Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 6:54:17 AM EDT
Fish head with two mouths heads to Harvard

December 23, 2005

LINCOLN, Neb. --

People may need top grades to get into Ivy league schools.  But two mouths is all it took to get a fish into Harvard University.

The head of a double-jawed fish pulled from Nebraska's Holmes Lake will be off to Harvard next week. James Lee, a research fellow at Harvard's Museum of Comparative Zoology, contacted fisherman Clarence Olberding about donating his curious catch for research.

"I'm interested in seeing what the actual jaw anatomy is," Lee said. He wants to determine whether the extra jaw is a result of an injury, or if it's an actual jaw.

Olberding, 57, caught the two-mouthed rainbow trout Saturday. After taking a couple of photos, he cut off the head and put both pieces in the freezer.

The fish head will eventually be on display, crediting Olberding with the donation and catch.

Nebraska Game and Parks Commission fisheries officials said the deformity may be a genetic mutation, but that the fish is fine to eat.

Olberding plans to smoke and eat the trout.

"I wish I would have kept it intact and had it mounted," he said. "But I think it's going to the right place."
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#1]
The first stories of this that appeared, the Nebraska guy just said that he was just going to go ahead and eat it like normal.

-----
That goober would have dumped a brick in his shorts if he woke up the next day and HE had two mouths....
~
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:54:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Fish head with two mouths heads to Harvard

See, you too can get into an Ivy League school if you have enough money and connection.  GPA be damned.  Bet the Fishy's Daddy just made a substantial donation to Harvard, and there will be a new koi pond wing soon.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#3]
dupe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top