Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 9:17:59 AM EDT
What ever happened to the .50 home built rifle manufacturer who the feds busted for selling rifle kits you could complete in your own home?
I remember his case went before the 9th circuit,but cannot find anything about it now.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#2]
No,The guy i am talking about hired a lawyer,and supposedly won a ruling in the 9th circuit .
The ruling had something to do with the feds not having jurisdiction because the guy did not violate the Interstate Commerce clause which would give the federal government jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No,The guy i am talking about hired a lawyer,and supposedly won a ruling in the 9th circuit .
The ruling had something to do with the feds not having jurisdiction because the guy did not violate the Interstate Commerce clause which would give the federal government jurisdiction.

I think you're merging the details of two different cases.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:57:12 AM EDT
[#4]
wasn't this the case that was sent back down to the 9th due to the Raich ruling?  but i think it was an automatic machine gun owned by a felon, not a .50 cal.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#5]
That may be the case.he was investigated because of manufacturing and selling 80% complete rifle kits,but was arrested and charged with posession of illegal machineguns.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That may be the case.he was investigated because of manufacturing and selling 80% complete rifle kits,but was arrested and charged with posession of illegal machineguns.

SOCOM Manufacturing? He pled guilty to some lesser charge.

It sounds like you are mixing three cases now.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes,The bob stewart case.i could not remember his name.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You talking about Bob Stewart? The machine gun conviction was the original felony rap. Then when he started selling Maadi-Griffins he was charged with felon in possession of a firearm, though they were incomplete kits.

That who you're asking about?

Actually, there was a kit ordered on a Judge involved in his prison time as well, wasn't there?

If that's the case, the guy is a scumbag.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#10]
This is the most confusing thread evar.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Maddi Griffin? or something like that was the company right?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you're merging the details of two different cases.

No, he's not...

The guy in question is Bob Stewart...

ATF tried to get him on manufacturing firearms without a license, then switched the charge to a NFA violation when that wouldn't stick... He got convicted under questionable circumstances & appealed...

Said individual WON in court, got the charge that put him in jail thrown out...

THE PROBLEM IS THAT MR DUMBASS, WHILE IN PRISON, TRIED TO GET A HIT PUT OUT ON THE JUDGE WHO SENTANCED HIM!!!!!

So, had he been a good little prisoner & waited for his appeal, he'd be a free man now, probably selling Maadi kits again... But he had to go and try to off a Fed judge, and now he's going on trial for a crime he WON'T get overturned (attempted murder for hire)....
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#13]
http://www.sierratimes.com/03/11/14/ap_bobstewart.htm  
Bob Stewart: Appeals court overturns machine gun conviction
Associated Press  

SAN FRANCISCO - A federal appeals court Thursday overturned a Mesa man's federal conviction of possessing five machine guns.
A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals of San Francisco reversed the conviction, ruling that the congressional ban does not apply to homemade machine guns and their parts because they were never in the stream of commerce.

The court ruled that there was neither a transfer nor sale of the weapons or their parts, so Congress did not have the power under the Commerce Clause to regulate homemade guns crafted from scratch.

Robert Stewart was sentenced to five years imprisonment for being a felon in possession of firearms and of possessing illegal machine guns last year.

His attorney, Thomas Haney of Phoenix, said the decision doesn't mean much for his client or for the gun movement. Few people have the skills to build a weapon from scratch, as Stewart did, Haney said.

Haney said most states, including Arizona, also have state bans against rapidly firing machine guns that would withstand judicial scrutiny regardless of whether the weapon was homemade. "It might not be viable for anyone to think they can start making their own," Haney said.

Stewart, meanwhile, faces about a 20-year sentence next week after being convicted this summer of soliciting a fellow prisoner at the Federal Correctional Institution in Phoenix to kill U.S. District Judge Roslyn Silver, the judge who last year sentenced him to five years on the weapons violations.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I would bet he was setup on the hitman charges.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top