Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 4:12:52 AM EDT
Dont ask because I dont know but it's the National shopping day in Canada!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:32:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been told Boxing day is when everyone takes what they didn't like for Christmas, and "box" it back up to take back to the store.

They'll be a lot of Canadians going to the malls in Buffalo and Niagara Falls today.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:33:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#3]
archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=6&t=385

This is the answer I got from Striker when I asked about boxing day, in the Canada hometown forum.

Boxing Day originated in England in the middle of the nineteenth century under Queen Victoria. December 26th became a holiday as boxes were filled with gifts and money for servants and tradespeople.

Also, poor people carried empty boxes from door to door, and the boxes were soon filled with food, Christmas sweets, and money. Parents gave their children small gifts such as, oranges, handkerchiefs, and socks. People also placed old clothing that they didn't need anymore in boxes, and they were given to those in need.

Today, Boxing Day is a holiday in the United Kingdom, Canada, and many other Commonwealth nations. It is spent with family and friends at open gatherings with lots of food, fun, and the sharing of friendship and love.

While government buildings and small businesses are closed, the malls are filled with people either exchanging gifts or buying reduced priced Christmas gifts, cards, and decorations.

Throughout the Christmas season, many organizations follow the original tradition of Boxing Day by donating their time, energy, and money to fill the Food Bank, provide gifts for children who live in poverty, or to help an individual family who is in great need at the time.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top