Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 9:38:14 PM EDT
If you buy someone a gift card from a business you are limiting them to that particular company and paying face value for the "privilage".  It seems to me that the store should sell their giftcard at about 80% of the face value as an incentive for you to lock in that business. Otherwise it would be better to just give cash and let the recipient shop where ever thay want to. Fight the power.  Just say no to the corporate gift card!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#1]
No to the giftcard?!

Are you smoking CRACK??

The giftcard is my FRIEND! Its not the most thoughtful gift, but its one of the easiest....and when you are fried from Christmas shopping, you learn to love the gift card.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you buy someone a gift card from a business you are limiting them to that particular company and paying face value for the "privilage".  It seems to me that the store should sell their giftcard at about 80% of the face value as an incentive for you to lock in that business. Otherwise it would be better to just give cash and let the recipient shop where ever thay want to. Fight the power.  Just say no to the corporate gift card!

Someplaces locally do that... I heard a radio ad for a tattoo and piercing shop selling $150 giftcards for $100  I think.. But I do agree with  you on a price break for gift cards.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate gift cards, its saying here I didn't want to really put an effort into your gift but want to limit your choice some what. It's just mean. I have had $1,000's in gift cards wasted

They just end up in a desk drawe and you find them 2 years later
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#5]
cash is considered too generic. It's easy to throw some bills in an envelope with no thought. It is the thought that counts. So, a gift card is a cheap way of attempting to make the individual think that you actually put some thought into the card. When in reality, you just grabbed a card so as to not go with "unthoughtful" cash.

Think of it this way.... sometihng's better than nothing. However, i don't get giftcards for people.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Some people if you dont give them gift card and say give them cash, they just blow the money on gas, beer, or cigarettes. At least with a gift card you know where they are going to spend the money.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Giving people cash is like saying "OK, I completely forgot to get you something so I just hit the ATM on the way over...Merry Christmas!"

Giving someone a gift card is saying "OK, I dragged my ass off the couch down to the damn shopping mall, parked a mile away, fought the hordes of inconsiderate assholes and when I couldn't find jack shit that you might like I decided to get you this card so you can pick out your own damn gift! Merry Christmas!"

It's the thought (and intense personal sacrifice) that counts.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I think they are great!  No wrong sizes, colors, brands, the recipient can actually get something they like, not what was chosen for them.  It's win, win all around!  Long live the gift card!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Problem with the discount is that people abuse it.  A local resturant did that and just about everyone at my table bought a whole bunch of gift cards at 120% value...and then used them themselves next time we ate there.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Problem with the discount is that people abuse it.  A local resturant did that and just about everyone at my table bought a whole bunch of gift cards at 120% value...and then used them themselves next time we ate there.

How is that abuse?  Someone will eventually use them for whatever value it doesn't matter who does it?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#12]
You can get prepaid visa or mastercard cards now. Use them anywhere where CC are accepted.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hate gift cards, its saying here I didn't want to really put an effort into your gift but want to limit your choice some what. It's just mean. I have had $1,000's in gift cards wasted

Do they expire?

If you read the small print most gift cards either expire or the account/amount owed begins to reduce by a set amount each month after a certain amount of time has elapsed without any activity.

They do this from a business and accounting standpoint.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I think they are great!  No wrong sizes, colors, brands, the recipient can actually get something they like, not what was chosen for them.  It's win, win all around!  Long live the gift card!

+1

i have no clue what Xbox game hubby wanted, so i got a giftcard and can get what he wants

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Let's see, I can get crap tools or stupid knick-nack shit that I either return/shitcan because no one understands that motorcycle and gun gifts cost $$ or else you can shove some cash or a cash card in an envelope and call it a day.

I had an uncle who asked me three times what I wanted and I told him a set of Bates custom leather gloves (I even gave him my hand measurement from the Bates chart).

He bought me a Franklin Mint Hardly-Ableson cast motorcycle, poster and tape for $150 MORe than the set of gloves would have cost.

I lugged that around for years before I sold it.

Give me a gift card or cash or else let me buy my gift.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do they expire?

If you read the small print most gift cards either expire or the account/amount owed begins to reduce by a set amount each month after a certain amount of time has elapsed without any activity.

They do this from a business and accounting standpoint.

Yeah but you see the part where it says "Except in CA?" they cant do that here.

CA has ONE thing right.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Personally I would rather have the gift card. Lets me choose what I want. A lot of people dont know my tastes so, there you have it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Cash just gets cycled into my spending money.  I prefer a gift card to someplace I shop regularly...that way I go there with the intent to buy myself a gift.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Let's see, I can get crap tools or stupid knick-nack shit that I either return/shitcan because no one understands that motorcycle and gun gifts cost $$ or else you can shove some cash or a cash card in an envelope and call it a day.

I had an uncle who asked me three times what I wanted and I told him a set of Bates custom leather gloves (I even gave him my hand measurement from the Bates chart).

He bought me a Franklin Mint Hardly-Ableson cast motorcycle, poster and tape for $150 MORe than the set of gloves would have cost.

I lugged that around for years before I sold it.

Give me a gift card or cash or else let me buy my gift.

The number one reason for gift cards!  Why do people ask what you want only to get something NOWHERE near what you asked for instead
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#20]
It maters where the gift card is from. If someone sent me a Wal-Mart gift card I would be pissed.  However, a gift card to something they knew I liked would be very considerate.  Although, I really do prefer money (hey I'm a poor college student I need it for "stuff").
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Sell them on ebay for .80 on the dollar before they expire.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I have spent liturally thousands over the years on expensive watches,jewlery, and clothes that my wife has never used or worn, my safe is full of that stuff. (I guess my daughter will inherit it all some day).

I too have recieved many gifts that didn't strike my fancy, so anymore I tell my wife to just give me a card and the cash she intended to spend on my gift and I will buy what I need/want, and I do the same for her. It may be 'impersonal' but it beats having a bunch of useless crap that you will never use.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:57:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Giftcard = Money + Thought (as in what store it is from) - Ugly Sweater

In other words, it's the safest thing a man can buy for his wife.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I am generally not fond of the gift card.  It usually means I have to go to the mall.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top