Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2005 9:13:10 PM EDT
Ever try to peel raw shrimp?  Why is it that shrimp caught in a surface "butterfly net" are so damned hard to peel while shrimp caught in a bottom drag trawl peel easily?  It took me an hour and a half to peel 5 pounds of fresh shrimp that should have take about 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I can peel shrimp fast, any kind I ever tried.

Get one of those deviner things, its a long red plastic thing
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to vote because you're from TN not LA.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Wrong!  I'm from La. Born south of I-10 and all that. My family stepped off of a boat into what is called New Orleans when Louisiana belonged to Spain. They were exiled from Acadie.  Anyone that knows jackshit about shrimp knows that shrimp caught in a papilon are harder to peel, they just don't know why.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong!  .

Did you miss the and the ???

Let me add....

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong!  .

Did you miss the and the ???

Let me add....

right back at ya!  And Merry Christmas too!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Do shimp caught by trawler come up dead ?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#9]
shrimp dredged from near the bottom undergo pressure changes which break down the connective tissue between the muscle and the exoskeleton.      

Your welcome

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

And Merry Christmas too!

w00t
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
shrimp dredged from near the bottom undergo pressure changes which break down the connective tissue between the muscle and the exoskeleton.      

Your welcome

GTF outa here!  This place is awsome!  Is there nothing that isn't known by the folks here?

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.

Somebody been watching Forest Gump?

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:39:33 AM EDT
[#13]

I cooked a great big seafood Gumbo yesterday . Family tradition for Christmas . Damn those shrimp were good !
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I cooked a great big seafood Gumbo yesterday . Family tradition for Christmas . Damn those shrimp were good !

No shit? Me too. Bon manger! I used to be the second best gumbo chef in the world, then my daddy died.......
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#15]
LOL For some reason, my mind processed,  "I've got the Hive Mind stumper right here." as  "I've got the Hive Mind bumper sticker right here." Imagine my confusion when I read the first post. 'You want that as a bumper sticker?'

I need to get some sleep.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#17]
more like 50 + ft.  Pressure increases very fast under water.   That's just a guess though.  Need a scuba diver to chime in with a better feel for depth.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your welcome

How deep are the "dredge/bottom" shrimp?  That would need to be a lot of pressure (200ft+).

Actually, the depth isn't as relevant as the speed of accent.  A diver can embolize from a depth of just 15 ft  on a rapid accent without exhaling.  How deep you come up from isn't nearly as important as how quickly you came up from there.  But then, I'm sure you know something I don't.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#19]
yum.  water roaches.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your welcome

How deep are the "dredge/bottom" shrimp?  That would need to be a lot of pressure (200ft+).

Actually, the depth isn't as relevant as the speed of accent.  A diver can embolize from a depth of just 15 ft  on a rapid accent without exhaling.  How deep you come up from isn't nearly as important as how quickly you came up from there.  But then, I'm sure you know something I don't.

No.. the little shrimpies died from the bends.  

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong!  I'm from La. Born south of I-10 and all that. My family stepped off of a boat into what is called New Orleans when Louisiana belonged to Spain. They were exiled from Acadie.  Anyone that knows jackshit about shrimp knows that shrimp caught in a papilon are harder to peel, they just don't know why.

Let's see???

They's shrimp salad,shrimp scampy, shimp criole,shrimp gumbo,shrimp burgers, pan fried shrimp,boiled shrimp,sauteed shrimp,bbq shrimp shrimp dip, stir fryed shrimp,shrimp and rice,shrimp stew,shrimp and mushrooms,shrimp kabobs,shrimp kiesh,shrimp pizza,shrimp and steak,shrimp soup,shrimp and vegatables and thats about all the ways they is to fix shrimps. They should all about peel the same.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Ever try to peel raw shrimp?  Why is it that shrimp caught in a surface "butterfly net" are so damned hard to peel while shrimp caught in a bottom drag trawl peel easily?  It took me an hour and a half to peel 5 pounds of fresh shrimp that should have take about 30 minutes.

Thats the first time I've heard this one...and I lived here Destin, Fl for 30 years.

Maybe it's the way you boil them, I've never have trouble if they were'nt boiled too long..if they stay in too long, they are hard to peel imo. The skin will stick harder if they are.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#27]
is there a good way to eat roaches?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats the first time I've heard this one...and I lived here Destin, Fl for 30 years.

Maybe it's the way you boil them, I've never have trouble if they were'nt boiled too long..if they stay in too long, they are hard to peel imo. The skin will stick harder if they are.

Overcook=hard peelie.
Have bottom trawled shrimp in shallow water and they're mostly dead.All the other crap in the net and water pressure/force does them in,I think.

Hell,I live on blue crabs-they're the aquatic cockroaches.Oh well,dead folks gotta go somewheres....
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are not raw shrimp any more if you boil them .

If headless it is easy . Stick the corner of the shell under your thumb nail pinch and pull . Pops the whole shell off in one motion .
Not that I do about 5# of these a day .
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Mmmmmmmm........ Deepsea Cockroaches....Mmmmmmmmmm

I LOVE em!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top