Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 3:52:06 PM EDT
My connection seems to slow down every once in a while recently. I wonder if someone may have cracked my code and am using my bandwith.I am using wep security.

Are there ways to check and track possible users??
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Enable MAC filtering in your router.

Then nobody can connect to your system without the correct MAC address.

ETA:  Most routers keep a log.  Check the log for foreign MAC addresses.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I doubt anyone is stealing your bandwidth but just change your wep key and monitor it.

Speed does fluctuate if you're on a shared connection like cable. You could also get a new router with wpa which is supposedly harder to crack.

Nothing is uncrackable but if you make it more trouble than it's worth they'll probably go away.

Are you using bittorrent? If so, the sharing function can seriously impact your bandwidth.

You might also want to ask in the "urban commandos" section of the site.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, was hoping you wouldn't notice
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#4]
NetXRay or TCPSpy

Sniff the packets, steal their passwords, and then fuck up their internet life.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
NetXRay or TCPSpy

Sniff the packets, steal their passwords, and then fuck up their internet life.

Accessing their accounts with sniffed passwords is illegal too.  Just because someone broke in your house doesn't insulate you from charges when you break into the thief's house.

Log in to your router and look at the connection logs.  Check your own MAC addresses, turn on MAC address filtering (though MACs are spoofable), change the WEP code.  There are a LOT of reasons why a net connection can slow down.  You wouldn't happen to be on cable broadband?

Jim
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Airsnare and change to WPA
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Enable MAC filtering in your router.

Then nobody can connect to your system without the correct MAC address.

This isn't quite true.  It's pretty easy to spoof a MAC address.

ETA:  The second part was correct.  Look for foreign MAC addresses in the router's log.  I have a buddy who leaves his access point wide open but unless you can VPN into his network, it doesn't do those attempted leeches any good.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#8]
You'd best move your house further away from your neighbors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top