Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 8:19:43 AM EDT
My Company has had a couple of operations in Mexico this year, and,
they required Spanish language speakers.

I made out ok on other assignments, but, It made me think.

One of my goals of 06 is to become passable in Spanish.

Any suggestions on how to learn?

I can't go to school, becaeu I'm on the road 9-10 months out of the year,
so, what alternitives do I have?

Any good CPU programs?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm kind of in the same boat.  I travel about 80% of the time and to various parts of the US and overseas.  Lately I've found myself at a severe disadvantage when it comes to those of the Spanish speaking persuasion.  

A good computer program would really help.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I've heard good things about Rosetta Stone, FWIW.

I've thought of buying it for Italian, myself....
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:22:16 AM EDT
[#3]
If Texas is anything like AZ, eat at McDonalds and Burger King more. That should help you learn spanish
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#4]
My daughter just started taking Spanish via the internet.  

The best programs that I have found have all been Online College courses.  This way you have the computer to prompt you while you are on the road but you also have a teacher available via phone or chat should you have a problem.  The cost is well worth it, in my never to be humble opinion.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Go to the Wal Mart and try asking where stuff is.  You will pick it up eventually.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Use the Hugo Spanish in 3 months by Isabel Cisneros.  Before I used that, I looked at several other books, and they were useless to me.  They tell what words are and how to say phrases, but do not explain grammar.  The book I mentioned is easy to follow and clearly explains grammar and everything.  It is very concise and detailed.

I also learned by translating things from English to Spanish and reading things in Spanish (Spanish news sites, etc).  I also often watch movies with Spanish audio.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:48:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Just hang around Wal-Mart. You should be able to pick up basic conversational Spanish in about two weeks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Move to San Antonio haha... better yet, Laredo

This is something that helped me a lot when I needed to know the basics of Spanish for a college class, and it worked on me pretty well.  I made my fiance talk with me in Spanish for a little bit each day.  That kind of immersion was a lot of help.  Whatever you do, though, keep it up.  I've pretty much lost all of it since a year ago when I took the course.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Watch the Spanish TV channels, WAIT on second thought that might not be a good idea as you will be paying too much attention to the hotties than the language.

BTW, if you need a text on Spanish slang, let me know.  I have a rather large word doc that is full of slang from most Spanish speaking countries.  Even has tip's on words NOT to say in certain countries.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I have been told that one free/possibly very good way to learn a bit (of any language) is to download songs in [the language] online, and then also look up the English translations of them online. For some people it's drastically easier to remember a song than just lists of words.

And if nothing else, at least you will be able to audition on the Mexican version of Pop Idol....
~
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#11]
My fiance doesn't speak a word of English.  That has improved my Spanish speaking skills exponentially.

The best way to learn is immersion.  I had 4 years in high school 10 years prior to my trip and pretty much forgot all of it when I took my first trip to a Spanish speaking country.  In that one week I had improved a lot.  

Then I bought some PC software, Rosetta stone is good for basics, the Learn to Speak series is better for grammar and more difficult concepts once you get the basics.  But, neither will replace speaking Spanish with people who are native speakers, and don't have English as a backup.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#12]
There are very cheap Spanish schools all over Central and South America that include room and board with a local family. I've been meaning to attend one and have it be part of a vacation. Do a Google search. One of my friends went to Escuela de Espanol in Antigua, Guatemala and loved it. Their # is 011-502-9-323028
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#13]
The suggestion to watch spanish TV is not a bad idea. Watch the news programs though not the novellas. The news commentators will talk slowly enough and enunciate all the words and make it easier to understand than full speed conversations.

Interactive DVDs are also helpful.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#14]
For TV try watching Sesame Street in Spanish

A good tape is "Spanish for Gringos"
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Go to the Wal Mart and try asking where stuff is.  You will pick it up eventually.

Ouch...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've heard good things about Rosetta Stone, FWIW.

I've thought of buying it for Italian, myself....

Rosetta Stone is the program I've been thinking about using.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Buy a phrasebook.  There are also IIRC tapes that you can buy(I don't know about CD's/DVD's) that you can play and you can figure it out.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ouch...

Truth hurts.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I started learning Portuguese using CDs (the Pimsleur method).   Pimsleur worked well for me and now I'm trying the Rosetta Stone computer program.   When I can't understand something I'll translate it using Google Language Tools.    
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Don't come any further south than SA. Trust me.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't come any further south than SA Austin. Trust me.

Oh, I know.  Don't worry.

I'm going to move shortly, and, It ain't gonna be south of Waco.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My fiance doesn't speak a word of English.  That has improved my Spanish speaking skills exponentially.

The best way to learn is immersion.  I had 4 years in high school 10 years prior to my trip and pretty much forgot all of it when I took my first trip to a Spanish speaking country.  In that one week I had improved a lot.  

Then I bought some PC software, Rosetta stone is good for basics, the Learn to Speak series is better for grammar and more difficult concepts once you get the basics.  But, neither will replace speaking Spanish with people who are native speakers, and don't have English as a backup.

+1
Rosetta Stone for the basics.  Immersion in a Spanish speaking country for practice and perfection.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Leave your TV on Telemundo 24/7, you'll be jabbering along in no time <G>.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#24]
tag
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Link to Spanish language courses on E bay.

You can just Google "Learn Spanish" & get a bunch of sites.

Also, Sam's Club & Wal-Mart usually have CDs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top