Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 8:27:22 AM EDT
What changes parking to the greeenish color that is sometimes seen in WW2 guns? I know that it was not that color originally. I tend to remember that motor oil would do that or was it some other lubricant?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#1]
When I got my #4 MK1, it had been "sporterized", with the stock cut off, and refinished. Before I did a little restoration to it, it had a sort of greenish color to the barrel and reciever around the stock. Maybe its from linseed oil, or another wood-care product?

ETA- Is "Parking" the proper term, like "Blueing" for "Blued" guns? Not being a grammar Nazi, Just curious. You may get a better response with "Turning Parkerization Green". I was a little confused by the title myself.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, according to some sources, it's due to the Park formula being weak when the weapon was dipped.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Coat your parts in cosmoline, wrap them up in one of those gun storage bags, stick the bag up in your attic and leave it for a year.

Never tryed it but it's been advocated on Culver's Shooting Page.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Look around over at jouster.com, the "green" parkerizing is a process of the original park reacting with oils and such over time..  Parkerizing is usually one of two types, manganese phosphate which is charcoal black and zinc phosphate which is varying shades of gray and "thinner" in depth..  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I've also read that coating in cosmoline directly after parkerizing (and still hot) can get the "aged" green park look quickly.  Never tried it myself.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. Heard you could use 90 wt gear oil, motor oil, cosmoline, and several other things but never found anything definative on what works best or at all.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Pretty sure the standard answer is long term storage in cosmoline creates the faint green tint to the parkerization
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#8]
While age and oil affect the color, so does the original formulation of the park solution.

There used to be an outfit in the Arlington, TX (greater Dallas) area, Lone Star Ordnance.  I have been told they are trying to reopen.  Anyway, years ago I purchased a lot of small AR and other parts from them.

They specialized in refinishing M1 Garands, M1 .30 Cal Carbines, 1911's, etc.  They had done research and experimentation with solutions, and would duplicate the color or shade of parkerizing that came from each of the manufacturers.

Back to the oil... a great part of parkerizing's corrosion protection comes from the porous surface formed by the chemical reaction.  This surface holds oil like a sponge.  It is this ability to hold oil that helps in protecting from corrosion.

Anyone who has degreased a parkerized firearm has seen the change in color that results.  Ditto, burning the oil off the barrel by rapid fire.

So, it is partly the oil, partly formulation of the park solution.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#9]
A noted gunsmith I know used Havolne motor oil because of the green color. Applied it after taking it out of the park tank. They have since changed the color of the oil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top