Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 11:24:11 PM EDT
The little lady brought this up tonight and it really hit home for me.

With the small collection i have, I know of no one i can pass them on to that will cherish and protect them as i have.

Do you know for sure that you will passing them down to a gun enthusiast\fellow gun nut?

or will your firearms be split up among family members that will keep them in a closet for 15 years andthen sold because the have no use for them?

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:54:51 PM EDT
[#1]
It'll make my son a happy, happy, man.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I will take them ALL with me...my weapons that is
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I can tell you what happend when my Dad passed away .......by the time I flew to CA (12 hours total)...it was gone .........................Nice neighbor watchin the house .....says none of it was there ...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:02:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Damn right!

You know, I've got a nice little collection, nuthin' compared to what I've heard of on these boards, but still a nice collection of weapons that go from .22 to .50 BMG.

My sincere hope, my prayer even, is that they never have any useful purpose, except to pass on to my son Samuel Nathan Rose (a good Christian Name and I'm proud of it), my stash of weaponry.

Peace be to you all this Christmas season.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:03:53 AM EDT
[#5]
My hunting rifles go to my boy.

My fun guns will be covered in grease, vacuum packed and buried with me.  That way if the s ever hit the fan my family can dig them up and thank me personally.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#6]
If my wife lives longer than I , She'll put them on the EE, so treat her RIGHT
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:13:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know about you but I'm waiting on my FIL to 'go'

Seriously. By the time I go my son will have a veritable arsenal. FIL has already said his 30+ handguns and 15+ rifles are going to my son once he passes. My collection ~5 rifles and ~5 handguns(so far) will also go to my son, unless I give some to my brothers as gifts.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:18:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Semis will be divided among my brothers and my nephew, MG's  will be sold and the procedes divided. Unfortunately for them, I ain't goin any where any time soon.....
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Semis will be divided among my brothers and my nephew, MG's  will be sold and the procedes divided. Unfortunately for them, I ain't goin any where any time soon.....

Why not sell the Autos cheap to family members?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:07:07 AM EDT
[#10]
My coin collection will be safe...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:38:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm leaving my daughter my SCUBA gear so she can retrieve the weapons I lost in that boating accident.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:45:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm guessing they'll be at my side, actions open, still smoking, and covered with my blood.  Right next to the large pile of spent brass.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:49:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I've though about this because I have the same problem. The right thing to do would be to sell them and leave money as that is more useful to my wife and daughter. I hope I have enough warning to handle that myself, but I plan on locating a trusted friend to do that for me if I can not.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:08:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm guessing they'll be at my side, actions open, still smoking, and covered with my blood.  Right next to the large pile of spent brass.

+1, hell yeah, that's how I wanna go out. Well, that or in my sleep

As it stands right now the guns get split between my family and friends.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:20:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:29:01 AM EDT
[#16]
A very few will go to family and friends.
The majority will be sold and the proceeds
will go to the NRA.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:43:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I can tell you what happend when my Dad passed away .......by the time I flew to CA (12 hours total)...it was gone .........................Nice neighbor watchin the house .....says none of it was there ...

That's why I  have an inventory and photo's of the stuff in my parents house.  Sorry to hear that.  O,,and I'd find a way to make the nice neighbors stuff to never have been there either, other than a burnt out pock mark on the face of the earth in that neighborhood.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:44:36 AM EDT
[#18]
if i can't take "em with me, i ain't goin !!!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:58:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I am a little concerned about this.  I have 2 daughters and a wife that dont give a hoot about firearms.  Hopefully my daughters will marry someone that I like and get along with and loves guns.  Other than that, I am going to will them to my best friend, a fellow gun nut.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:02:32 AM EDT
[#20]
All my collection goes to my brother.  I have no children.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:08:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm going to be buried in my car withthe doors welded shut.

You cant take it with you but nothing says you have to leave it behind.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:11:20 AM EDT
[#22]
divided between my nephews
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:12:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Check the LEGAL section for my bequeathing firearms question, please. If anyone has thought past ...
"I'm gonna do ..." And actually done some planning/prep, I'd love to hear it.  Stay safe
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:14:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Gotta think about this one for awhile. I'm 31 and have no children and none planned.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:42:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

My fun guns will be covered in grease, vacuum packed and buried with me.  That way if the s ever hit the fan my family can dig them up and thank me personally.

That's good if you come back as a zombie too.  I'd load up some mags and vacumn seal them too.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:45:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's good if you come back as a zombie too.  I'd load up some mags and vacumn seal them too.

Huh, I had not considered that I might need some firearms after death.  What would a zombie need do you think?

Oh, yeah, my son will take most of them. I have a grandson who will have some really nice weapons if he wants them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:51:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Well some of mine have been in the family for generations so those will go to the next family member in line. The rest will be sold by the wife and kids if that is what they want. Everyone should have a list available to those loved ones with an estimated value and market value. This will prevent them from being hosed by the dealer or friends.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:02:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Probably go to the youngest daughter; shes the one who has expressed an interest and some skill in shooting.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:12:28 AM EDT
[#29]
I just went through this last week with the passing of my father. Everyone scarfed up his guns totally overlooking the guns that meant the most to him. One was a battered 788 that he had accurized about 18 years ago, It looked rough, but it is a hotrod that he carried every time he went into the woods and was the only weapon he owned that had his personality in it. The other is an old High Standard .22 cal pistol that was the only gun given to him by his father. No one else knew the history of his guns and just grabbed all the shiney stuff.
But to tell  the truth,The guns I got would have been exactly the ones he would have left to me and the ones I care about the most.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:26:51 AM EDT
[#30]
You guys could will them to me and I will take very, very good care of them, just incase you come back!
P.S.  I can't guarantee the ammo though.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#31]
My AR will go to my nephew, my 10/22 and the shotgun I'm fixin to get will go to my grandsons, and the handguns will get divvied up between the boys, my nieces, and the grandprincess.  Any future acquisitions will be determined on a gun-by-gun basis.

Oh, and my granddaughter gets my knife.

My sister and my daughter are not happy.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:37:54 AM EDT
[#32]

I will depend on if I die suddenly , or if I have time to make my own decision .  My wife would divide them up between my two sons and any Grandsons .  If it were up to me , one of my sons wouldn't get any of the good stuff . I don't trust him to take care of them and keep them in the family .

Not sure what the hell to do with my coin collection . Nobody's interested in coins .  Oh shit ,
I have a bunch of knives too .  You see what you started ?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:46:43 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not sell the Autos cheap to family members?

I have three brothers and a nephew, but only 2 MG's.  Easier and more fair just to sell them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Devide them up to ARFCOM members. There will be 100 happy guys. The Colts will only go to those who frequent the Colt section.
They will go to my wife and son mostly, with several going to family members like my bro's kids and sis's kid. [He is a bonifide WW2 nut at 12 years old and will get a Garand] Hopefully it will be quite a while down the road.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I have three brothers and a nephew, but only 2 MG's.  Easier and more fair just to sell them.

Sounds like someone needs to buy 2 more MG's...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like someone needs to buy 2 more MG's...

Working on it as we speak!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:54:10 AM EDT
[#37]
If things work like when my grandfather died. My mother and grandmother had a garage sale to sell off some stuff.
My grandfather was a big fisherman had all the lastest equipment.
Me- Hey gg/mom what you doing?
Mom- Cleaning out the garage selling stuff GG don't need.
Me -  Where's the boat motors? There were two a 4 and a 6hp?
GG - Some nice man bought them he gave 75.00 a piece can you believe that?
GG - He also ask if there was any thing else for fishing?
Me - I don't want to hear no more I need a drink.

I have a wife and two daughters. Hopefully my future son in laws like firearms
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:55:54 AM EDT
[#38]
I wrestled with this before going to Iraq as I have no (known) children.

The Winchester 88 that I inherited from my grandfather goes to my cousin's son on that side of the family. They live in Minnesota and her husband is a deer hunter.

As for the rest, I need to designate which of my friends get which weapons. I was going to send out a spreadsheet telling them to prioritize what they wanted so that I had an idea who wanted what. I never did that as it seemed a bit morbid to me. I'll probably do it before I head back for another interation of contract work in one of this planet's shitholes.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#39]
considdering a this point its doubtful ill get married or have children of my own and my nieces and nephuses only see the dollar value of my collection.

i think ill just hire a lawyer with instructions to sell them off and donate the proceeds to the american humain society.
my muts have brought me a lot more joy than my relations have. I figure its the best way i can pay all the dogs ive had back.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:05:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Mine will be used as evidence for the prosecution. Estate of Moparman71 v. United States. A challenge to the right of eminent domain. Defended by AG Chuckles Schumer. I'm expecting all the arfcommers to contribute to my family's legal fund.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#41]
I dunno, but everytime I see the police hauling a shitload of guns outta some dead guy's apartment or house, I wonder if an arfcommer died...

"Arsenal found in local man's home"
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:20:00 AM EDT
[#42]
My dad will get the coordinates for the boat accident.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:22:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Each kid and wife,will get as much as he/she can carry.Same with my brothers.The rest go on the floating funeral barge,and up in flames,with me.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#44]
I have a Remington 870P that belong to my grandfather. It will have his name and birth/death dates engraved on it as well as my Dad's and mine.

It's the "guilt trip" method. Even gun hating descendents will feel compelled to keep it because it becomes a family heirloom and would show disrespect to ancestors to dispose of it!

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#45]
When I die, the same thing will happen to all my possessions that happens while I'm alive: everyone trashes them, kicks them into some obscure hiding place, and leaves them to rot. It took me over a week to find what they had done to a bag of delicate electronics and a couple Christmas gifts that I'd told everyone to leave alone. They actually removed it from the out-of-the-way, secure place I'd set it, hid it for a week, then it suddenly showed up on my bed with all the contents dumped out and scattered to the four corners of the earth.

I'm STILL trying to find what they did to the few pieces of camping gear I own. I set them aside to be cleaned out TWO YEARS AGO, got up to get something, came back, and they were gone. Haven't seen them since. No matter what it is or where I put it, somebody in this house will find it and either destroy it or do their best to lose it for all eternity. God only knows what they did to my USGI 30-rnd M-16 magazines I've held onto all these years. Heck, half of my clothing disappears after I've only worn it once. Sometimes I don't even get to do that; I buy some shirts or pants or something, come home, and they disappear immediately. Every time I do laundry, I have less and less clothing. At the rate it's going, I'm going to be buck naked by new year's.

None of my things get any respect while I'm alive and capable of kicking ass when people piss me off, why would it be any different when I'm dead?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#46]
I have two sons, hopefully, one or both of them will appreciate the collection.

My real problem, and my son's for that matter, is that my father has a huge collection, and I will be the sole beneficiary.  My brother isn't in to guns that much.   I will have to give up some of my monetary inheritance to get his collection, while my brother and my wicked step-mother get more money.  My wife is not real happy about this either, but I want my dad to feel good about the fact that his collection will not be totally broken up and sold off just for money.  I'm going to literally have to buy a new house to keep them all.  

I don't want to tell my dad this, but I will probably sell of some of the doubles(read as multiple of one type of gun)  that he has.   I will  keep the ones that meant the most to him, but I don't need 4 Browning Citoris. (not that I don't want all of them, but he has probably in the neighborhood of two doezen O/U's alone! I will never tell him this; for the same reasons that I hope my son's never tell me that they don't need 4 AR's.   I will, however, make sure that the money from those guns goes back into the collection.  My dad would like that.

I will keep his collection and pass it on to his grandsons....hopefully they will have a big enough house to keep most of his and my collections together.

Dang, I envy my sons

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#47]
I plan on taking it with me.

Roy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top