Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 2:27:54 PM EDT
FBI seeks information on missing assault rifle

BY BURKE WASSON
BY BURKE WASSON, [email protected]
December 15, 2005

An assault rifle last used in October by U.S. Army personnel at an NAS Fallon training range has been reported missing, and FBI agents have now been called on board for assistance.

According to the FBI's Reno office, a U.S. Army Colt M-4 rifle has been missing since Oct. 11 from an NAS Fallon training range.

FBI Special Agent David Staretz confirmed Wednesday that the weapon was last seen while an Army unit was conducting a training exercise at Bravo 17, which is 35 miles east of the Naval Air Station and just south of U.S. Highway 50.

According to the FBI, the weapon's configuration makes it illegal for anyone not part of either the U.S. military or an authorized law enforcement agency to possess the rifle. Anyone convicted of illegal possession of such a missing rifle could face up to 10 years in federal prison.

Staretz said he believes the Army unit that last used the weapon contacted the FBI for help in the matter after conducting an unsuccessful search of its own.

"I believe we were approached by the Army," Staretz said. "They came to us and asked us for help. This is something they can maybe better find by getting the word out to the public."

FBI flyers advertising a $1,000 reward for information leading to the rifle's recovery are currently posted at various locations in Fallon.

NAS Fallon Public Affairs Officer Zip Upham said he could not speculate as to how the assault rifle could have been lost from one of the base's training ranges.

Because the weapon was last seen while in the use of the U.S. Army unit in training, Upham said the Navy has no involvement in the investigation and is looking to the Army and FBI to conduct the recovery procedure.

"While the range is used by other units and branches of the military from time to time in both airborne missions and ground training, how it (the rifle) could have gone missing is more inclusive to the unit," Upham said. "Unfortunately, not only is the Navy not involved in the investigation, but it's up to how the Army handles it when a weapon comes missing. And in this case, they've gone to the FBI."

Upham said the missing U.S. Army Colt M-4 rifle is essentially a version of the U.S. Navy's M-16 rifle.

According to the FBI, the blue-barreled rifle has the number 107 stenciled in white across the top rear portion of its collapsible buttstock. Its serial number is W_501.

FBI reports indicate that during the weapon's last use, it was set up to fire Simunition 9 millimeter caliber training rounds
, which have a similar effect as paintball rounds.

At this point, both Staretz and Upham said public assistance is necessary in order to secure the weapon's recovery.

"Having done a physical search of the area and coming up stumped, I suppose that now the next step is seeing if anyone has heard anything," Upham said.

Anyone with information leading to the rifle's recovery is asked to contact FBI Special Agent Kip R. Steele at the Reno Resident Agency by calling 775-825-6600.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#1]
WHY NO, I DON'T HAVE THAT HIDDEN IN MY GARAGE.................
*goes to garage and tosses M-4 that "fell off a truck" in the neighbor's pool*
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I had it,but i had a boating accident
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#3]
If I had a nickel for every machine gun stolen from the military, I'd have enough to buy my own!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Being that the FBI ROUTINELY loses fully automatic weapons of ITS OWN I don't hold out much hope for this one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard the Heineken looter looted it.

Hope he aint looted no dogs yet.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I bet whoever has that is having a crap-load of fun in the desert with it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#7]
For Sale

Genuine M4 rifle,collapsible buttstock,serial# W_501......
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#8]
A $1,000 reward for a weapon with a $10,000+ resale value.. ha!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#9]
a 9mm M-4 Bastages.  Wait, one more thing.

HOW IN THE BLUE FUCK DO YOU LOSE A RIFLE?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#10]
If they had to pay as much for their toys as we do for ours, they'd figure out a way retain them better. While regular folks DO lose NFA weapons, it's extremely rare. You tend to work a little harder to secure something you paid north of $10,000 for.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#11]
What a coinicidence...

Why just today I saw a post in the EE board offering a 9mm Simunitions upper for sale.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If they had to pay as much for their toys as we do for ours, they'd figure out a way retain them better. While regular folks DO lose NFA weapons, it's extremely rare. You tend to work a little harder to secure something you paid north of $10,000 for.

Yeah, and a brand new colt M-4 is less than a grand to the .MIL  They pay that for toilet seats.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Why does the weapons configuration make it illegal for anyone other than the military or law enforcement to posses?  Stolen goverment property I can see but an M-4?  Suprised the BATF isnt in on this.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't see how this possibly could have happened?  While on an FTX once, some shitbird lost his NODs, the entire company was up all night policing the entire AO until they were found, and they can't kill anybody!  Someone is gonna lose rank and probably do time at L'worth for this!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Being that the FBI ROUTINELY loses fully automatic weapons of ITS OWN I don't hold out much hope for this one.

I think they better send them all to us for safe keeping
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#16]
opps ........
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Dad had a buddy in the guard lose his A1 in training in camp robinson here in LR back in the early 80s'  About the time he got out, 93 I think, someone found a rusted out A1 while hunting in the area.  Serial number was illegible but they think, and hope, it was the same one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Only legal ones are worth $10,000, although I'm sure some one would pay a couple grand for it, it really has no resale value.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I can't see how this possibly could have happened?  While on an FTX once, some shitbird lost his NODs, the entire company was up all night policing the entire AO until they were found, and they can't kill anybody!  Someone is gonna lose rank and probably do time at L'worth for this!

My thoughts exactly.  I've had an XO lose his M9 at NTC once.  That wasn't fun at all.  Luckily the dumbass found it before we were doing hands across the desert, double arm interval walking in straight lines over every inch of space we'd been at.

As many weapons the FBI loses, they should be able to help find this one as they've had lots of practice.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Why does the weapons configuration make it illegal for anyone other than the military or law enforcement to posses?  Stolen goverment property I can see but an M-4?  Suprised the BATF isnt in on this.

The Simuntions upper isn't the real problem... although  the M-4 upper has a 14.5" barrel and does fire centerfire ammunition as defined by law, so technically the rig could be classified as an SBR.

It's the M-4 select-fire lower that's illegal. And since it was manufactured after 1986 it's only legal for the military, LEOs and specialy licensed individuals to posess.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#21]
It's on the EE.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I think if a civilian owner lost it, it would be in the domain of the BATF, but I'm sure that the ATf would assist if it could.  Stolen govt property is the FBI's responsibilty.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Simuntions upper isn't the problem, it's the M-4 select-fire lower that's illegal. And since it was manufactured after 1986 it's only legal for the military, LEOs and specialy licensed individuals to posess.

Specially licensed individuals who are Class III NFA etc? If so thats my point, They didnt mention them in the news article.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Leave it to the Army.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.  I've had an XO lose his M9 at NTC once.  That wasn't fun at all.  Luckily the dumbass found it before we were doing hands across the desert, double arm interval walking in straight lines over every inch of space we'd been at.

As many weapons the FBI loses, they should be able to help find this one as they've had lots of practice.

I remember someone lost a rifle on the DZ jumping into an exercise.our whole company spent two days at double arm intervals looking for it in 8' tall cuna grass. eventually it was found. there was
a long running joke about how the next exercise would be someone dropping a firing pin out of a c-130, and we would have to find it.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Leave it to the Army.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#27]
God it sucks to lose equiptment in the field, (memories about hands across the swamp at ft benning)
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#28]
who cares,

why dont they get a real job

OHH they could shoot us with 3 shot bursts

this is a job for the local cops
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I found an M14 while on an FTX on Ft. Bragg once. It was pretty eat up.
I was a cherry E2 and went to the 1st Sgt and said "Look what I found"

He relieved me of it no questions asked. I never followed up on it either.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
who cares,

why dont they get a real job

OHH they could shoot us with 3 shot bursts

Yeah if it were private property it would make sense, but this is US gov't property that is why a gov't agency is helping.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

No, It is on Fed property, that makes it a Fed Prob....

If anything the ARMY should just handle it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#32]
That gun is split up by now...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I saw 3 M9's go over the side while in the Navy only 1 was found, the others went over the side of a RHIB..... lost by the same officer.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#34]
man if I had a M4rgery I would paint a #107 on it and get some range time!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Why did this make news? OMG the FBI lost a an M4! A weapon so powerful that it is known to the state of California to be a weapon of mass destruction!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Doesnt have a resale value... Not transferrable... I wouldnt touch that thing with your dick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top