Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 10:43:55 AM EDT
Cannot watch a movie or television without seeing a bunch of people walking around with guns, swinging them all over and continuously pointing them at everyone else around them.

If everyone were as inept, stupid and ignorant as them I might actually agree that guns should be banned and you'd think they'd eventually get their act together. In any event, nobody does it worse than they.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the muzzlesweep is strong in Hollywood.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Proper weapons handleing proceedures are not sexy to the sheeple.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#3]

people actually think what happens in the movies is real (or at least a realistic representation thereof).

sadly, that is part of the reason that gun legislation goes over so easily. who was that guy back in the 80's that cited Miami Vice episodes in his campaign to ban MG's?

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for sharing, Doc.
BTW, did you know that the main reason that handguns are so often held pointing up at shoulder height is so they can be framed in the same shot with a close-up of the actors face?  More "exciting shot".
A lot of the "waving around" is to help keep attention focused on the guns because that's cinematically "exciting".
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for sharing, Doc.
BTW, did you know that the main reason that handguns are so often held pointing up at shoulder height is so they can be framed in the same shot with a close-up of the actors face?  More "exciting shot".
A lot of the "waving around" is to help keep attention focused on the guns because that's cinematically "exciting".

Yep.  Position "sul", while practical, effective, and, safe isn't exactly the most
cinematicly effective.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for sharing, Doc.

I'm trying to remember why this shot is still to this day called the "Christy shot"

What was "Police womans" Name on the show?

efxguy
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#7]
If they used live ammo the population of Hollyweirds would diminish to a more suitable level.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

people actually think what happens in the movies is real (or at least a realistic representation thereof).

sadly, that is part of the reason that gun legislation goes over so easily. who was that guy back in the 80's that cited Miami Vice episodes in his campaign to ban MG's?

Sen Jack Hughes from NJ. Now dead. I hope the SOB choked on his own blood before his last breath.

In congressional record that MG violence was so bad as depicted in "Miami Vice" as if that happened every week. Sad.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#9]
My favorite is the "gansta" horizontal handgun pointing method....

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My favorite is the "gansta" horizontal handgun pointing method....

+1
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#11]

I'm trying to remember why this shot is still to this day called the "Christy shot"

"Get Christy Love"

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#12]
It runs over. Yesterday I was supposed to go shooting with my brother and stepdad.  My brother asked me to see my Glock 22 (he has one to) cause I have the finger grooves and thumb rest shaved off.  I dropped the mag, and cleared the chamber and handed it to him, pointed down, slide locked open.  He's 29 but has an 18 year old GF and wanted to look bad ass so he dropped the slide and proceeded to throw it in the air and grab it by the muzzle sweeping me and his GF.  I went OFF.  He just goes "It's not loaded"  I went off again, and in very loud unmistakable terms told him he was fucking retarded and knew firearm safety better than that and he needed to grow the fuck up.  I told him to give me my gun back, he actually stuck the fucking muzzle against his head and yelled "IT'S NOT FUCKING LOADED NUMBNUTS, NOTHING IS GONNA HAPPEN"  This got a response from me that would have done Chesty Puller proud.  I told him to get the fuck out of my site and thanks, cause I just lost my favorite shooting partner, I'd never be around him again if he had access to firearms.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, Hollywood is almost as bad as the Mexican Army.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Another handling error is when they carry around a shotty in a clearly dangerous environment and right when they get ready to shoot...they rack it.

OR...when somebody is threatening to shoot someone else with a pistol, and when they really    get serious, they rack the slide.

OMG I hate that.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Another handling error is when they carry around a shotty in a clearly dangerous environment and right when they get ready to shoot...they rack it.

OR...when somebody is threatening to shoot someone else with a pistol, and when they really    get serious, they rack the slide.

OMG I hate that.

The best is when someone's got a 1911 to someone's head and telling them to do something, then when the person doesn't do it they cock the hammer
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#17]
At least most of "Way of the Gun" is correct.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMG I hate that.

The best is when someone's got a 1911 to someone's head and telling them to do something, then when the person doesn't do it they cock the hammer

yep, and then decocking it when things chill out.  Come on, holster that bad boy, wait, let me tape that lol
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
What was "Police womans" Name on the show?

pepper anderson (angie dickinson). man, she got me through puberty!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

OMG I hate that.

Yeah, half the time they rack the damn thing a couple of times in the same scene(without shucking a case out).

Then there are all the sparks bullets make.
Some guy is running up a flight of stairs and every round is hitting the railing and misses the hero. A round raling no less. Guess they are all frangible.

The gun safety thing really gets me with that bunch though considering the way they demonize gun owners.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Ask Brandon Lee about Hollywierd gun handling...

(You'll need a Oeija board for starters...)
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#22]
The ones that get me are the movies where everytime someone points a gun at anything, you hear a hammer cock -- especially if it's a Glock.  

Or cocking a hammer back on a 1911 after it's just been fired (see Stand by Me).
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Ask Brandon Lee about Hollywierd gun handling...

(You'll need a Oeija board for starters...)

Or that asshat (on a soap I think) that put a 44 to his head and lit off a blank (and most of his skull, and what few brains he had in there)

"it's only a blank"  should be on the list of stupidity right after "hold my beer and watch this"

IIRC The armorer was at fault with the Brandon Lee thing. A primer was left intact on a dummy round. That lodged a bullet in the barrel. The next blank fired was essentially a very hot live round.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The ones that get me are the movies where everytime someone points a gun at anything, you hear a hammer cock -- especially if it's a Glock.  

Or cocking a hammer back on a 1911 after it's just been fired (see Stand by Me).

how about the "click click click" as the trigger is pulled on a semi-auto with the slide locked back?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Or that asshat (on a soap I think) that put a 44 to his head and lit off a blank (and most of his skull, and what few brains he had in there)

"it's only a blank"  should be on the list of stupidity right after "hold my beer and watch this"

The guy's name was Jon-Erik Hexum.  On the TV
Cover Up (1984) he was supposed to play a weapons expert.

Dani Reynolds thinks that she has the perfect life, a perfect job, she's a renowned fashion photographer, and has a loving husband. But things change for her when her husband is killed. She learns that her husband wasn't the mild mannered person she thought he was. It seems that he was a government agent who works with no official government backing. She then recruits Mac Harper an ex-Green Beret to help her find out what happened to her husband.

The set's weapons master should've have remove the gun when it is not being used, it was his fault.
Jon-Erik Hexum

However, on October 12th, 1984 after a long and draining day's shooting on the set of Cover Up (1984) (TV), Hexum became bored with the extensive delays and jokingly put a prop .44 magnum revolver to his temple and pulled the trigger. The gun fired, and the wadding from the blank cartridge shattered his skull, whereupon the mortally injured Hexum was rushed via ambulance to hospital to undergo extensive surgery. Despite five hours of work, the chief surgeon Dr David Ditsworth, described the damage to Hexum's brain as life ending, and one week later on October 18th, he was taken off life support and pronounced dead. However, Hexum's commitment to organ donation, meant five other lives were assisted or saved with organs harvested from him. The youthful & charming Hexum was dead at only 26 years of age.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top