Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 9:57:01 AM EDT
What type of steel is usually used for .22lr bolts?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#2]
any steel, really. You could probably make a bolt for a 22lr out of aluminum.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#3]
actually i think the bolts are made of the same steel as the rest  [or at least the majority of the rest ] of the gun, which would be 4140 [or 4130 or 4150] which is a chromium-molydenum type of carbon steel. the chromium lends a little corrosion resistance but can made an alloy a little brittle so the molybdenum makes it a little more workable and the carbon gives it it's hardness. i believe the weight of the bolt does play a part , seeing as it flys backwards against the spring pressure behind it when it's fired. heavier bolt equals weaker springs , whereas lighter bolt equals stronger springs. there's probably a scientific and/or mathamatical equasion behind the weight ratio and pressure of the round being fired. i know the barrels are hardened to an extent, somewhere's around the range of 28-36 rockwell "C" scale and i assume the bolt would be to, quite likely around the same range. with the steel being 4140 [ or thereabouts] it would be an oil hardened steel. hope this helps, it's been some time since my tool + die working days and heat treating days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top