Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 12:54:25 PM EDT
Do you get to keep your .mil email address?  I get zero spam email with my ako email address, and am wondering if I'll get to keep it once I'm out.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#1]
When I got out, there was no such thing as a ".mil" address.  

Damn...I don't FEEL old.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#2]
been out two years, still have mine
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Damn...I don't FEEL old.

ditto
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
been out two years, still have mine

Sweet, did you retire or ets though?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
ETS
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ETS

Sweet, thanks.  Its a nice professional email address.  Better then handing out my gmail address I guess.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#7]
They shut my AKO down after 90 days.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Email address?   I thought you were supposed to tie your boots together and hang them from the power line out front of the barracks?

What the hell do they teach these guys nowadays!

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe in the Army.  In the AF you don't even keep it if you get stationed somewhere without NIPRNET access.  You would lose it when you outprocess your squadron for PCS.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Maybe in the Army.  In the AF you don't even keep it if you get stationed somewhere without NIPRNET access.  You would lose it when you outprocess your squadron for PCS.

^^correct
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
     Email address?   I thought you were supposed to tie your boots together and hang them from the power line out front of the barracks?

HAHA!
I tossed my spit shined Jump Boots in the wire at Ledward barracks when I left also.

Yea, email... In the 80's we used a pen and paper and waited 2 weeks for a reply!

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:12:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Damn...I don't FEEL old.

+1

I never even SAW a PC in the .mil (1984 - 1994)
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

^^correct

The Army uses both the AKO system (Armywide, follows you no matter where you go) and the outlook based email (mine is good for everything within the USARPAC area, I can email anyone within USARPAC just by searching their name and clicking on the right email address.)  I lose mine if I change UIC, dont even need to PCS because each battalion has their own computer geek that controls access among other things.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#14]
There were no .mil addys when I was in but then again there was no internet either.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Your email account *should* be terminated once you leave the service.
That usally happens when you out process, before your DD-214 goes into effect.

As far as the Navy and Marines go, with NMCI, your email account is *supposed to* follow you around as long as you are still on active military duty with a command that has a UIC.

Once you transfer from a command your email account is not shut off, you just don't have a UIC that your account can be attached to.

Some command computer geeks will not delete your account from the commands UIC so your account will still be active when you transfer.

Two years TheRedHorseman? Where do you check your email from?
What branch of the service?

I used to be able to check my local .mil email account from home, once it changed over to NMCI that went away.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Power line...

IMHO, Boots are best retired on Ebay...

(I have a few pair of black ones that will be making the trip soon enough... Yeah, it's early, but I just like the DCU/ACU boots better)...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Been out 20 years, We had Commadore 64's
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
There were no .mil addys when I was in but then again there was no internet either.

Same here   Damn I'm getting old.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Power line...

IMHO, Boots are best retired on Ebay...

(I have a few pair of black ones that will be making the trip soon enough... Yeah, it's early, but I just like the DCU/ACU boots better)...

Ive got 13 pairs of boots, 9 are black.  Two pairs have never been worn (a set of Rockies and a set of jungles), I wonder how much I can get for them all...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#20]
If you got out and are reserves or IRR you will keep it until your commitment is up. I've been out since early 02 and still have mine because of this.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#21]
They didn't even have computers when I ETSed in March of 1970.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top