only been shooting for a few years, but I've probably put more rounds through just my AR than they've put through all their rifles in their lifetime. Not to mention that I try to train regularly with my guns.

How do I know this? Well, lets put it this way. One of these hunters I know got me a 50 round box of black hills .223 for Christmas. Then I got another one from someone else. So, they guy says to me, 100 rounds of rifle ammo for your AR? That should last you a long time! I'm still using that 20 round box of .270 silvertips from 3 years ago!

Um yeah...I'll burn through more than that 100 rounds of BH in one range trip. If this guy could only see the buckets full of brass I have laying around at my house waiting to be reloaded, every one of them rounds I've fired, his eyes would probably bug out of his head.

Later I was talking about how I was going to be getting into reloading and eventually get a progressive reloader. Because he thinks that I'm just some inexperienced shooter he tells me that I don't need a progressive. A single stage is all I'd ever need. Progressives are only for people who are going to make a lot of ammo and sell it or people who are in a shooting club and make ammo for everyone at the club. Witha single stage I can make up a couple hundred rounds in a week and be good to go for a year or two...

Not that all hunters are this way (I'm a hunter myself), just a lot of them that I seem to meet around here.

ETA: Not trying to imply your son isn't a good shooter either. Sounds like you taught him well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:28:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I was at a local sporting goods section of the supermarket (they had sales on ammo) and a few hunters were busy picking out ONE (that's 1) box of 30-06. I bought out all the 9mm Luger Winchester White box and a case of 500rd of Wolf .223 Remington. they looked at me all weird, as they were busy trying to find a box of 20rd of rifle ammo. I go through about 500rd-1000rd per rifle per range session. The deer hunters probably go through 10 rd.

I know a lot of those guys.  A few rounds to check zero and a couple of rounds for a couple of deer.  Just casue these old boys don't shoot a lot don't mean they can't shoot.  A lot of them have a lot years killing game.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top