Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 5:01:23 PM EDT
How much in todays dollars will you need to retire comfortably, travel, continue our hobbies,  and then leave some for the kids.  I just ran some numbers for our family and if we continue to save at a reasonable level and assume  an 8% return  til age 65 we can save about 15 to 17 times our current income level.  We will also have our home and business that currently have a value of about four years income.  By the way,  this years return on my business's "simple retirement plan"  and our personal savings plan is at just over 15% return.  So averaging 8% should be a reasonable goal.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a calculation you can use to determine that called "the future value of a single sum"

a) What percentage rate are you investing at?
b) How long will the money remain invested at this rate?
c) How much $$ will you have to initially deposit (or invest)?

There are multipliers in financial calculation tables to show you how to determine this.

Basically, the formula is telling you how much, for instance, $10,000 at x% interest for x years will amount to how much?

It also works in reverse, say, how much do I have to invest today to have $500K in 10 years?

Here's a link to UIC free calculator.
Link:  http://www.uic.edu/classes/actg/actg500/pfvatutor.htm

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
There is a calculation you can use to determine that called "the future value of a single sum"

a) What percentage rate are you investing at?
b) How long will the money remain invested at this rate?
c) How much $$ will you have to initially deposit (or invest)?

There are multipliers in financial calculation tables to show you how to determine this.

Basically, the formula is telling you how much, for instance, $10,000 at x% interest for x years will amount to how much?

It also works in reverse, say, how much do I have to invest today to have $500K in 10 years?

Here's a link to UIC free calculator.
Link:  www.uic.edu/classes/actg/actg500/pfvatutor.htm

Made hot.

I have to be of some use around here
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe my wife said we need to have about $3,500,000 if we are to retire at current living standard in 25 years.   I bet my house would be worth atleast $1,000,000 by then.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget about that the dollar loses about 5% a year historically due to inflation, etc. This is a long term average, and your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#5]
i just need enough to live in a nice free state.
in a small house with 10-20 acres.
and be able to shoot there whenever i want.

everything else can 'F - OFF !!!!

keep it simple, and you wont need millions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top