Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 9:16:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#1]
There has been action going on about this on the AR side for weeks now .
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
The funny thing about it, is you kinda have to hope the receiver you purchase gets banned. You can't put a pistol grip on it until it gets registered as an assault weapon. It's kind of funny in a way - hoping your new reciever gets listed as an assault weapon.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The funny thing about it, is you kinda have to hope the receiver you purchase gets banned. You can't put a pistol grip on it until it gets registered as an assault weapon. It's kind of funny in a way - hoping your new reciever gets listed as an assault weapon.

I look at it this way.  If a stripped lower that I purchase never gets updated onto a banned list then I'm one up on things regardless.  Sure it's pretty useless to me now but supposing the AWB is repealed, the reciever is added to the banned list or I eventually follow your example and leave the state then I've not wasted any money.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#5]
So wait....its perfectly legal to buy a stripped lower in CA if you don't build it?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:26:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So wait....its perfectly legal to buy a stripped lower in CA if you don't build it?

What he said.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:40:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone selling stripped lowers in CA?.  Would it be legal to buy one in AZ or NV and bring it back?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:32:43 AM EDT
[#9]
That means completing a stripped lower from an unmarked, unfinished casting or forging is legal too.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:33:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The funny thing about it, is you kinda have to hope the receiver you purchase gets banned. You can't put a pistol grip on it until it gets registered as an assault weapon....

Or until you drive it over the border into Oregon, Nevada, or Arizona to go target shooting.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

[I'd like to leave this up for a few days to get some hits to the thread - the Attorney General could close this huge loop-hole at any time]

Probably retroactively too.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#13]
so anybody willing to step up and sell to us in CA?  If so, let me know! I've got my credit card in hand and ready to place an order.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Hell, I would so be in if I could....but Im only in state for like 4 more days, and back to Germany, even though my place of residence is still here.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#15]
God please help you Californians.  We need to parachute in about 5,000,000 Republicans next election.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What he said.

A stripped lower from a company NOT listed in the current list of banned manufacturers.  Any Colt lower for example, because it would fall under the "Colt AR series" prohibition.  One say from Stag, etc, because when assembled it wouldn't be on the list already, and until you build it it wouldn't fall under the characteristics provisions.  The kicker is that you have 60/90 days to register a gun after it is added to the list.  So the idea is to have a bare lower sitting around and when the name is added, finish it and register it during the "grace" period for that name.  Otherwise if it isn't added to the list you have no grace period and it would then fall under the generic characteristics law if built.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:14:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks Paul.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:18:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#19]
UPDATE!!!  12-14-05  CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS. WE CANNOT SELL STAG LOWERS IN CALIFORNIA UNTIL DOJ HAS ISSUED AN ORDER SAYING SO. I TALKED WITH STAG THIS MORNING, AND THEY ARE AWAITING THIS RULING. WHEN IT COMES, IN ABOUT 10 DAYS, WE WILL POST IT HERE.  

This is from Lonestar Wholesale.

www.lonestarwholesale.com/
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Interesting...I was under the impression that this was a Dead Issue because the AR and AK Series Receivers are covered under the 1989 Roberti Roos Act and the CA State Supreme Court Ruled that the Roberti-Roos Act which gave the CA Attorney General the power to add additional weapons to the list of banned weapons (in effect legislate) did not violate the State Constitution on Seperation of Powers.

Unlike SB23 which defines an Assault Weapon as having certain distinguishing characteristics, the Roberti-Roos Act defines anything as an Assault Weapon on its list.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What he said.

A stripped lower from a company NOT listed in the current list of banned manufacturers.  Any Colt lower for example, because it would fall under the "Colt AR series" prohibition.  One say from Stag, etc, because when assembled it wouldn't be on the list already, and until you build it it wouldn't fall under the characteristics provisions.  The kicker is that you have 60/90 days to register a gun after it is added to the list.  So the idea is to have a bare lower sitting around and when the name is added, finish it and register it during the "grace" period for that name.  Otherwise if it isn't added to the list you have no grace period and it would then fall under the generic characteristics law if built.

Nevermind my above post. This quote explains it to me.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#22]
If you would like to see some more on this..Check out some of the threads regarding this,
if interested..
www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=71
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top