Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 6:13:03 PM EDT
My DirecTV Tivo just died.  Damn it, I know I should have burned though programs off!!!!  What should I replace it with . . a

Series 2 TIVO (80 GB version)
  --- This will allow me to easily transfer files off to my laptop
  --- Can record something downstairs and pay upstairs (assuming I buy a second one for the bedroom)
  --- Cost probably around $150
  --- $13/month or $299 lifetime (of the box)

Another DirecTV TIVO (80GB version)
  --- Free
  --- $5/month (already paying)

DirecTV DVR
  --- Something relativity new
  --- Seems propriety
  --- I can't find much info out about it
  --- Free
  --- $5/month (already paying)

Anyone had any experience with the Series 2's?  This is the first problem I have had out of my DTV TIVO.  I really like the idea of transfering the shows to my laptop so I could edit out the commercials and burn discs.  What's your 2 cents?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#1]
If your DTV one dies do they charge you to replace it?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Tannerite.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
You might call DirecTV and ask to speak to their "Customer RETENTION" department. Since they want to keep your business, they may offer a new setup if you sign a service agreement.

Also worth noting that DirecTV is on the verge of launching a whole bunch of new HiDef programming and there will be all new equipment. I'd ask the Retention department about that as well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:17:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh, they were really cool about it.  For $14 something I can get a, "most likely" 80 GB version sent out (it requireds a 2 year contract).  

But if I get another one, I want to make sure it is at least an 80 GB so I am just going to go to Best Buy and pick something up.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:22:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I dunno about Tivo but I have a replay that went down last month.  I pulled the hard drive and plugged it into my PC.  Downloaded some patch software and re-imaged the disk.  Works like new again.

You should be able to find software and info forums on the net.  There's a lot of do-it-yourselfers out there adding bigger harddrives and fixing their DTV units themselves.  I was surprised to see the guts of my replay was nothing more than a motherboard, a power supply and an 80gb Maxtor HDD.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I always go to www.weaknees.com when I have probs and just upgrade.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:12:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I always go to www.weaknees.com when I have probs and just upgrade.

Yup, just order a bigger harddrive from there, open up your directtv box and disconnect the old hDD, and plug in the new - you are now good to go. No contract, no fees, no nothin.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I just got a new DirectTV DVR.  Took that sucker back to Best Buy the next day and traded it for the DirectTV DVR with Tivo.  The DTV DVR interface sucked.  No thumbs up or thubs down, and it wouldn't record things it "thought" you liked.  The guide interface was really klugy as well.  I will cry when the DTV Tivos finally are sold out and mine dies.....  Direct TV has been rumored to have broken ties with Tivo.....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:26:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Millsusaf

You might go to www.satelliteguys.us and check around their site. It usually has good info on that type thing as well as lots of  other things. Just a thought.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Direct TV has been rumored to have broken ties with Tivo.....

It's not a rumor.  While they still have a contract, they are not renewing it, and are now selling their own proprietary DVR (the DirecTV model R-15).  If you are used to the excellent menu system and advanced features in a TiVo, you will NOT be happy with the R-15.

DTV *does* still have some R-10s in stock.  These are the TiVos, and they are Series 2 TiVos with 80GB/70-hour drives.  Due to DTV's arrangement with TiVo, you cannot get TiVo networking or TiVoToGo with a DTV TiVo, but otherwise, they are fantastic, and can be upgraded by www.weaknees.com.

-Troy

Yep, it was the R15 I returned to get one of the older R10's.  There was no comparison as to "ease of use."  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top