Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 10:19:07 PM EDT
You think you should ge a raise if the title you recive has the word "Engineer" in it?

Ill be getting a pager and title of  "IT Problem Diagnostic Engineer!", and was just curious, as I never really had a "title" before.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#1]
If they gave you a pager you're screwed.  

People who are given pagers are expected to answer them.  Day or night.  Rain or shine.

Enjoy your new title.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If they gave you a pager you're screwed.  

People who are given pagers are expected to answer them.  Day or night.  Rain or shine.

Enjoy your new title.

No shit. I'm doing my damnedest to climb the corporate ladder without getting the E-leash stuck on me.

Cause once they hook that electronic beeping, buzzinf leash on you, your ass is theirs.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#3]
NO biggy to me. Ill get paid for any time im not on the clock answering pages, thats one thing there really good about doing. And since I only sleep maybe 6 hours a day anyway. No biggy.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:38:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
NO biggy to me. Ill get paid for any time im not on the clock answering pages, thats one thing there really good about doing. And since I only sleep maybe 6 hours a day anyway. No biggy.

You say that now....
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That's what I thought.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#6]
My e-leash gets turned off once I step outside the front door. Um well except when I have to make a personal call!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Is someone gonna answer the damn question?  hehehehe
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Day one:  Beep beep beep.  Oh, a page at 2 am, well, I'm fresh.  "How may I help you?"

Day seventy:  Beep beep beep.  Another 2 am page?  It better not be the same goddam idiot from the last seven nights......  "How may I help you"

Day two hundred:  Beep beep beep.  At least they waited till 2:12 this time.  "What do you guys want?"

Day three thousand:  Beep beep beep.  (unprintable profanity)  Oh that's just great, they woke the baby again.  This better be good.  They don't pay me enough to put up with this shit!  "What the hell is it this time?!?!?"

Etc.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Titles are frequently given in lieu of a raise in pay; so the answer to your question is NO.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Day one:  Beep beep beep.  Oh, a page at 2 am, well, I'm fresh.  "How may I help you?"

Day seventy:  Beep beep beep.  Another 2 am page?  It better not be the same goddam idiot from the last seven nights......  "How may I help you"

Day two hundred:  Beep beep beep.  At least they waited till 2:12 this time.  "What do you guys want?"

Day three thousand:  Beep beep beep.  (unprintable profanity)  Oh that's just great, they woke the baby again.  This better be good.  They don't pay me enough to put up with this shit!  "What the hell is it this time?!?!?"

Etc.

I work nights.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Titles are frequently given in lieu of a raise in pay; so the answer to your question is NO.

Damn. Oh well, will look good on a resume I guess.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Be sure to post pics of the first firearm you get with your newly found overtime pay.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Etc.

I work nights.

Then substitute 2 pm for 2am.  And good luck getting back to sleep.

Oh, and your boss' wife says GET OFF THE INTERNET AND GET BACK TO WORK!

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Heh, we're getting comped for pager time starting in January--it rotates through a few of us.  Most of my cohorts are married with kids and don't want it, so I'll be getting it.  I'll be good with the extra dough.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a very good title.  "Hey, You!"  I know they're talking to me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Engineering Technician. Nope no raise here.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:23:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You say that now....

+1
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Being on call sucks.  I am on call about every 4 weeks for a week at a time.  I hate those late night/early morning call outs.  When I'm called out, it's because someone lost their life in a most violent manner, or is about to lose their life.  

Oh...my title...  Traffic Homicide Investigator

Forgot to add, I got a raise with that title.  Also got one when I became a Firearms Instructor... and another one when I got on the Motors.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:44:07 AM EDT
[#19]
You can have "It":
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#20]
You will grow to look apon your pager as a festering painful sore that you cannot heal

Actually, it will get to be old shit after awhile.  Often the person doing the paging has no clue.  They just know you have the magic touch to make the problems go away.

I've begun to implement an "idiot fine" when the callout is for something stupid.  If the company is going to waste my time I pad my callout time accordingly.

For perspective, we get paid time and a half for callouts when we can fix a problem from home & double time if we have to leave.  The are calculated at a 2hr minimum.  Most switching system techs "say" all their callout of the double time nature & hose the company for the extra $$.  

One of the more lucretive callouts where maximum idiot fine was implemented, I was called out to work a small (really small) problem in an area about 150 miles from home during a snow storm.  They paid me about 8 hours at double time for just driving.  It took me almost 60 seconds to fix a problem.  I had to push a reset button.  I spent about 2 hours paid time shopping in Cabela's on that trip.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:55:37 AM EDT
[#21]
At work, I'm known as the MUD Engineer... Top that!

Its not a joke.

ETA:  To answer your question: YES, anyone with Engineer in their title deserves a big ass raise
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:58:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a teather and am in the habit of telling them I will be there in three or four hours as I'm on another call. Oh and when I get a call someone is suspended or fired.

You will grow to look apon your pager as a festering painful sore that you cannot heal

Actually, it will get to be old shit after awhile. Often the person doing the paging has no clue. They just know you have the magic touch to make the problems go away.

I've begun to implement an "idiot fine" when the callout is for something stupid. If the company is going to waste my time I pad my callout time accordingly.

For perspective, we get paid time and a half for callouts when we can fix a problem from home & double time if we have to leave. The are calculated at a 2hr minimum. Most switching system techs "say" all their callout of the double time nature & hose the company for the extra $$.

One of the more lucretive callouts where maximum idiot fine was implemented, I was called out to work a small (really small) problem in an area about 150 miles from home during a snow storm. They paid me about 8 hours at double time for just driving. It took me almost 60 seconds to fix a problem. I had to push a reset button. I spent about 2 hours paid time shopping in Cabela's on that trip.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:05:29 AM EDT
[#23]
pager + salary = shaft

I was a "field engineer " for a company .....paid $12 an hour.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:23:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Its not a joke.

ETA:  To answer your question: YES, anyone with Engineer in their title deserves a big ass raise

My Dad, Dad's best friend and my Uncle were/are Mud Engineers. Magobar/Dresser/Haliburton and others, those are just the ones I remember.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:23:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
You think you should ge a raise if the title you recive has the word "Engineer" in it?

Ill be getting a pager and title of  "IT Problem Diagnostic Engineer!", and was just curious, as I never really had a "title" before.

I think so...

I have worked at companies that are free with promotions and added responsibilities but do not back that up with salary. Not good unless they have some other way to compensate you, like lots of good professional training. Eventually they have to pay you or you will shop your skills around.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:35:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Well, according to them, they did give you a raise.....you just got paid in "Prestige"

Money??....Bwahahahaha....Sorry Bub, but if you'd like another title , we've got a whole box of'em.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:48:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Hmmmmm.   I sense a bit of cynicism in these posts.  I wonder why?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:02:49 AM EDT
[#28]
<--- Halliburton/Baroid

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its not a joke.

My Dad, Dad's best friend and my Uncle were/are Mud Engineers. Magobar/Dresser/Haliburton and others, those are just the ones I remember.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:12:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:54:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Okay.

HR believes that engineers are a special breed of technician and can't believe university degrees are awarded to people that know how to make electricity from the hydro dams they erected with giant machines fabricated from steel that came from rocks they dig out of the ground.

No.  Your stature went down.

I get a chuckle from all the self important worker bees with company assigned pagers and cell phones, particularly when they also carry a day planner; they are badges of dumbass in my opinion and I never miss an opportunity to comment on the yuppy notebooks.  I can carry all the phone numbers, charge numbers, and various other junk needed daily on two to four 3X5 cards in my shirt pocket.  If someone needs me, they can email or call on the phone.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:06:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Dude.......

A pager?

You might as well put your P99 in your mouth!

God hates you becasue you like Fieros.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:15:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I am a Quality Assurance Engineer.

For a software company.
I code.
I script.
I test.
I have a degree in Electrical Engineering.
I get paid higher than average income because I have skills and education that the average person does not have.

And I get so F'ing pissed when when someone says that they are a Quality Assurance "Engineer", and they check plastic parts for blemishes on an assembly line.

Titles seem to mean nothing anymore.

When people ask what I do and I say my title I have to then immedeatly follow it with "for a software company" to stop people from thinking I inspect underware for Fruit Of The Loom and put a QA sticker on them.

My last job I was also a QA Engineer, but my title was Software Engineer.  It made life simpler, even though it was not really what I did.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:52:40 AM EDT
[#33]
I suppose a trainer at a women's fitness club is a QA Engineer, also - Quality Ass Engineer!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I hate anything in IT with the title "Engineer" in it. It's a trap, run away!

I have a sister-in-law that is a real ME, with her PE. Nothing torques her faster than some dweeb having a title of 'Network Engineer' when the dweeb never took engineering class one and thinks PE is some dodge ball class.

I had my cards printed with 'Network Janitor'. Seemed more appropriate, still does.

Then after the last merger they made me take that off, then they just took the cards period. I'm not worthy anymore nor qualified but please continue the work you've been doing.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok, ham it up:  I'm a "Technical Staff Member"

No pager yet, thank God!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top