Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2005 5:14:44 AM EDT
Hey guys.  I have a Olympus 3.2MP digital camera that I bought about 3 years ago.  I find that I don't use it very often because of it's bulky size.  What are my options in the 300 dollar range that is compact enough to put in my pocket.  Below is what I have

Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:36:47 AM EDT
[#1]
look at the Elf camera.   I had one several years ago, im still kicking myself for selling it.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:38:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Nikon coolpix 5600.  It's 5.1 megapixels and fits easily in my front pocket.

Nikon Coolpix 5600

ETA: The above photo is bigger than the actual camera is. Dimension (W x H x D): Approx. 3.3 x 2.4 x 1.4 in. (85 x 60 x 35mm)
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:18:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Access the website dpreview.com

It is the best digitial photography site on the web.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I just bought a Olympus Stylus 600. One of the big reason I choose it is because it is a all weather camera. Meaning it is sealed.

I got it at bestbuy on sale for $270.00

www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082906oly_stylus600.asp
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#5]
This advice is free..................but, da-da-damn, it so fucking valuable:

GOOGLE your ass off to each major camera manufacturer.

Only look at cameras that meet your requirements in size, megapixel, and optical zoom magnification.

3.X and above Megapixel in a pocket camera is easy to find and relatively inexpensive.
BUT, optical zoom is where it's at and to find something above 3.X magnification is so very hard to do.  Canon has one with a 4.0 optical zoom but it is on the larger side of "pocket".

Dave S

Stay with the big-dog brands and get all the optical zoom you can.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:44:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got the Casio EX-S500 from bhphoto.com.....it is sweet....be sure to get an UltraII or ExtremeIII flash card for whatever camera you get...
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:48:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:49:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#9]
My advice is to get a digital camera that you will use, one that you will take with you.  My Canon S230 is about the size of a pack of cigarettes so I talk it with me everywhere.  The camera I had before it was just a little too big to fit into my pocket, so I always left it at home and missed the best pictures.

I'm thinking about upgrading my S230, there are a bunch of better models out now, take a look at the SD line: http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=113
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Check out the Canon SD400.  5.1MP, point and shoot, and fits right in your pocket.  It's a tiny little thing, and takes pretty good pics.

I just purchased the SD400 and its a great camera. I use it for sport shots as awell general stuff. took pic of some old photos that came out real good. cost 300U$ at Best Buy. Also will fit in shirt pocket.

picture of a picture:

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I would love to have an SLR, but remember this:

The camera that takes the BEST pictures is the one that you have with you!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I think I'm going to go with this.  What do you think?

Casio Exilim Z750
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#13]

I can attest, www.dpreview.com is the best digital camera research site. I did a bunch of research and finally bought the Canon A610. Reasonably priced, 5MP with plenty of features. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:06:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:07:38 AM EDT
[#15]
The advice to go to Dpreview.com is good advice.  I have a lot of digital cam experience and have done a lot of research.  I have the same requirements as you as I find that unless it's very very small, I won't have it with me.  Much like a carry gun.

I had a nikon coolpix 2100 and really liked it but it was on the slightly larger size.  It was a good camera but it's photos are all slightly blue cast and the images were noisy.

I just recently tried to replace it.  I originally got the Pentax OptioS5i.  I took it to Cancun on vacation and it took great pictures.  It had a good battery life and was very small.  After I got back from the trip the focusing mechanism went weird and I took it back. They were out of them so I decided to get a Panasonic with the Leica lens, it was called a LUMIX.

That camera SUCKED ASS.   I am a HUGE panasonic fan and I try to get panasonic stuff wherever I can because I find that it's built to a very high quality standard.  Well it was build to a high standard and the pictures were AWESOME but it had only an 80 shot battery?!?!.  That's like having an AR with a 5 shot fixed magazine.  It was stupid.  So i took it back after a few days and started doing some research.

I friend recommended the casio eXilim 7.2MP and i looked into it. It good good reviews so I went and looked at it and wound up buying it.

I absolutely love this camera.  It's clear and sharp and the most important thing,  it has a very very low shutter lag time.  All digital cameras  have a fairly long lag time and this one is very low.  it also has a HUGE battery capacity.  I can literally take 400+ shots with this camera.  I am using it now and haven't charged it in two-three weeks and it's still "Green" on the battery indicator.  It's huge.  I love this cause this means I can go on a week long work trip and not even bring the charger.

This camera also has several really really cool modes  like past video.  This is a mode that shoots video  but is always buffering 5 seconds of video.  What this means is that when I push "record"  it starts the recording 5 seconds in the past.  I use this a lot when at my kids ball games,  I keep it pointed at them,  and then wait till they hit. If they don't hit the ball I never push the button. If they do hit it,  I push the button and the hit gets recorded even though I pushed it after the hit actually happened.

I paired this with a 2GB SD card and can take over an hour of video and 800 some shots at normal quality and 350 plus at 7.2mp high quality.  The camera is tiny and when in my pocket or in it's case,  you won't notice it at all,  it's very very small.   The optical zoom is only 3x and like someone else said,  you optimally want as high as you can get on optical zoom.  You can compensate with this by getting as high of megapixels as you can so you can crop to your desired frame.  At  7.2MP I can take very distant stuff and still crop zoom in on it.

I highly recommend the casio for all the above reasons.

The other camera I've used extensively is the Canon digital elph and I think you would be also very very happy with one of those. They have probably the best image quality out of the   box and lots of modes. They don't have as many as the casio but it has everything you'd need.  What impressed me in the digital elph is the case. It feels very solid and well built.  If there is anything wrong with the casio it's that it feels slightly "flexy".  When the lens shuts,  the lcd distorts a little and when you squeeze the camera you can feel the large flat sides deflect a little bit.

Do your research and feel each of them and get the one you like the best but take a close look at the casio exilim, it's awesome.

EDITED to ADD:  I just saw your post and that's my camera and  you will love it if you get it.  Get a 2GB SD card from Dell when they are on sale and a good small case and you are set.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:11:22 AM EDT
[#16]
We bought this model Pentax at Costco here in WA for $199 a month or so ago.

It's a fantastic camera 6.0 Mega-Pixels.

camera tech info here
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:20:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The advice to go to Dpreview.com is good advice.  I have a lot of digital cam experience and have done a lot of research.  I have the same requirements as you as I find that unless it's very very small, I won't have it with me.  Much like a carry gun.

I had a nikon coolpix 2100 and really liked it but it was on the slightly larger size.  It was a good camera but it's photos are all slightly blue cast and the images were noisy.

I just recently tried to replace it.  I originally got the Pentax OptioS5i.  I took it to Cancun on vacation and it took great pictures.  It had a good battery life and was very small.  After I got back from the trip the focusing mechanism went weird and I took it back. They were out of them so I decided to get a Panasonic with the Leica lens, it was called a LUMIX.

That camera SUCKED ASS.   I am a HUGE panasonic fan and I try to get panasonic stuff wherever I can because I find that it's built to a very high quality standard.  Well it was build to a high standard and the pictures were AWESOME but it had only an 80 shot battery?!?!.  That's like having an AR with a 5 shot fixed magazine.  It was stupid.  So i took it back after a few days and started doing some research.

I friend recommended the casio eXilim 7.2MP and i looked into it. It good good reviews so I went and looked at it and wound up buying it.

I absolutely love this camera.  It's clear and sharp and the most important thing,  it has a very very low shutter lag time.  All digital cameras  have a fairly long lag time and this one is very low.  it also has a HUGE battery capacity.  I can literally take 400+ shots with this camera.  I am using it now and haven't charged it in two-three weeks and it's still "Green" on the battery indicator.  It's huge.  I love this cause this means I can go on a week long work trip and not even bring the charger.

This camera also has several really really cool modes  like past video.  This is a mode that shoots video  but is always buffering 5 seconds of video.  What this means is that when I push "record"  it starts the recording 5 seconds in the past.  I use this a lot when at my kids ball games,  I keep it pointed at them,  and then wait till they hit. If they don't hit the ball I never push the button. If they do hit it,  I push the button and the hit gets recorded even though I pushed it after the hit actually happened.

I paired this with a 2GB SD card and can take over an hour of video and 800 some shots at normal quality and 350 plus at 7.2mp high quality.  The camera is tiny and when in my pocket or in it's case,  you won't notice it at all,  it's very very small.   The optical zoom is only 3x and like someone else said,  you optimally want as high as you can get on optical zoom.  You can compensate with this by getting as high of megapixels as you can so you can crop to your desired frame.  At  7.2MP I can take very distant stuff and still crop zoom in on it.

The other camera I've used extensively is the Canon digital elph and I think you would be also very very happy with one of those. They have probably the best image quality out of the   box and lots of modes. They don't have as many as the casio but it has everything you'd need.  What impressed me in the digital elph is the case. It feels very solid and well built.  If there is anything wrong with the casio it's that it feels slightly "flexy".  When the lens shuts,  the lcd distorts a little and when you squeeze the camera you can feel the large flat sides deflect a little bit.

Do your research and feel each of them and get the one you like the best but take a close look at the casio exilim, it's awesome.

EDITED to ADD:  I just saw your post and that's my camera and  you will love it if you get it.  Get a 2GB SD card from Dell when they are on sale and a good small case and you are set.

One of my wife's coworkers just got one of these.....since I'm a photographer they felt compelled to bend my ear about it at a Christmas party. I must say that it's a pretty cool little camera.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:29:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:04:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

did someone say long lag time?  check out the airborne monkey in front of the camo'd kid (Jared) pic was snapped when the monkey was launched!

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#20]
nikon or canon
canon or nikon
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Go with Cannon, stay away from the "cheaper" style cameras, you couldn't give me a casio.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Tagged.  

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#23]
All above seem like excellent suggestions. Mine is the Canon A95. It is a lil big for a shirt
pocket, but will fit into a coat pocket easily. Besides Canon's good rep, one thing I
really like about the A95 is the fact the LCD panel will swing out and you can turn it
almost 270*. So if you had to reach for the sky to take a pic over someone, you can
swivel the LCD at almost any angle to make sure you're
getting the shot. I feel that's a big plus. Here's a review..>
www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona95/

Pricegrabber shows some companys that list them for 325 +- avg +S/H.
I can certainly understand about having a camera that is burdensome though, and
thats where the smaller lightweights really are nice as pointed out.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#24]
"Sony Cybershot" is the only thing you need to remember when buying a new digital camera.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#25]
tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top