BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/26/2005 6:13:40 PM EDT
New York School Safety Officer Mourned; Girl Charged
PATRICK GALLAHUE
The New York Post

More than a thousand police officers, relatives and friends gave an emotional and spirited farewell yesterday to a beloved school safety officer who died after being punched, allegedly by a 12-year-old girl.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg was among those to honor Vivian Samuels-Benjamin, 58, at her local Wayside Baptist Church in Bedford-Stuyvesant, where the devout woman was a volunteer usher.

"Going to school isn't something that all kids look forward to," Bloomberg said before Samuels-Benjamin's golden coffin as her family members tearfully embraced.

"But at least the kids at the Maggie Walker Middle School had it a bit easier than a lot of other schools, because every day . . . there was Vivian Samuels-Benjamin with a few words of wisdom or an early pick-me-up."

The funeral drew more than 1,500 police and school safety officers, many of whom could be seen wiping away tears.

The lifelong Brooklynite was remembered as a dedicated church member and loving mother of two boys and a deceased daughter. Her hearty sense of humor and generous spirit were also recounted, as was her habit of bringing fellow officers a sandwich and a slice of pie.

"It wasn't always easy," said Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.

"In her career safeguarding public schools, Vivian made several arrests, but more than anything, she made a great many friends."

In fact, colleagues said, it was because of Samuels-Benjamin's rapport with the students that she was called last Friday to handle the unruly 12-year-old, who allegedly punched the officer twice, causing an apparent heart attack.  Did she punch her in the sternum?

The girl has been charged with harassment, but is expected to face more serious charges.

When she wasn't helping kids work through problems - with her signature phrase, "Get your life right" - Samuels-Benjamin was listening to gospel music.

As her son gave the eulogy, the church erupted into gospel singing, clapping and even dancing.

"I did my crying, and I might cry a little more, but right now I want to feel the praise," said the son, Pastor Irving Benjamin Jr., as friends and relatives stood to cheers of "Praise to God."

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Poor Women

Time for fuck the kid over. S it wasent muder but I am sre they can get em on at least manslauter/assualt.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, the girl must be related to Squatdog.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok... the "girl" in question is Wonder Woman in disguise

or

the rent-a-cop was in such lousy shape that she shouldn't have been assigned to the job.

Sad thing to happen nonetheless.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow.  Talk about being beat up by a girl......
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#5]

That 12-year old girl is gonna fry I tells you....fry like delicious Canadian bacon.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That 12-year old girl is gonna fry I tells you....fry like delicious Canadian bacon.

ETA, Laughing at the bacon joke.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#7]
note to self: avoid getting punched by 12 year old girls

this is particularly distressing as I work as a schoolteacher...
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Umm errr
she should not have been any sort of officer if she was that frail
Just like all these 5ft0in 250 lb fatass female cops i see all around
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Wanted for questioning.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Does Squatdog have a 12 year old daughter?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
img166.exs.cx/img166/9770/cockknocker1ll.jpg

Wanted for questioning.

Please, don't drag Cock Knocker into this.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Probably manslaughter.  She will on the streets by the time she is 21.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Kids shouldnt be brought up by parents who let them act like this in the first place, but to play devil's advocate, if this girl triggered a heart attack by punching a police officer, then what about the crackheads who die from heart attacks when they get hit with a taser?  Should a 12 year old (not even a teenager) go to a juvenile lockup until 18 (or 21, depending on the state) for murder, or should the 12 year old find herself in a foster home iin rural NY state or someplace like boys town in Nebraska where she might learn to live like a human being?  I see the heart attack as more of an accident than a chargeable murder, anything can trigge a heart attack.  Maybe parents should be held liable?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Kids shouldnt be brought up by parents who let them act like this in the first place, but to play devil's advocate, if this girl triggered a heart attack by punching a police officer, then what about the crackheads who die from heart attacks when they get hit with a taser?  Should a 12 year old (not even a teenager) go to a juvenile lockup until 18 (or 21, depending on the state) for murder, or should the 12 year old find herself in a foster home iin rural NY state or someplace like boys town in Nebraska where she might learn to live like a human being?  I see the heart attack as more of an accident than a chargeable murder, anything can trigge a heart attack.  

Perhaps. But in this case it was a forceable assault & battery.  If you sucker punch someone and it kills him its not your fault?

Her criminal conduct caused another persons death.  This isnt even some vague causation like reckless driving causeing a car crash. this was a physical assault that resulted in death.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#15]
And I've seen a 10-year-old pitcher get killed by a line drive. Shit happens.

We all die, at least it sounds like she lived a good life.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#16]
A 12 y/o girl causes a man to die, well... he needs to be 6 feet under... Good God... cuz a heart attack? Too many donuts and cups of coffee...
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Man times have changed.  I would never have even CONSIDERED taking a swing at a cop, rented or otherwise, when I was twelve.  Everyone will make a big deal over why this kid should escape serious punishment.  That will only add to the piles of excuses, and encouragement, that led to this event.  

The worst part is the kid only punched her because she didn't have her gun that day, I bet.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#18]
So by the logic displayed in NY politics they should be calling an emergency session to chop the hands off of 12 year girls so this doesn't happen in the future ? Just wondering, but I need to tell them I have been punched by someone with a stump and it hurt alot more than a hand.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1

It had to have been a "power shot"....
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
A 12 y/o girl causes a man to die, well... he needs to be 6 feet under... Good God... cuz a heart attack? Too many donuts and cups of coffee...

It is not all that rare for a shot like that to screw up the rhythm of even a healthy heart.  None of the factors you ASSume are even required.  As tough as the human body can be it can also be incredibly fragile in the weirdest of circumstances.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#21]
In headlines this week,

Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Sen Chuck Schumer introduce bill to ban "the closed fist" in public.

They were heard saying "No sane person needs to posess a closed fist at any time, for any reason." "A closed fist is only used for violence. It has no other purpose."

This public safety measure is for the public safety and the children....

Seriously, Prayers to the officer and family. Needle for the kid, before she can kill again.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Man times have changed.  I would never have even CONSIDERED taking a swing at a cop, rented or otherwise, when I was twelve.  Everyone will make a big deal over why this kid should escape serious punishment.  That will only add to the piles of excuses, and encouragement, that led to this event.  

The worst part is the kid only punched her because she didn't have her gun that day, I bet.

+1
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I often wonder if some guys here even bother to read the story before posting their reply.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg was among those to honor Vivian Samuels-Benjamin, 58, at her local Wayside Baptist Church in Bedford-Stuyvesant, where the devout woman was a volunteer usher.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kids shouldnt be brought up by parents who let them act like this in the first place, but to play devil's advocate, if this girl triggered a heart attack by punching a police officer, then what about the crackheads who die from heart attacks when they get hit with a taser?  Should a 12 year old (not even a teenager) go to a juvenile lockup until 18 (or 21, depending on the state) for murder, or should the 12 year old find herself in a foster home iin rural NY state or someplace like boys town in Nebraska where she might learn to live like a human being?  I see the heart attack as more of an accident than a chargeable murder, anything can trigge a heart attack.  

Perhaps. But in this case it was a forceable assault & battery.  If you sucker punch someone and it kills him its not your fault?

Her criminal conduct caused another persons death.  This isnt even some vague causation like reckless driving causeing a car crash. this was a physical assault that resulted in death.

Were talking about a12 year old here, only 10 years older than a 2 year old, 6 years younger than the legal definition of an adult.  Still in elementary school unless the school system she is in has 6-8 grades in middle school (I had 7-9 in jr high), that is pretty young to label someone a murderer for life.  Im sure there is a documented case somewhere of a 6 year old throwing a spoonful or spagettios at a babysitter and killing her of a heart attack, would that be assault and battery too?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#25]
People of all ages die of heart attacks while playing sports, jogging, shoveling snow, and such.

And I can think of at least seven of my former co-workers that died of heart attacks in their forties or fifties while not doing anything strenuous (two died in their sleep).

My guess would be the officer probably had a heart problem anyway and the exertion of fighting with the kid prompted an attack.

Only an autopsy will show for sure.

Not making excuses for the kid, but at most this sounds like manslaughter.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
People of all ages die of heart attacks while playing sports, jogging, shoveling snow, and such.

Of course they do. But this isnt one of those cases. If the punch caused the heart attack is an assult resulting in death.  Not murder one, unless the defendant expressed some intent to kill her. But definately mansalughter even if her intent was only to injure but the injury proved fatal.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:06:48 AM EDT
[#27]
http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=18082
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:25:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:26:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:29:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

<ADD homer> mmmmmm, beacon, rrrrrrrghghhh

The kid deserves to get fucked (figuratively)
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:30:08 AM EDT
[#31]
BAN CHILDREN!! Do it for the chi...nevermind!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:55:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Some of you guys responses are absolutely unreal.  

You know...I bet you guys would talk some tough shit on the internet but in the real world wouldn't do shit.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:04:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Manslaughter.

Striking another person is no accident, and doing so and causing death, whether to kill was the intent or not, is manslaughter.

Kid was already causing a ruckus, too bad teachers aren't allowed to give em a swat to keep em in line. This is the result of a progressive/permissive society.

The estate of the decedent should sue the little darling's family into the stone age (whatever funds/income they have) - they created the little monster.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Striking another person is no accident, and doing so and causing death, whether to kill was the intent or not, is manslaughter.

Yep.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#35]
wow. You would think after kids are allowed to escape discipline so much and shit like this and Columbine and all happen, they would realize it was a failed experiment and start allowing kids to be disciplined again.

As for what should happen to the kid, I don't think manslaughter is a fitting charge. She is a 12 year old girl, I have been hit by plenty of girls in my life and never even got a bruise from it. I am sure this girl had no idea that this could happen. It is a sad situation all around
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I am sure this girl had no idea that this could happen.

Which is why its not first degree murder.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Manslaughter.

Kid was already causing a ruckus, too bad teachers aren't allowed to give em a swat to keep em in line. This is the result of a progressive/permissive society.

The estate of the decedent should sue the little darling's family into the stone age (whatever funds/income they have) - they created the little monster.

WTF!?

This cop should have been in bed at a hospital waiting for triple bypass.  Getting the hiccups could have killed her.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
while this brat obviously deserves some punishment for acting like an ass, i really don't think manslaughter charges should apply here. This cop could have just as easily died of a heart attack driving to church that night. i am sure the stress of dealing with the kid pushed her heart over the edge but i SERIOUSLY doubt the punch did it.

unless the kid is chuck norris's daughter that is.

Either way, that child's action contributed to the heart attack.  If a perp goes into a bank, pulls a pistol on the teller, demands money, and that teller dies of a heart attack, the perp gets charged with murder, even though a shot wasn't fired and no physical contact was made.  At least that's how it goes in Georgia.  

Punching someone in the chest can disrupt one's heart rate and can lead to a heart attack.  Some people are more prone to it than others.  Forgot the medical term for it.  

Anybody know how big this girl is?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Holy shit, remind me not to piss that chick off.

Preteen girls are scary as all fuck. Ever hear of Nevada-Tan?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Cop tasers someone, who has a heart attack and dies. Everyone says "tough shit."

Kid punches cop, cop has heart attack and dies. Everyone says "Manslaughter!"

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Cop tasers someone, who has a heart attack and dies. Everyone says "tough shit."

No kidding.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

Agreed.

12 years is old enough to know right from wrong!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:03:40 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I don't, if he was not justified in applying the force I'll be right here internet bitching with the rest

Yup, no justification for hitting the officer and that hitting resulted in her death.  But not for the actions of the girl she'd be alive (until she died on a stairmaster or running to the bathroom one day) today.  Fighting with her caused her untimely death.  Girl wasn't justified in fighting.  Girls fault.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Cops use tasers to effect an arrest.  Using a baton on a perp isn't kosher.  Chemical weapons don't work sometimes (I timed one perp that was pepper sprayed and it took 8 minutes to kick in.  He was swinging a beer bottle at myself and four other officers in a parking lot).  And Tasers tend to induce heart attacks on perps high on cocaine.  

If perps would just comply with law orders, they won't get clubbed, sprayed, shocked, and shot.  What's next?  Fuzzy, fur-lined handcuffs so that they don't feel discomfort while handcuffed?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I often wonder if some guys here even bother to read the story before posting their reply.

Nah, the poster was too busy taking a shit on the deceased to be bothered with trivial details.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Lawfull force Vs unlawfull assault & battery.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Umm errr
she should not have been any sort of officer if she was that frail
Just like all these 5ft0in 250 lb fatass female cops i see all around

Are you from northern virginia or DC???

On a serious note; its still asaulting a police officer at a minimum , and we all (pretty much) know this wont be the last time that this person goes to prison, hopefully she wont have to many kids along the way.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#48]
What if the cop dropped from chasing the girl?  What if  the officer drops while putting the girl in cuffs?

I find it hard to believe that a punch from a 12 year old girl had anything to do with the heart attack other than it happened roughly at the same time?  IT was definitely assault, but manslaughter?  

IF a punch was all it took to cause a heart attack, then the cop was not long for this world and would have died at the next altercation one way or another.  

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Some of you guys responses are absolutely unreal.  

You know...I bet you guys would talk some tough shit on the internet but in the real world wouldn't do shit.  

That's an easy thing to say online...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
IF a punch was all it took to cause a heart attack, then the cop was not long for this world and would have died at the next altercation one way or another.  

I think there is a certain point in the heartbeat (PQRST, someone help me out here) where any heart is vulnerable to impact - like a kid getting hit with a baseball in the chest & dying.

Either way, the kid should be sent to juvey Sing-Sing until her 21st.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top