Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 9:44:08 AM EDT
Some guys I fly with are life members, I thought I had to wait for my GWOT Expeditionary medal(just recieved) but didn't know HFP/IDP qualified me, which I have gotten for 5 months this year alone..

Any members here?  Besides cheap draft beers what else do you enjoy as a member?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#2]
what is the criteria on joing the VFW?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

My understanding is that if you're currently serving or have served in the past your membership is free, if not you have to pay.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My understanding is that if you're currently serving or have served in the past your membership is free, if not you have to pay.

I paid $55 for three years.  I didnt see anything about free memberships.  But you have to qualify for membership too.  You have to have recieved HFP/IDP or been awarded one of many expeditionary or campaign medals..
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#5]
When I was younger the one in my old hometown served bottled beers even to non-members at 95 cents for a miller lite, and seldom was an id asked for.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im a active duty combat vet, and I still pay.  I just renewed my membership with Post 352 in front of the PX, something like $20.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I was a member in 1993. I received my SW Asia medal for the last few months of Desert Storm. I wasn't real active in it though because I was still Active Duty. But, it was kinda cool being the only E-2 to ever become a member of that post.   Befor that the lowest rank to join was E-4. The only thing I didn't really like about it was that the older guys just wanted to show up and drink beer. I like beer, but I also wanted to help the community and other vets.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Get ready for the 20,000 raffle tickets you will be expected to sell.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Any members here?

Life Member

Besides cheap draft beers what else do you enjoy as a member?

Supporting an organization that honors and takes care of service members and their families.

Ensure veterans are provided all the care, entitlements and compensation that they have earned through their service and sacrifice in defense of our nation in a prompt and compassionate manner by the Department of Veterans Affairs and other concerned Departments and Agencies.

Ensure legislation is advanced in the Congress and signed into law that reflects the VFW's pro-veteran, pro-national defense and pro-America goals; and protect veterans from proposals detrimental to them and the nation.

Ensure employment opportunities for America's veterans are supported by lawmakers, the private sector and all concerned governmental entities through enhancement of veteran' preference legislation, training and education programs.

Ensure a firm foreign policy that guarantees our integrity as a nation, promotes our democratic ideals and interest abroad and seeks the fullest possible accounting of our comrades missing from all wars; and is backed by a strong military which provides for the well-being and quality of life for those men and women in uniform
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not unless its a VERY recent change.

ETA

That just dosent makes sense. The people that have served or are serving are the only ones allowed anyway. Unless its a spouse. Also it has to be wartime service and you had to have been in the overseas combat zone with some sort of proof to qualify.

For all other Veterans there is the American Legion.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the free year membership they were giving out to my brigade (81st, WA National Guard) at our departure ceremony.  I do need to get a new membership, as well as the American Legion. At the very least it's a numbers game when they go to Congress about getting more veterans rights/priveledges.  The larger their numbers, the larger the potential voter base.  It's the reason the AARP is such a strong lobbyist group.  Large numbers, and they tend to vote the same on many issues.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not unless its a VERY recent change.

ETA

That just dosent makes sense. The people that have served or are serving are the only ones allowed anyway. Unless its a spouse. Also it has to be wartime service and you had to have been in the overseas combat zone with some sort of proof to qualify.

For all other Veterans there is the American Legion.

Saying I was misinformed would be a gross understatement.......
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Hell... They offered me membership by mail and I could not understand it since I never served anywhere over seas or even active duty during my 8 years. I don't deserve to be member. They guys who earned it do.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I qualify due to the MCEM that was awarded for serving in the Med in 1995.

Haven't joined yet.

Still need to join the DAV....
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Life member...
Post 6954 Littlestown, Pennsylvania  My hometown and the VFW my Grandfather was a Life member at.  
~Dg84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top