Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2005 12:44:31 PM EDT
AS you know here in Nueva Jork our gun stores are horrible. Either they are waay over priced, or it's a crappy walk in closet with some old crank and his nasty Dominican cigars! But once in a while if you troll those olde tyme gunstores you can find a real jewel! Usually in a bin filled with half rotted old leather holsters and nylon mag pouches. Well anyhew, this guy who i've been to a couple of times told me he was probably going to close up in a year of so, so he told me it was 20% off everything!! So after i mentioned there was a drought of 7.62x39 on the net (for 1000 rounds packs) he said he had some "junk" old surplus AK ammo from 1989!!  IT was steel cased and kinda tarnished, in most cases i would say it was crap and wolf was 10 times better! And he was kinda asking as much as normal ammo for them despite their bad shape. But im no fool! so i cracked open a wrapper and looked at the headstamp and just bought 40 rounds. (i'd be back after some internet digging) Turns out it was Chinese STEEL CORE!! And he only wanted 10 cents a round for them! He obviously did'nt know what he had there! Or that it was much more expensive than normal stuff since it is now banned from importation. So suffice to say I cleaned him OUT! I got 700 rounds of the stuff for a song! I was wondering has anyone here ever found such bargains?? From some guy who did'nt know what he had? Thing is, i think he thought that he had ME at a disadvantage! Once i mentioned the "drought" he brought it up several times during the negotiations on price saying things like "well you never know when the next shipment from China or russia is gonna get here!" I guess he still thought China was importing ammo here.
I walked around with a big shit eating grin for a week, Merry Christmas! Anyone else find a bargain like that in their life???
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#1]
yes you suck
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I won the draft lottery once....
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#3]
how much did you pay for the whole lot?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I paid about $85 for 700 rounds tax included. So that's like what? 12 cents a round or something? Problem is i realised I cant shoot the stuff!! It's too collectable for me and i'm saving it for the "Dawn of the dead"              

them ---->            <----me          
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Was 700 rounds all he had?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a good deal, my roommate just got a smoking deal on a Luger. My father-in-law found it at his sister's house. It was left by her ex-husband in a closet. It was a 1941 Mauser with all matching serial numbers (except the magazine). I guess it was in 80%-90% condition. My roommate picked that beauty up for $500.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not just sell it for more?  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I paid about $85 for 700 rounds tax included. So that's like what? 12 cents a round or something? Problem is i realised I cant shoot the stuff!! It's too collectable for me and i'm saving it for the "Dawn of the dead"              

them ---->            <----me          

What is it worth ? I have a whole sealed wooden case with two spam  cans of the '89 era chinese. Also have half a case in M16 bandoliers on the original stripper clips

It was always my SHTF stash

My biggest find was a brand new un-issued Finn M-39 for $150 at your typical duck and deer hunter gun shop. I see they are going for $369 online.

**and I know "brand new" is an oxymoron with a M39- Mosin rifle .
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I still have three 550 rd spam cans of Chicom steel core
on stripper clips . I think I paid $20 a can for it back
in the days of $75 chinese SKS's .

At that time the ammo was considerd junk and so cheap
we didn't even bother to save the stripper clips

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I still have three 550 rd spam cans of Chicom steel core
on stripper clips . I think I paid $20 a can for it back
in the days of $75 chinese SKS's .

At that time the ammo was considerd junk and so cheap
we didn't even bother to save the stripper clips

Yep, me too. My ChiCom SKS was $69.00 at a local Michigan gunshow . Brand new in cosmo.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I read somewhere that the powder would turn bad in that old chicom stuff and would hurt the shooter and his weapon. Better send it off to me and I'll dispose of it properly for you.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Was 700 rounds all he had?

If by that do you mean can you get some?? NO! cause if he had anymore i'da kept my mouth shut and bought it all out. I would gone into credit card debt if need be.

As to price for steel core, well it depends but it has to be going for at least 25 cents a round? right? it's gotta be more expensive that Federal brass case lead core SP! I've seen small quantaties floating about the net for a lot.

As to selling it myself? well no, 700 rounds aint that much, now maybe if i had 3000 rounds...................

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#14]
There was a Surplus store in Tally that had Pre-Ban AR mags for like 5 dollars during the ban so I bought all seven they had and I didnt even own an AR then. Found a couple of more off 'em when they turned up, and bought them  too
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I read somewhere that the powder would turn bad in that old chicom stuff and would hurt the shooter and his weapon. Better send it off to me and I'll dispose of it properly for you.  

Nothing can hurt my AK! nothing ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
*i do belive it's possessed by the devil! When the box was first opened in my house (NIB) the bolt stuck on the first try and when i figited with it my skin got caught between the bolt and cover and it drew some blood!  i went to get a towel and when i returned the blood that was on the gun had dissappeared! Like it somehow maybe got absorbed/Drunk in to the reciever?????
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Jumbo Sports (when they were still around years agao) was clearing out their gun safe and I bought a NIB Taurus 94 for $105.  I passed on a Browning A-Bolt European style at the same sale that they wanted $275 for.    
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I got and SAR-1 for $275. Was that good?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top