Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/25/2005 6:21:17 PM EDT
I'm on my way to the airport today (10AM) to catch a plane to visit my parents. I'm running a little late, so I'm doing a little faster than I should. I get radared and pulled over for doing 65mph in a 55mph. According to Texas law I immediately provide the Trooper with my CHL card and notify him that my handgun is in my glovebox. He instructs me to get out of the car and he starts asking me some questions like: "What kind of gun do you have?"..... "Do you have any other weapons in the car?" Then he asks me where I'm heading. So I tell him I'm heading to the airport to catch a plane to visit my parents. Then he starts to really freakout. Here's how the conversation went:

Cop: "You're going to the airport and you have a gun????????".

Me: " Well....I'm parking my car at the ariport and I won't be taking the gun in the airport with me. The gun will remain in my car".

Cop: "You can't take a gun onto airport property!!! What the hell are you thinking????"

Me: "To my knowledge there are no laws that prevent me from having a gun in my car at the airport while my car is parked."

Cop: "If you got caught with a gun in your car at the airport, how would you explain that? Are you telling me that you were going to park you car at the airport and leave your gun in it??????"

(I'm starting to see that it's a no win with this guy.)

Me:  "Yes actually I was. How bout this? My Girlfriend lives on the way to the airport. How bout if I drop the gun off at her house on the way. Would that be ok?"

Cop: "OK that'll work."

Cop gives me ticket for 5MPH over and I'm on my way.

Did I miss something, or are there laws that prevent me from having a gun in my car on airport property?

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#1]
At least tell me you didn't drop the gun off at your girlfriend's house knowing full-well you were right.

ETA: Of course you can have a gun on airport property!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Good thing you did not tell him you were going to take it with you on the plane (in checked luggage), or were meeting friend at baggage claim and were going to be wearing it into the airport.

Unless that airport had some kind of special rules I have never heard of, you were OK. The wisdom of leaving a gun in a car (even if locked in trunk) is debatable though, I would not do it (again) since I have already had one stolen. Live and learn.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]
So how is it okay that we can check firearms onto airlines then?

The airlines say its okay.  TSA (gasp) even says its okay.

I guess the guns somehow get into checked baggage.  Maybe Scotty beams them up.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
At least tell me you didn't drop the gun off at your girlfriend's house knowing full-well you were right.

That was just a story to shut the guy up. I went straight to the airport.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont know about Texas but it's legal up to the doors in Florida.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So how is it okay that we can check firearms onto airlines then?

The airlines say its okay.  TSA (gasp) even says its okay.

I guess the guns somehow get into checked baggage.  Maybe Scotty beams them up.

really, whats up with that? I dont think that oficer knows what the heck is going on.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was just a story to shut the guy up. I went straight to the airport.

Quick thinking. 5 MPH over is bogus.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Good thing you did not tell him you were going to take it with you on the plane (in checked luggage), or were meeting friend at baggage claim and were going to be wearing it into the airport.

Unless that airport had some kind of special rules I have never heard of, you were OK. The wisdom of leaving a gun in a car (even if locked in trunk) is debatable though, I would not do it (again) since I have already had one stolen. Live and learn.

I've kept a gun in my glovebox for 27 straight years, and I've never had my car broken into or a gun stolen.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#10]
You have his name and you should file a complaint at the department.
Its remarkable how the people who enforce the law dont know it
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Given how often cars in the lots at airports get broken into, its not a wise thing to leave a gun attended in a car for a long time.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Most cops aren't very smart.

They're soccer moms in disguise.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I dont know about Texas but it's legal up to the doors in Florida.

It's perfectly legal to carry, loaded and ready to go, ON YOUR PERSON into the non-"secure" area of an airport in Texas.  Stay on the non-flyers' side of the metal detector, and you're fine.

Unless they post proper signage.  Then you can't carry on your person.  I assume bringing it in your baggage, unloaded would be okay in this instance.

It used to be that way in Florida and I have carried in an airport but State law has changed. It's posted right on the doors now.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Dude, you're in Texas...I thought you could carry a gun on a plane...or at least Barry Switzer thought so...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Given how often cars in the lots at airports get broken into, its not a wise thing to leave a gun attended in a car for a long time.

Don't you mean unattended? Or are you speaking about yourself?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've kept a gun in my glovebox for 27 straight years, and I've never had my car broken into or a gun stolen.

Too funny. The ONLY time in 30 years my car was broken into, was during a 4 hour period when I had Glock 19 in trunk, unattended. Had never left gun unattended before or after. And no, I have no NRA stickers or put it there when someone could see me. Just bad luck.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It's not a wise thing to be unarmed either.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I recently had my son drop me off at the airport terminal to catch a ground shuttle to another city. In an OD tactical bag over my shoulder was my Colt A3 AR15 with several loaded mags. On my ankle was a Glock 26. I was stuck there for a couple hours and visited the food court and generally made myself at home. I made a point of not walking toward the TSA checkpoint. I was wearing a sport coat and tie so I probably didn't fit a profile that would draw attention.

It had crossed my mind that an LEO might stop me and ask what was in the bag (it was pretty obvious), but no one did.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Sterile Area = No Guns

Is the parking lot a sterile area?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Driving to the airport unarmed is, what, a few minutes travel time? Versus leaving a  gun unattended in a car in an airport parking lot for days or weeks?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Driving to the airport unarmed is, what, a few minutes travel time? Versus leaving a  gun unattended in a car in an airport parking lot for days or weeks?

Will you protect all of us for those "few" minutes??
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Officer's name is on the ticket.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Will you protect all of us for those "few" minutes??

You have to weigh the odds of something happening en route to the airport versus the risk of leaving the gun in te car and expose it to the hazard of theft. While I generally carry every day, in that situation I'd be leaving the gun at home.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I sincerely hope you got the idiots badge number so that you can follow up and inform him of the truth! I hate fuckers who make shit up as they go along!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#27]
The real question is are you going to fight the ticket.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=421051&page=1
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Hell, I was picking a friend up from the airport one afternoon - I had spent the morning shooting at the range, and then stopped off at BassPro to pick up some ammo when they had a big sale.  I was carrying two AR15's and 2000 rounds of ammo that day.    I just didn't really think anything of it.  Of course, I didnt leave my car, just drove by the terminal, and picked up by friend.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#29]
When an officer asks you "Where are you going?"

The proper answer is to point down the road and say "That way?"

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#31]
there are a million BS laws out there, especially with firearms it's like a friggin maze

little imaginary lines exist everywhere that make people go from being "innocent bystander" to "dangerous felon" in the eyes of the law.  Cops can not be expected to know each and every law in every micro-jurisdiction.

It was a nightmare when I worked as a compliance agent, generally though if a cop can't actually cite a law or ordinance then there is a 50/50 chance he is misinformed.  That's what the big book O' laws is for ;-)
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

"On my law abiding way, occifer!"
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#33]
>I'd be leaving the gun at home.

Why not just take your gun with ya?

Depending upon my destination, I typically take mine along.
So far so good, never had any probs taking a glock along.

And I've been into the airport armed virtually everytime I've
picked someone up here in Texas.

Also, I find it odd you found the one cop in Texas that
thinks it is against the law to carry at the airport.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Officer's name is on the ticket.

exactamundo....you need to catch stuff like this before the idiot actually tries to arrest somebody for something that isnt a crime.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#35]
On further reflection, I wonder if a cop can be charged with practicing
law without a license?

Someone very, very close to me is on the state board that pursues
this issue.   I will ask her.  Would be funny as heck, huh?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=421550
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Shortly after 9-11 I was going to drop off someone at DFW airport in my trans am convertible.  They were searching vehicles, etc.  I drive up right behind a VW van being totally searched and told my friend that I wondered what they would think when they open my trunk and see a Bushmaster and Glock at the ready.  I drive up, the guy looks into the car and says to his buddy that my car is too small and there is no way that I could be hiding anything dangerous in the car - he waved me through....I always wondered what would have happened and how it would be portrayed in the media if they saw the EBR...

It is not illegal to bring guns to the airport!!!  You can even check your guns in luggage!!!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a carry permit with the state of TN. It is honored in over 25 states and I fly regularly once or twice a month. I always check my handguns, a S&W 4513 TSW and a Kel Tek 380. Only problem I have EVER had was at the Ft Lauderdale Airport. After I checked them with the Ticket Agent, which means they were unloaded, and was sitting waiting on the plane, they paged me to the TSA office. I went and was informed that I had tired to transport 2 loaded guns. I politely told him, “They are unloaded and I checked them with the ticket agent”. He said the X-ray showed they were loaded. I told him, “They are not loaded”. They then pulled them out of my luggage and had me unlock and open the case. I showed him they were empty. He told me “The mags are in the guns”, I said “So”. “They’re empty.” and “The Airline rules say just unloaded.” He proceeded to tell me, “We will stop you every time if the mags are in the gun”. They make up the rules as they go along. So now, I lay them beside the gun in the case. BS.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Exactly. I can't fault the officer here. He was doing what he's trained to do, to get you to give up information voluntarily. You volunteered information that was not relevant to the reason for the stop.

If you're going to be a blabbermouth during a traffic stop, don't complain about the consequences.

Pick up a copy of  "Tactics for Criminal Patrol". Educate yourself about what cops do during traffic stops and why they do it.

Volunteer nothing, do not to consent to search, know your rights and exercise them.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah we are always reading about the all hands shootouts at airports all the time.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Most cops aren't very smart.

Care to put your money where your mouth is?

Brian
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've kept a gun in my glovebox for 27 straight years, and I've never had my car broken into or a gun stolen. YET

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#43]
This cop is truely and idiot.  You can take a gun INTO the airport if you follow the NTSB rules.  Also, a speeding ticked for 5MPH over can be thrown out of court for the following reason: most speed detectors are accurate to +/- 2 mph.  Also, your speedometer is only accurate to +/- 2.4 mph.  Therefore, the cops must account for the error in their measurement plus the state approved error in your measurement.  That is why you generally can go 5mph over the speed limit.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah we are always reading about the all hands shootouts at airports all the time.

What if the one day you go into the airport happens to be the day Hajji and friends start shooting everyone in line with an AK? Not like it hasn't happened before...in Italy. Don't forget the Muslim man that was killed at the El Al counter at LAX.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Get the airports weapons policy in writing then contact the PD.  Some airports prohibit weapons anywhere on the property, including the parking structures, except those is secured containers to be placed in checked baggage by ticketed passengers. So get that airports policy first.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

It is not illegal to bring guns to the airport!!!  You can even check your guns in luggage!!!!

It is perfectly legal in most cases for a ticketed passenger to bring his firearm onto airport property for the purposes of travelling with it in his checked baggage. It is also sometimes illegal to bring a gun onto airport property if its not for that purpose.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
This cop is truely and idiot.  You can take a gun INTO the airport if you follow the NTSB rules.  

Can you take a handgun in your glovebox into the Chicago O'hare parking structures?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Quick thinking. 5 MPH over is bogus.

Why? he was going 10 MPH over the speed limit.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I'm on my way to the airport today (10AM) to catch a plane to visit my parents. I'm running a little late, so I'm doing a little faster than I should. I get radared and pulled over for doing 65mph in a 55mph. According to Texas law I immediately provide the Trooper with my CHL card and notify him that my handgun is in my glovebox. He instructs me to get out of the car and he starts asking me some questions like: "What kind of gun do you have?"..... "Do you have any other weapons in the car?" Then he asks me where I'm heading. So I tell him I'm heading to the airport to catch a plane to visit my parents. Then he starts to really freakout. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: " Well....I'm parking my car at the ariport and I won't be taking the gun in the airport with me. The gun will remain in my car".

Cop: "You can't take a gun onto airport property!!! What the hell are you thinking????"

Me: "To my knowledge there are no laws that prevent me from having a gun in my car at the airport while my car is parked."

Cop: "If you got caught with a gun in your car at the airport, how would you explain that? Are you telling me that you were going to park you car at the airport and leave your gun in it??????"

Me:  "Yes actually I was. How bout this? My Girlfriend lives on the way to the airport. How bout if I drop the gun off at her house on the way. Would that be ok?"

Did I miss something, or are there laws that prevent me from having a gun in my car on airport property?

The trooper is full of crap.  As a CHL holder, there is no law in Texas which forbides you from carrying a gun into the unsecured areas of an airport.  File a  complaint.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The trooper is full of crap.  As a CHL holder, there is no law in Texas which forbides you from carrying a gun into the unsecured areas of an airport.  File a  complaint.

Was it a public or private airport?  City operated or County operated?  You may need to check Muni Codes and County Ords to know if there are regulations preventing bringing firearms onto airport property other than those being checked into checked baggage by ticketed passengers.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top