Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2001 5:15:09 PM EDT
Has anyone seen this yet?

[url]www.miramax.com/apocalypsenow/[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/tylerdurden1201%2Fhasflash%2Ejpg[/img]

I wish I could go to a theater to see it again!!

Tyler
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I Must see this "Redux"
Any word on a Phoenix Theater...
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Let's see:  A totally unrealistic view of 'Nam made by a bunch of anti-gun fanatics.  I don't think I will bother.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it was one of the best movies ever made. I'd easily put it in the top 10 best films of all time.

Link Posted: 8/4/2001 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Aw come on Larry, it's cool even if that stupid commie Martin Sheen is in it.  Col. Kilgore is one of the all-time classic characters, and the "napalm in the morning" line is one of the all-time classic lines.

How about Chef?  "Never get outta the fucking boat!"

If only the new version edited out Brando it would be a masterpiece.  I can't wait to see it anyway.

Edited for stoopid typo.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 2:55:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 2:57:37 AM EDT
[#6]
It is an adaptation of literature, set in Vietnam.  It's not supposed to be a movie about Vietnam.  It is an incredibly heaaaaavy movie.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:12:45 AM EDT
[#7]
The added footage is not necessarily going to make the movie any better.  Good editing is every bit as important as good directing, a good script, and good acting in producing a final product that is worth watching.  Most of what ends on the cutting room floor belongs there.  There are a few exceptions (the original theatrical cut of "Once Upon a Time in America", for example), but from what I've seen of the restored footage "Apocalypse" isn't one of them.
The movie is an adaptation of "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad, a story originally set in Africa and that was a commentary on European colonialism.  Brando's performance was quirky, but remember that his character was supposed to be "mad."  Would it have been an improvement if he had played the role more as John Wayne might have?
In any case, I've found that those who don't appreciate his performance, but do get an erection over the Col. Kilgore character, are better served by watching the "Missing in Action" series with Chuck Norris or Stallone's "Rambo" movies.  Those movies aren't any more realistic, but then the Kilgore-loving viewer is at least admiring a character who is MEANT to be admired.  If you actually pay attention to the sequence concerning Kilgore, including Sheen's voice over, the message is that Kilgore is a swaggering fool who will get lots of people killed, although he has "that glow around him" and will probably never be injured himself.  That image is further reinforced during the "Charlie don't surf" sequence.  Remember, "Apocalypse" isn't an action/combat movie, even though there are scenes of spectacular violence.
"Apocalypse Now" was a brilliant, but flawed, movie.  IMO, the added footage will magnify the flaws more than the brilliance.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's see:  A totally unrealistic view of 'Nam made by a bunch of anti-gun fanatics.  I don't think I will bother.
View Quote
                                                           Unrealistic is an understatement, you are right on the mark LARRYG.
View Quote

Sorry Gents,but after seeing this movie when it debut...I bought my first AR. A Colt SP1 !!!

BTW : John Milius is VERY pro gun

Edited because I knew I had misspelled "Milius"
Oh and did I state he is [b]VERY PRO GUN[/B]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I hope thise quote makes it into the new version (it was cut from the original):

"When you kill Cong, don't you feel something ?" ( Chef )

"Sure. Recoil... I feel the recoil of my rifle." ( Captain Willard )

Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I think that Apocalypse Now is an excellent film. I also have the book “Heart of Darkness” and it in itself is a good book. If you are a big fan of the movie, go to your local video store and look for “Hearts Of Darkness” on video. It is not about the book, but it is a 2-hour documentary on the making of Apocalypse Now – it is very interesting (and sometimes funny as well).

Tyler
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Totally wrong about the anti-gun fanatics.  The screenplay was written by John Milius -- the guy who made Red Dawn.  Remember the discussions about the 4473's and the "Cold Dead Hands" bumper sticker. He was an NRA board member.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
                                                           Unrealistic is an understatement, you are right on the mark LARRYG.
View Quote

It's a fictional story. The point of the movie wasn't to recreate actual historical events.

Suspended disbelief, try it some time, you'll enjoy fictional movies a little more.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Totally wrong about the anti-gun fanatics.  The screenplay was written by John Milius -- the guy who made Red Dawn.  Remember the discussions about the 4473's and the "Cold Dead Hands" bumper sticker. He was an NRA board member.
View Quote
I was referring more to Sheen, Hopper,Duvall, and others, so I am not 'totally wrong'.

Quoted:
In any case, I've found that those who don't appreciate his performance, but do get an erection over the Col. Kilgore character, are better served by watching the "Missing in Action" series with Chuck Norris or Stallone's "Rambo" movies
View Quote

Ahh, Stallone.  Another draft dodging, anti-gun puke.

Quoted:
It's a fictional story. The point of the movie wasn't to recreate actual historical events.

Suspended disbelief, try it some time, you'll enjoy fictional movies a little more
View Quote

It sure created a false image of those who fought for their country over there and many believed it.  They did not think is was fiction and I resent the impression it gave of vets.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Where was the story about Brando not doing any homework (script/book that was sent to him in advance), showing up late, etc.

To me, Brando is an overrated couch potato.  I would have rather seen someone like Rutger Hauer or Chritopher Walken in his role.

In the scene where the AirCav is going into the village, did not the AF drop napalm on the chopper that had just gone down in the trees?
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Suspended disbelief, try it some time, you'll enjoy fictional movies a little more
View Quote

"It sure created a false image of those who fought for their country over there and many believed it.  They did not think is was fiction and I resent the impression it gave of vets." qouted by LARRYG

Excuse me , but Oliver Stoner gives our vet's a black eye with crap such as [b]Platoon[/b]

Stone is a [puke] and has his head so far up Hollywood. [-!-]'em

Just my 2 pennies...
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds to me as though some of you are looking too much at the actors themselves and not the characters they portray or the film itself.

I [b]do[/b] know some Vietnam veterans who say that they were in places (in Vietnam) where things were very much like certain scenes in Apocalypse Now. Martin Sheen is a little bastard, but IMO his character and acting were great. Also remember that his character was assigned to SOG, and if there were any "unbelievable" or surrealistic events during the war, those men were the ones most likely to see it.

Tyler
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#17]
It was a great movie, full of memorable images, sometimes because of the intentional surrealism.
Easily on my top ten list.

Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#19]
 IMHO, still the best 'Nam flick ever made. I liked Platoon, but Apocalypse Now blows it out of the water. FMJ was good, but turned "Hollywood" towards the end. The only problem I have with this film, is that they used F-5 Freedom Fighters to drop the napalm during the "Kilgore scene". The U.S only used one squadron of F-5's for "evaluation purposes" during '66-67, then were withdrawn. The movie takes place later than that-'70,'71?
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds to me as though some of you are looking too much at the actors themselves and not the characters they portray or the film itself.

This VN vet who served 19 mos.1/503d/173d Abn. 5 May 65- 19 Dec 66 , is telling you that this movie along with Platoon, the Deer Hunter and all the others that have been released is Bullshit! If you want to enjoy and believe this crap thats up to you but don't try to pawn it off as fact. These movies dis respect Vn vets and the sacrifices that we all made.  Gene

View Quote

Sir,

I [beer] you.

I was born Nov. '54. And yet to young to go "over there".

However, I will never forget the emotions I felt April '75 watching the News Channels that evening. I ? God. Why not me (should have been born a few years earlier/ and yet I was blessed to not have to go & endure "that Experience")

I can not forget...Will not forget.PERIOD

GOD BLESS!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#21]
It's just a fricken movie based on a work of fiction, not a history lesson.  You guys need to relax and take it for what it is, just a bunch of guys pretend playing for money.  Besides, anyone who would actually base history on fictional movies is a moron not worth educating.  So far as the actors, who cares?  They're anti-gun?  Good, I could care less?  Their carrying an M-16 in a war movie, their not making a movie about their personal views on firearms.  F*ck'm and enjoy the movie, or not.  Either way, in the end, it's just a movie.
Make an issue out of it and it [i]becomes[/i] an issue, for their stupid views..
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I love the smell of residual checks in the morning. It smells like more MONEY!!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This VN vet who served 19 mos.1/503d/173d Abn. 5 May 65- 19 Dec 66 , is telling you that this movie along with Platoon, the Deer Hunter and all the others that have been released is Bullshit! If you want to enjoy and believe this crap thats up to you but don't try to pawn it off as fact. These movies dis respect Vn vets and the sacrifices that we all made.  Gene

View Quote

I meant NO disrespect to ANY of the veterans. I guess that the two VN Veterans who I personally know had somewhat different experiences than yours Gene. I respect you for being Veteran if that war, and I respect your opinion. I respect other veteran's opinions of that war as well - even if they differ. I DID NOT try to "pawn" any of these movies as being factual. My exact statement was that I know some Vietnam veterans who said that they were in places (in Vietnam) where things were very much like certain scenes in Apocalypse Now. Do not try to twist my words.

Tyler
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I wasn't there.  But I would be willing to bet that the movie that most accurately portrays the Vietnam grunt experience is "American Grafitti II."  Anyone remember that one?
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been forced to endure viewing many films portraying the Vietnam War [moon]...  [b]Apocolypse Now[/b] is the only one that I found interesting enough to stay awake through.  As for the movie being realistic, I hadn't realized that it was intended to be.  I thought that it was based on a novel that wasn't even set in the war?  And, after all, isn't this just a movie?  Isn't the main purpose of a movie to entertain?!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top