Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 2:45:02 PM EDT
Can someone recommend a good router to play XBox Live with. I can't hook the XBox up directly to my cable modem because it's clear across the house by the computer.

I have ZERO knowledge about routers and need help. Are they just as fast as having a direct hook-up?

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Linksys routers are the best that I have dealt with.  Easier to configure, and more stable than any other brand of router, at least on my companies network.

I use a SonicWALL myself though.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you want a Wireless setup?

if so they make WiFi acess points for consoles and than you would just need a Wireless router
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

if so they make WiFi acess points for consoles and than you would just need a Wireless router

Increases latency and gives you more lag than if you hardwire it though.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I have  mine setup through a LInksys wireless router.  Its great!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I will have to go the wireless route. Were can I get a Linksys wireless router? How much do the usually run?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but he said somthing about it being acroos the house, as a bad thing.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will have to go the wireless route. Were can I get a Linksys wireless router? How much do the usually run?

Newegg.com

$45-$60

Defiantely consider going with a wired connection to the router.  You will thank me later.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its not difficult to run CAT5.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Newegg.com

$45-$60

Defiantely consider going with a wired connection to the router.  You will thank me later.

Can you tell that much of a difference with a good wireless Router? I don't want a cable running through my house.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its not difficult to run CAT5.

I know I have got CAT5 run all over the house.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Newegg.com

$45-$60

Can you tell that much of a difference with a good wireless Router? I don't want a cable running through my house.

I dont know if you will be able to notice a difference, but I certainly can.  Its up to you if you want to try it, but the wireless adapter for the console will cost an additional 60-something dollars, depending on where you get one.  Linksys makes one, which is the same one I had experience messing with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top