Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 7:53:58 AM EDT
Do you store your ammunition in the safe or seperate?

I'm torn if I want flammable materials in the safe or not.  I know mine is fire rated at 1200 degrees with a internal temp of 275 but still.

David
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Separate.

No room in the Inn.    
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:00:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Separate.

No room in the Inn.    

Seperate. Didn't want the possibility of major cook-offs in a fire.

That said, some weapons were stored loaded.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Out.... I have ammo cans for the rest and they are stored in a separate area of my work shop.  

The only ammo I keep in the safe is one magazine of .45.  

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Handgun ammo inside right now, but running out of room. Soon, I'll need shelves in the room for the ammo.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That said, some weapons were stored loaded.

Most of the guns in my safe are loaded.

If those rounds cook off and penetrate the steel walls of the safe, oh well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I keep a few loaded mags for the AR's & UZI in the safe, the handguns are always loaded, in or out of the safe.  Most of my boxed ammo and the excess loaded mags are in ammo cans or case packs for transport to the range.

I figure if I ever need a long gun for defense at home, I'll at least be able to do more than try and bluff intruders with an AR or UZI.

Not really enough space to a LOT of ammo in my Browning Medallion safe, it's 60" x 30" x 27".  Besides, the ammo is not what they are likely to steal in my opinion.  Too heavy and of low value compared to jewelry, guns, etc.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:04:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I keep about 6000rnds of .223 in the safe to add weight to it.  It's one of the smaller Fort Knox Models.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I keep about 6000rnds of .223 in the safe to add weight to it.  It's one of the smaller Fort Knox Models.

Same here, my long guns are shorter than most since I like everything good and evil...I keep a few cases in there to weigh it down...not worried about cookoff since the safe is good to like 1600 F for 50 min, and the fire department is 1 block away.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:13:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Most of the guns in my safe are loaded.

If those rounds cook off and penetrate the steel walls of the safe, oh well.

Oh, hell. I worry about the guns being damaged, not me. I won't be sticking around the area long enough to be worried about that.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I keep 2000rnds of XM193 in the bottom of my safe.  The rest is next to it in cans.  Not sure that it matters
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Separate.

No room in the Inn.    

+1
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I have two safes and I still don't have room for ammo in them...  Neither of my safes are all that big however...

Like suggested above, I like to add extra weight to my safe so I have a stockpile of 25-lb lead shot that I buy when ever I find it cheap...  Funny as I don't have a shotgun reloading setup yet...  I likely have about 200# of lead in each safe.

I am looking to buy a small metal cabinet with shelves that I can lock and store my ammo in as I don't like the idea of having the ammo in the safe with the guns...  I do keep a little in there in case SHTF and I need to grab and go but a couple loaded AR mags, UZI Mags, AK-47 mags, and Glock mags plus a couple boxes of buckshot is all I keep in the safe.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#13]
My real worry is about my valuables in the safe getting damaged if (god willing it won't) my house catches on fire.  Weight is not a problem...my safe is 900 lbs empty, its a Liberty.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:35:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I store mine outside the safe.  I figure safety-wise (I have kids in the house) the ammo is useless without the guns to fire it.

I may start keeping a couple loaded mags in it now though after listening to these replies.  I just hate keeping ammo in magazines for long periods of time.  I worry about compressing the springs for long periods of time.  I'm probably just a worry-wart, but I don't like leaving springs under tension.  I usually even dry fire my guns before storing them.

Besides, what good gun nut has room in his safe for anything BUT guns!  he he he
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I store mine outside the safe.  I figure safety-wise (I have kids in the house) the ammo is useless without the guns to fire it.

I may start keeping a couple loaded mags in it now though after listening to these replies.  I just hate keeping ammo in magazines for long periods of time.  I worry about compressing the springs for long periods of time.  I'm probably just a worry-wart, but I don't like leaving springs under tension.  I usually even dry fire my guns before storing them.

Besides, what good gun nut has room in his safe for anything BUT guns!  he he he

A NRA Instructor told me once that he was about to finish a 12 year magazine test.  He loaded 12 AR mags and stored them.  Fired one mag a year....it was either this year or last was his last mag.  The rumor I've heard is that the up and down action of the spring is what reduces it's power.

I keep a few mags loaded but if they had a problem I've got others to replace them.

David
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#16]
The stored mags losing their spring strength claim seems to be another myth.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#17]
If it's so hot that your ammo is cooking off, I would think your safe is in such a hot spot that your guns are already completely F*d.

Good as extra weight, but only if you have the room.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#18]
My personal experience with a Lightweight Colt Commander in .45 is:

My original magazine for this gun has been kept fully loaded ever since I bought it in 1970.  I took the gun  out a few weeks ago, and it worked flawlessly.  I reloaded the mag and ran it again without a problem.  I reloaded it, and put it back in the safe.

I'd say the theory about the storage damaging the spring tension is probably based on conjecture, not experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top