Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 8:20:33 PM EDT
My boss's wife says they're for fat and old guys (I'm neither).  My brother says the same.  Are they really that bad with dress pants?

Metrosexuals and women only please respond (oh go ahead anyone, like that would stop you guys)

Edit--Since robertl asked for it...
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTP
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#2]
for old fat men
get the cool ones that look like tape measures  my dad wears those
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Honestly, I think suspenders are quite sexy on a man.  But then, I'm into nerds.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]
In my experiance, belts work much better.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Honestly, I think suspenders are quite sexy on a man.  But then, I'm into nerds.  

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Suspenders make Klinton smile:

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#7]
with dress pants and a dress shirt they are fine, but if you wore them with a pair of jeans you'd have to either be an old man or a skinhead
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the VN era canvas "H" style ones for my gear...

Oh.

Never mind.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Never thought of skinheads wearing suspenders...ratty old jeans and a hitler T-shirt maybe...

Suspenders can look nice with a shirt and tie...not just for fat old men...

The only suspenders I wear are the LBE with my BDU uniform. Keeps that damned web belt up when you are carying a gas mask, canteen, and mag pouch...

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
with dress pants and a dress shirt they are fine, but if you wore them with a pair of jeans you'd have to either be an old man or a skinhead

Whoa, wait a sec...skinheads wear suspenders?

I did a google image search for skinheads, and I just see...well...skinheads. I'm not seeing alot of suspenders. Perhaps it's a regional thing?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#11]
The only guys I know who wear suspenders (now that the '80s "braces" thing is over) are very fat - 250 pounds or more.  Suspenders are for fat guys.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did a google image search for skinheads, and I just see...well...skinheads. I'm not seeing alot of suspenders. Perhaps it's a regional thing?

I used to wear a set back in my punker days - mostly down.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#13]
They're COOL!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Something tells me that "true" Skinheads aren't gonna have pictures all over the internet.  When I worked at Circuit City one of the kids I worked with was a Skinhead and he most definatly wore suspenders when he was in his "other" uniform.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Just to be clear.....Braces button, suspenders snap. Braces on dress pants w/ buttons sewn on the INSIDE of the waistband used to be the heat. The popularity has kinda faded, just like the cigar bars and single malt scotch. (my favorite) However, the cheesy stretchy kind that sell for ten bucks at JC Penney will never do. Back in the college days, I used to sell custom suits in an upper-tier men's store. They sold braces that started at $100. made by Trafalgar. Now I wear the cheesy red kind that all firemen wear.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They're COOL!!
www.sitcomsonline.com/morkcast.jpg

Robin W. is gay, notice the rainbows design? He worn them to let all the gay people know he was gay....

If you are so fat that a belt alone won't hold up your pants, OK.  But if your are not that fat then suspenders are for gays.

Edit: You can also wear them if you want all the gays to feel comfortable around you since you, while not gay, are a sensitive and understanding fella.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

its not regional, its a completly international thing.  Google "boots and braces" (braces being another word for suspenders) and see what it comes up with.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#18]
All I know is that skinheads supposedly wear Doc Marten boots.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#19]
How do you carry a holster with suspenders?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

its not regional, its a completly international thing.  Google "boots and braces" (braces being another word for suspenders) and see what it comes up with.

Ah ha! I get it now. Interestingly, everybody has a British sort of look, to me.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:24:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Just don't go into a store in London and ask for 'pants and suspenders' or they will look at you funny...trust me on this one.

You want "trousers and braces" instead.

Ed
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:52:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My boss's wife says they're for fat and old guys (I'm neither).  My brother says the same.  Are they really that bad with dress pants?

Metrosexuals and women only please respond (oh go ahead anyone, like that would stop you guys)

Suspenders are teh read elacstic thigns with clips; braces button into your suit trousers; they make the pant lay much flatter and allow more freedom of movement; your suit will look 10X better.  You can find great ones wiht cigars, military academy shields, guns, surf borads, what have you - silk is the best.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:54:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
How do you carry a holster with suspenders?

Shoulder holster - Walther PPK; Brioni suit.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:56:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Old, fat, hick etc.

The upside is that no one will acuse you of having any fashion sense.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:32:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Suspenders are to be worn with a suit and tie or a set of chest waders.

Other then that, they shouldn't be worn.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC, they also wear different color suspenders to mean different things (like they do with their shoelaces).
Red suspenders might signify one thing, white suspenders might signify another.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#27]
wow, i never knew suspenders were a fat guy thing! to me, suspenders, the real ones that button in (fuck "braces"!), have that classical look, like cufflinks, fedoras, and cigarette cases. i love 'em!

and they're fantastic ideas for field uniforms too! when the marcor was looking at changing their cammies, i actually got some guys from the uniform board to look at a set of east german cammies with the suspenders... they didn't adopt 'em but they considered it!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Perry Suspenders are standard equipment for Secret Service guys, and others that wear lots of gear. Keeps your pants from falling down, or looking like you're carrying a lot of stuff.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#29]
When I was a little deej86 I wore suspenders...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#30]
suspenders are "uber-tactical"!!!! Try fighting running or jumping with tons o' equipment just hanging off a belt! you end up with your pants down your ankles! also tightening your belt might work "so-so" but it causes problems with the digestive system, you end up constipated with stomach pangs and hording poo-poo in your GI tract causes toxins to flow back into your system. Assault vests made suspenders "passe" but you can't wear a assault vest to work!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#31]
To me for some reason, suspenders command a sense of power and respect
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Army Dress blues and dress mess uniforms have suspenders. They look pretty sharp. THey are the kind with buttons on the inside of the pants for the suspenders to attach to.

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Suspenders, or braces, are okay if they are worn with a tuxedo, or with a suit and tie regardless of whether you are overweight or not. Button or clasp attachment is fine. The color of the suspenders should match the color of the suit you are wearing.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#34]
And remember... suspenders OR belt.  Never both!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#35]
They call em 'galluses' too.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
When I was a little deej86 I wore suspenders...

you'll always be little deej86 to us
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top